R50 Tire Question 17'' mags

Erik812

Hi guys, I've been reading a lot of different pages about max tire size, but cant seem to find anything about the special edition 17'' models.
I'm a big fan of wheel spacers, had em on pretty much all my trucks. but this time I don't want to touche the suspension.(no Lift)
So up to now I saw that without wheel spacers it is possible to put in 245/70/17 without any trimming. (witch I would love to not trim) lol...

Does anyone know what tire size I can put onto my 17'' mags with 1.5 or 2'' spacers. without doing any trimming.

If all fails Im just going to go with 245/70/17. without spacers.... seems pretty nice as well.But I just think it would be nicer wider! BIG FAN OF WIDETIRES!!!

Help would be greatly appreciated. take care guys!!!

Well, the reason all of the guys running bigger tires either switch out their rims or go spacers, is because the bigger tire, usually a 31 and up (there are exceptions to that rule) rub on the spring perch on the strut assembly. So you need to move the tire away from the spring perch in order to make the car work with the new tires.

As a result of moving the wheels out, it's new turning radius of the tire itself now has a larger arc at which the tire can rotate when you turn the steering wheel. So it starts to rub on the inner fender and flaps.

So in your case with not wanting to cut anything (can't blame you) it's gonna be a fun game of math, figuring out the exact width of your tires tread edge to tread edge, and how much wider that is than current tire are on their now (which I feel safe in assuming clear, lol)

I'm going to go home and try and take some picture maybe even a video of what my brain is thinking will work.

-Kyle

• Like 1

Ha great thanks alot!!! Great explanation as well!!!

If I have to trim a little I dont mind either, I just dont want it to show lol... I like to keep that original look going, but with just a little bit more Bad Ass tires.

Your truck seems pretty nice!!! how did you make it work?

-Erik-

I have the 17" special edition wheels with stock 245/65/17 tires, when I put on 1.5" wheel spacers they rubbed on the fender liners on sharp turns, just like Ferrari owner described. I've installed a ome lift which alleviated the problem, but I just picked up a set of 265/70/17. So I'm sure I'll be trimming soon. I really don't think you can go bigger than stock tires with wheel spacers and no lift.

Ha great thanks alot!!! Great explanation as well!!!

If I have to trim a little I dont mind either, I just dont want it to show lol... I like to keep that original look going, but with just a little bit more Bad Ass tires.

Your truck seems pretty nice!!! how did you make it work?

-Erik-

Yeah, no worries.

I cant say for sure about trimming, But heres hoping.

Here are the pictures i was talking about.

My setup is Currently a 31X10.5X15 Tire with a Procomp "Xteme" something other, 15X8 with a 3.75" Backspacing. My factory wheels that i had, were something like a 6" backspacing. Backspacing (in case you don't know) is the measurement from the inside edge of the wheel to where the hub mounts on the wheel. So in my case i push my sucked in stance out 2.25 inches over stock. And here are the effects.

L3U2Ogyl.jpg

This is actually the first time looking at my wheel spacing, from this angle, and i probably could have got away with less. But i love my nice wide stance. and 3.75 is what everyone recommends for backspacing anyway.

Anyway, in your case, this is where you need to do a little math and see just how wide your new tire are, exactly, not what the tire size says, because a lot times a 31 will measure at 31.4 some times, so just do a little detective work to get your exact number, next see how much wider that is over the tire your currently running.

That will help you to determine how much farther out the wheel will have to be and help you to determine just how much larger that specific wheel's turning arc will be.

So in my case, with making the wheels and tires wider than stock, as well as mounted father out, my stance, width wise, is now 6.5" wider than stock, or at-least what i had on my car before.

Here is how my setup works.

NDCSc7pl.jpg

And here is how much trimming i had to do

8082049771_3cb3afc0f9_c.jpg

And thanks for the compliments, i made it work, by doing exactly what you are doing, asking the forum and checking out the wheel and tire fitment thread, lots of helpful info.

There are quite a few people on here that have the platinum edition wheels and run big tires.

Hope this helps

-Kyle

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my tires also ripped my mud flaps off. Due to my wider stance.

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

Wow great thanks a lot!!! a part from the mud flaps, what you needed to cut off in the front , its already gone on my truck, so thats cool!!! I think that with 255/70/17 I should be good... with that minimal trimming witch is in theory already done lol...... I might not even need spacers I think...

What do you think? on the link you can see pretty much the look im going for.

sorry cant edit my post :( and I was trying to put in pics of what I actualy have right now... I dont know how to post pics :( newbi... but by the looks of it ... either 255/70/17 or 265/70/17 should fit...

Aright yeah for sure!!! as soon as I get the tires on... 265/65/17 if I can... lol one way or another Im gonna get pictures on for you guys for sure!!!!

Thanks for the info on how to get pictures on the site. and also thanks for the info on other threads... Im gonna go check it out right away!!!!

Edited by Erik812

AHHH after some intensive research and measuring.... I came down to realize that the max Ill be able to fit is 245/70/17..... thats ok lol,... Im sure its gonna be pretty nice with

General Tire Grabber A/T2 that I want to buy!!!

Im still going to take pictures once its done!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning on waiting until fall to replace my tires but after having 2 slow leaks I figured now was the time. I went with the 265/65/r17 and they fit pretty good. There isn't much space between the tire and the struts and at full lock the tire just barely rubs on the plastic in the front. 10 minutes and a heat gun will solve that. I have a set of 1/2" wheel spacers I'd like to throw on but it looks like I'll have some hunting to do to find wheel lugs that will fit properly. The truck goes in next week for wheel bearings and an alignment but even without there's a big different over the burnt out tires that came on this truck.

null_zps6ad9071c.jpg

null_zps2f37bcab.jpg

Clearance:

null_zpsc11be3ba.jpg

null_zpsf2aa94a7.jpg

null_zpsf23037d6.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Truck!!! great look with those tires!!! and thanks for posting those pictures, that gives me a pretty good idea of the spacing,

in a few weeks Im going to put on 245/70/17 General Tire Grabber A/T2 going to post some pictures for sure!!! hope its going to give that larger look Im looking for :)

By the way... Great job on keeping your truck mint... it looks brand new!! :)

nice!!! yeah I love my pathfinder too... on 12 vehicles, the only one I loved as much, was my 97 grand cherokee, lol it was a monster, swaped in a 5.9 RT from dodge into it with selec-trak t-case, duel exhaust with flowmaster, lifted 4.5'' and 33x12.5 tires... lol.. was too strong tho.. lol... as soon as the kickdown kicked in the front end would lift off the road and it would change lanes... lol... anyways ... was a bad ass ride.. lol.. had to get rid of it..

But ya times change, the pathfinder is great the way it is, and its gonna be even better with a little bit bigger tires :)

second Nissan I ever owed and honestly, despite my love for dodge, I think Im gonna stick with Nissan... there just the best!!!!!

Plus they look good stock. so thats a bonus :)

Edited by Erik812

Like ferrariowner mentioned....it's all about the backspacing. Minimum, even without a lift, IIRC is 3.75". If you're buying new, just make sure you're at least 4" and your good to go! :)

Oh...and there's a loooooooong thread in the stickies for your reading pleasure.

P.S. don't forget...we like pics.

Edited by 96Pathfinder4x4
  • Like 1

Like ferrariowner mentioned....it's all about the backspacing. Minimum, even without a lift, IIRC is 3.75". If you're buying new, just make sure you're at least 4" and your good to go! :)

Oh...and there's a loooooooong thread in the stickies for your reading pleasure.

P.S. don't forget...we like pics.

Cool cool .. yeah Im going to go do some more reading :) ... and for sure Im gonna bring in some pictures as soon as I buy em in a few weeks :) promiss :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, the reason all of the guys running bigger tires either switch out their rims or go spacers, is because the bigger tire, usually a 31 and up (there are exceptions to that rule) rub on the spring perch on the strut assembly. So you need to move the tire away from the spring perch in order to make the car work with the new tires.

As a result of moving the wheels out, it's new turning radius of the tire itself now has a larger arc at which the tire can rotate when you turn the steering wheel. So it starts to rub on the inner fender and flaps.

So in your case with not wanting to cut anything (can't blame you) it's gonna be a fun game of math, figuring out the exact width of your tires tread edge to tread edge, and how much wider that is than current tire are on their now (which I feel safe in assuming clear, lol)

I'm going to go home and try and take some picture maybe even a video of what my brain is thinking will work.

-Kyle

hey kyle i have the same truck do u think 32" will fit