New Pathfinder in Vancouver BC

Hi there,

New pathfinder owner in Vancouver BC. Just pulled the trigger on a 95 SE, great shape, almost zero rust (only on the exterior components like bumper/tire rack/etc). Checked out super clean in the inspection at the Nissan dealer (for a 240km vehicle anyway), super stoked! Picture is lifted in photoshop, gonna happen as soon as I sell my hatchback :)

Quick question for anyone who's good at deciphering mechanic's acronyms/shorthand: The Nissan mech listed "Adjust ST/BOX LASH" on the list of todo's. I was either not listening when he covered that part, or he skipped it by mistake (pretty sure the former, was too giddy when he said it was a "really nice truck")... I'm thinking steering box lash? If so, any tips? If not, any ideas what the hell he's talking about?

Either way, cheers!

54iNYbt.jpg

Welcome fellow vancouverian!

It looks like a nice clean truck, I'm impressed! Although I'm not sure what the 'st/box lash' but this site is so helpful I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you out and or point you in the right direction!

• Like 1

Welcome to NPORA and thanks for the intro. Congrats on your new pathy, that is a very nice color! Don't worry about the 240k km, you should get double that useful life with a little luck and the basic PM.

The Nissan mech listed "Adjust ST/BOX LASH" on the list of todo's.

Yes, that is adjust the steering box back lash. If you look at the top of it, you will see a long set screw with a screw driver slot in the end, secured in place with a (17mm?) nut. This adjusts the backlash to some degree, but you have to be pretty careful, a fraction of a turn is usually all that is needed or acceptable unless it starts to crush (the worm gear IIRC) inside which will accelerate wear quickly. If you are not familiar with this system, I would recommend letting the mechanic make the adjustment and assume the liability for it.

I recommend you go to the Garage section and look in the pinned Factory Service Manual thread to download your own free PDF copy.

This will supply you with almost all the information you could possibly need, and allow you to read up on things like steering box adjustments... ;)

There are several items that are recommended to be replaced/installed such as tension rod bushings, transmission coolers/filters (if it is an auto), etc. Feel free to ask questions, but most things have been well covered so poke around and familiarize yourself with the search function also.

B

• Like 1

Thanks all, like I said, great to be here (officially anyway). Interesting point, in regards to Precise1's point about letting a mechanic take care of the Steering Box Lash... I called up the nearest Nissan dealer's service department to get a quote on the list of todos (had such a good experience with the one who did my inspection, figured I'd stick with them and see if they were competitively priced), mechanic had NO IDEA what I was talking about in regards to the Steering Box Lash. Said it either works or it doesn't work. Red flag! Bit of googling made it clear it's something that can be adjusted... time to look elsewhere me thinks :)