Car stereo installation on an 03

matthew954

Hey guys, I'm finally looking to replace the stereo in my Pathy. What parts would I need to be able to have it done? A buddy of mine is good at stereo installation, and it'll only cost me a pizza to have it done lol. I've decided on the stereo I want, but I have no idea what parts I need to install it.

Heres the stereo I want:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-FH-X700BT-In-Dash-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B0091UW7F6/ref=sr_1_4?srs=2530157011&ie=UTF8&qid=1377475459&sr=8-4&keywords=pioneer+stereo

You'll need a wiring harness, and probably a single-DIN installation kit if you don't want a hole below the radio.

Will you be using the stock Bose speakers? If so, you'll also need a line-output converter to maintain compatibility with the speakers. If you will be replacing all four door speakers, I highly suggest your friend run new speaker wire to each door since the existing wiring must be modified to bypass the Bose speakers' amps and that is a headache.

I just installed that stereo in a buddy's Xterra the other day. Neat unit.

Edited by Towncivilian
  • Like 1

Just checked on Crutchfield.com, weird, for a 2003 SE with or without the Bose system it says it fits, I changed it to a 2003 LE and it says it doesn't fit??

Crutchfield says to install this radio no installation kit is required, all they give you if you buy it from them is a trim piece, and the harness.

Sorry, my mistake - you are correct that you won't need an installation kit. It will fit fine without any further accessories.

I still believe you require a line-output converter, because the stock Bose speakers are all 2-ohm and the radio only supports 4 or 8 ohm speakers, plus the stock Bose speaker amps will still be operational.

Does his truck have the Bose system?

Good question, I thought MrT was the OP since he said he has the Bose system.

Bose = line-output converter required

Stock/base speakers = plug in radio, you're good to go

Yeah my truck has the Bose sound system in it. SO I'm going to need a wiring harness, radio antennae adapter, and a line output converter. Trying to find this out now, so I can order everything at the same time. I hate buying stuff and having to wait on parts later on lol.

Sweet, I just checked Pioneers website. It says it have 2 preamp outputs. I assume I can use the other output for like a sub? Sorry but car audio has never been a strong suit of mine lol.

If you order it from Crutchfield, they have it for $149 which I know is more than Amazon but they don't charge tax or shipping and also include the harness for the radio, the trim plate, the instructions, antenna adapter and have the adapter for the Bose for $14.99 if you buy it at the same time you buy the radio (otherwise it's $29.99). I always buy from Crutchfield when I can, free lifetime tech support is nice too !

• Like 1

Sounds good, I think Crutchfield is my best and cheapest route. I can't wait to upgrade. I plan on using my old Droid Incredible as an MP3 player with the Bluetooth function. I don't want to waste the battery of my iPhone 5 when my Incredible is just gathering dust. I have a use for it again!

I have seen some real screwed up radio installs in my life so this is just a little note for you when your buddy is hooking up your stereo.These Jap vehicles dont like there wires cut into and messed with for sure! :FartExplode-vi:

Just make sure your buddy does not cut into any wires and use them just because his test light says there is power coming from them!If he is using the right harness it should be ok? Make sure he gets the Positive and negatives on the speaker wires right also they are not black and white they are all different colors with and without stripes. Get a wiring diagram.You can really mess up alot of things just hooking up a radio if it is not done correctly.

Not sure on the 2003 but Most Nissan's I have dealt with as far as the radio do not have the ground wire in the harness, best to just run the ground for the new radio to metal some where near the radio.

The Xterra I installed the same radio in grounds through the radio antenna cable.

So does my wd21. I discovered the antenna is actually grounded to the body where it comes up to the windshield for the windshield part of the antenna (not sure if the X or r50s have it).

So basically like ahardbody said it grounds through the body, some way or another :lol:

The radio chassis is almost always grounded. So it will ground through the chassis. Wouldn't bother running a separate ground. Easy way to get a ground loop which will give you a nasty hummmmmmmmmm

Just got my stereo installed last night. Took about 3 hours of soldering, and drilling to get everything installed. The hard part was getting the brackets off from the Bose head unit. Who ever installed the unit must have used an impact wrench to mount it. BUT everything works really well. I'm loving the Bluetooth function on it, and it thumps ALOT more than the Bose unit. Although I am just kind of missing the CD changer a bit.