Clunk in the Steering

pattersin

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on a clunk in my front end. There was some slop and a clunk in the steering, so I took it to a shop and they told me my wheel bearings needed to be tightened. Turns out they we're pretty dirty so they cleaned them up and repacked them. $500 later, I still have a clunk. I should mention that the steering does feel much tighter now.

Anyways, I took a video to show the noise when I shake the wheels. I get the same noise on the passenger side as well. When driving, I only seem to notice it on the driver side.

http://youtu.be/ec5-Tne6udg

Quick easy thing to check is your rack and pinion bushing. Mine were shot and would produce something close to that.

That's what I was thinking. Most commonly is the driver side insulator as it is the one that gets oil poured all over it each time the oil gets changed.

his is a vq so i dont think oil would not get on his bushings when he changes it so i would maybe try the tie rods inside and out but thats just from the video get under there and shake the S*** outta them and see if u have any play

I crawled under the truck last night and the only thing I could get to make noise is the cv shafts. There is a bit of play when I twist them and when I shake them (in/out). This makes a bit of noise. When I drive the truck the steering is tight and there's no clunk in the steering only over bumps. Could this be my problem?

sounds like u maybe having the same problem i had look under the truck and look at the control arm check the bushing more specifically the one in the back if u take a picture i can confirm with how mine looked and cause mine clunked over every bump till i changed it.

Let me throw another idea out there ..

Can you replicate the "clunk" by placing your weight on the fender to mimic the "up and down" travel? If so, have a buddy bounce the front end and see if you can locate the sound while laying on the ground.

Bouncing on the fender found the problem. The stabilizer bar bushings are shot. I also noticed that the link on the driver side can be swivelled, I'm not sure but I'm thinking that's a sign it should be replaced.

Here is a picture of the control arm bushing. Both sides look the same, not so hot but I don't think they are a problem quite yet.

null_zps0cd7ddc2.jpg