Anyone heard of Dip Your Car?

linewar

It's a process to "paint" your car with a fusing plastic. You spray it on like a normal paint job, but then when you get tired of it you can peel it off by hand and paint it a different color. Could come in handy for me since my hood and roof could use a repaint - this may be a viable option. Want to see if anyone has used it/ heard of it/ know someone/ etc.

Link: https://www.dipyourcar.com/

Pic: (I dig the matte finish)

black_2.jpg

Ya, I'm kind of digging it. The price comparison is much lower than a paint job, I like a matte finish, and you can literally apply it in the driveway since you can peel off any overspray. I'm thinking camo green or brown. . . but the koi orange may be a possibility if I'm feeling spunky. ;)

Plastidip is awesome, I've done my front bumper, rear window hinges, the Nissan grille emblem. I've considered doing my entire truck, I've seen a few cars around that have it done. Some look good, some are kinda bleh. Good prep work goes a long way if you are gonna do the entire thing.

FYI, you can't get it by the gallon in California anymore, thanks to some law.

• Like 1

Go figure that Cali would have some kind of law that makes common sense null and void. Hehhh. What kind of prep work is required? Cleaning/ etching, etc?

As for a whole R50, they sell kits on their site and I think it's 3 gallons for an SUV and 2 for a regular sedan.

My hood is oxidizing really bad between the windshield washer ports, and the roof is doing the same thing now. Heck, it's been on there since October 1995, so at almost 18 years old, I guess it has the right to do that, lol.

Nice! I really want to paint my LEGO's cheaply, especially the plastic caps...I was going to ask the forum if they anyone knoew how to match the original color, but maybe I'll do this instead.

What do you guys think, my truck is black? I like the black, charcoal, gunmetal and anthracite (if you scroll down half way and look at the wheels)

https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages.php?pageid=48

Edited by mickyficky

I'm not too concerned about it looking "bleh" , I'd actually be looking for something somewhat "bleh" .

I've got a "bad wheel" of the human type , and the mud brown color with a few tan accents done in a non reflective finish might let me park a little closer to the goose pit.... :laugh:

I used the aerosol on the (now winter set) wheels on my wife Blazer and some other random odds/ends (including a shovel handle, it helped with the feel of the bare metal). It seems to have taken over the 'bedliner everything' fad locally (don't get me wrong, I like my bedliner) as I've seen a few cars locally that have been "dipped" (childish mind thinks rodger rabbit every time I say/type that) as said some good/some not so much.

nunya, does it hold up alright?

Like Beatup siad, I don't really care about it looking good, they already look crappy, just thought it'll look better, but I don't want to deal with it peeling.

I'm thinking the anthracite wheel on a black '95 would look good.

Go figure that Cali would have some kind of law that makes common sense null and void. Hehhh. What kind of prep work is required? Cleaning/ etching, etc?

As for a whole R50, they sell kits on their site and I think it's 3 gallons for an SUV and 2 for a regular sedan.

My hood is oxidizing really bad between the windshield washer ports, and the roof is doing the same thing now. Heck, it's been on there since October 1995, so at almost 18 years old, I guess it has the right to do that, lol.

I just cleaned the wheels with some go-jo gel hand cleaner (not the abrasive kind) to get the brake dust off, made sure they were dry and went at it. Don't do it in bright sun, it dries too fast and leaves a crappy finish. It took 6 coats on each wheel to make it smooth, which is about half a can.

Edited by JJ331

Only "pealing" issue I had was when changing a couple tires the lip got nicked by the machine (I take the blame but it was my wife doing the tire swapping. Was the machine though and not her fault anyway). A quick spray of the can took care of it. We didn't want a silky smooth finish (like the kinda texture look) and spraying them in direct sunlight may have helped achieve that. As for prep just clean the surface and make sure it's dry, no sanding necessary :aok:

I bought 3 spray cans from my local Piston Ring shop...I was able to do all for wheel, front/rear bumpers and grill and had half a can left to do most of my DIY roof rack.

Its good stuff and has handled trail abuse well. any scratches I just smoothed the edges out with acetone and re-sprayed.

Its probably Toxic as hell, but its cheep and easy to use.

It does pick up dust quickly and always looks kinda dull unless you wash it often.

Its fun stuff...if you want to do your entire car cleanly there is a bit of an art to it.

You want to start with the roof and then move to the sides and any other vertical surfaces. Leave the hood for the last. The reason is to avoid getting over spray on the hood.

If you want to make it look pro...keep the hood slightly popped open to really get into the corners when you spray. You will want to cover the engine bay with plastic to protect it...I've used cardboard behind the grill to keep the engine clean.

What would happen if you ran through a car wash?

If its properly cured in the sun and its not a problem. Wait at least a month after applying before running it through a car wash or doing a power wash on it.

Small stuff, wheels, mirrors, grills, etc. do it! However I would not recommend spraying your entire truck. I dipped my truck and although it looked awesome. It was a pain in the ass to clean, especially bugs. Then I got clay mud on it from a camping trip and the adhesion of the mud to the dip separated the dip from the paint with the force of the pressure washer. I could have fixed this, it's actually quite easy stuff to repair, i decided to peel it. Anywhere I didn't get a thick coat ie. under rockers, under bumpers, between gaps, it does not peel off. It also stained some of my pain as well as etched and stained my headlights, and any decals. It also stained the rubber between the flares and the fenders. $400 to replace them, WTF!

Anyways, if you really want to do the whole vehicle, some advice. Clean your nozzle between each coat, make sure to get heavy coverage EVERYWHERE, and cover your headlights.

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p657/pattersin/null_zps244b8608.jpg

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p657/pattersin/null_zps9dcf0c02.jpg

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p657/pattersin/null_zpsa512ce6a.jpg

• Like 1