4x4Parts Rear Skidplate Mounting?

Karmann

So I've had the 4x4parts rear skidplate sitting around the garage for a while, and I'm wondering, how the f*** does it mount? I have the front and center skid mounted, plus all the hardware that came with it.

Here's the skid, any help is much appreciated

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-rear-skid-plate-p-3454.html

Edited by Karmann

Have you not tried just putting her up there? I feel like it should only work one way. But puzzles were never my strongest board "game" haha

-Kyle

I've tried lining it up, but the supplied bracket doesn't really line up with anything, even though supposedly it hooks up with the gas tank skid.

i know this is dumb but i gotta ask first do u already have the middle mounted cause i remember a nother member had them and it looked like it bolted purely to the middle one

Yes, I do have the mid mounted skid, and it does line up, but it need something to support the rear end of the skid, so it doesn't flop down.

The plate

IMG_1749G_zps4e6a79f1.jpg

Bracket + Hardware

IMG_1755G_zpsf3aa576b.jpg

Under- the 90* bend lines up with the center skidplate...

IMG_1730G_zps3c9c42ab.jpg

But the bracket doesn't. In this position I would need to drill another hole in the skidplate, and potentially modify the gas tank skid mount.

IMG_1742G_zps547109fe.jpg

This is the view directly from the rear center hole.

IMG_1743G_zps8ae94862.jpg

I see what you mean now. Doesnt look like much lines up at all. I'd give them a call tomorrow and see what info you can get from them.

Well that's the best part, I've called them before only to hear "bolt it up to the gas tank skid" by an ill spoken technician. I really don't want to have to do custom work on supposedly bolt on parts that I paid $550 for when all said and done.

jesus christ they are not doing well right now are they

Not just now, but before. I bought them back in December and have been too lazy/unmotivated to put this final one on. If only it just bolted on.

Actually it says it "FITS FLUSH" with the gas skid, nothing about attaching to it. It looks like there's only 1 bolt hole in the skid so I'm guessing the 2 bolt holes in the bracket end fits to the body, anything with 2 bolts in that area?

Actually it says it "FITS FLUSH" with the gas skid, nothing about attaching to it. It looks like there's only 1 bolt hole in the skid so I'm guessing the 2 bolt holes in the bracket end fits to the body, anything with 2 bolts in that area?

Precisely, but there's nothing with two bolts under there so far as I can tell. It's a quandary.

• Like 1

OK, just spent the last 15 minutes looking at your pics. I'm not even sure what to say. What a PITA though.

I'm just trying to get a clear picture of what was intended with the bolt hole locations in the bracket and the plate itself.

So, is it possible to attach the bracket to the skid (hand tight, but still able to reorient it's position), place the skid in to mounting position (as if you were going to bolt to the center skid, and then rotate the bracket to see what it might line up with? My thought is that you might get a better idea of what they may have intended.

My last thought...is it possible to mount the bracket on the top side of where the gas tank bracket? It doesn't seem logical to me from a "strength" perspective, but wondered if that made things "line up". I thought of this when looking at how long the 3rd bolt is - that's a doozy from your first photo which made me think it might have to reach through something(s).

Man, IDK, that's pretty jacked if they sent you something that won't bolt on and needs customization. That might just light me off.

Edited by Rick13
  • Like 1

Taking a cue from theexbrit, I think you have to position the bracket with the single bolt hole for the plate, and use the double bolt holes for the two bolts in the left corner (as in your pic). It'll require removing/replacing the existing, but that would seem to fit and be in line with the holes in the bracket. I tried to edit your pic to show what I'm thinking. (Maybe??)

pathybase.png

• Like 2

Taking a cue from theexbrit, I think you have to position the bracket with the single bolt hole for the plate, and use the double bolt holes for the two bolts in the left corner (as in your pic). It'll require removing/replacing the existing, but that would seem to fit and be in line with the holes in the bracket. I tried to edit your pic to show what I'm thinking. (Maybe??)

pathybase.png

Brilliant! I'm going to see if this will work.

And to 96Pathfinder4x4, this is the 3/16" steel set from 4x4 parts.

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1

You know what aggravating? I was there today and completely forgot to ask about this.

BTW, small shop.

Shoot, well I hope you kicked their @$$ for the rest of us... :laugh:

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1