VG30i vs VG30e crank differences.

Trev084

Upon searching and searching I have found that the vg30i crank snout is meant to be longer than any other vg30 crank, I was doing some more searching again last night and someone stated that the vg30e crank has a bigger OD snout and then the next website said that only the FWD (maxima etc) have the larger crank snouts and that truck cranks are all the same.

My drama is my engine (vg30i) has bent rods and it is easy to get vg30 long motors over here so I am looking at getting one and putting all the 'I' stuff on it.

The one I am looking at is out of a z31 and already has a crank pulley on it.

So my question is, does anyone have a simple yet correct answer on what the crank difference is, if any?

Early VG30i cranks used only one key way to locate the timing gear and the harmonic dampener, the one key is shared between the gear and dampener, I had this style in my 87 Hardbody, later models had two key ways and two keys, one for the timing gear one for the harmonic dampener.

Per info on Nissan Nut's page that can be found here: http://nissannut.com/maintenance/vg33e_upgrade/compare/index.html

2 different cranks were used on the VG30, the difference is with the snout, one is 25mm one is 32mm.

• Like 1

I had an '84 Z31 engine in my '88 Pathfinder, same small snout crank. Now I have the '84 Z31 crank and pistons in an '88 Pathfinder block.

Now, if you go with a pre- '86 Z31 engine you will need to modify the motor mounts to match the mounting bosses as they are different. The 4/'87+ W-series engine is the large snout crank.

Easiest way to tell is if the crank bolt is 22 or 27mm.

Edited by Kingman

Asked the bloke what year 31 it can out of and he just said that it suits 84-89 300s and 92-04 navaras.

Still waiting on a reply for the crank bolt size