Carburetor on a VG30

JamesRich

Why don't you base your design off the vg30i plenum rather than the vg30e lower plenum like mr.510s one for sale? You will get much better flow that way and it will be much less work/more practical.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pretty cool. Is there any performance benefit above and beyond a perfectly good working OEM distributor? Aside from timing the ignition further. I ask this because I have the MPFI with ECCS. It pulls the timing back if you try to advance it manually. At least that's been my experience.

This distributor will only work if you are putting a carburetor. It won't work with the fuel injection. Remember this is considered for off road only, it won't make it passed any visual emissions check if you have that in your state. Also won't be good for rock crawling. We don't have any big rocks down here in Louisiana just mud!

I've been driving this around for a good while now, around 2000 miles, so I'll give y'all my take on it. So far it's still running great! The Holley carb floods a little when it sits hot for about an hour and I have to spin it a couple of seconds to start it and then I get a fuel smell.

Sitting over night or 10 or 15 minutes I just bump the key and its running.

I never put a choke on it, I just pinned the manual choke open. When winter gets here I'll see if I need one and might just add a cable for the manual setup.

When I start it in the morning with no choke it fires right up and will idle on its own around 200 rpms. I swear you cant even tell it's running. I do rev it up a little for a few seconds to get the oil flowing though. I let it idle for a couple of minutes then hit the road. I have to go easy on the clutch for the first take off because it wants to stall but after that it runs normal.

I could avoid the stalling if I put a choke on it but I've found I really don't need one yet. So far I'm happy with the conversion!

I would have a lot more miles on it but it's been hot as hell down here and my A/C doesn't work too well. I need to change the header panel before I fix the A/C so I put the project off for a while and I've just been rolling the Titan. It's cooling off now so I will put off the repair again till next year!

James

• Like 1

Yes it does. It has a slight vibration but I can hardly tell it's running. It sounds really strange too. My little motor is still in very good shape, only has 120K. It has 180 PSI of compression per cylinder and It holds 21 in of vacuum at an idle when it warm, no vacuum leaks.

James

I'll try to get one when I get a chance. It might not be 200 rpms, I'm looking at the factory tac, but its pretty low. I'll hook up my timing light to get a true rpm reading and fire it up cold and see what I get.

James

• 3 months later...

Nice work. I considered doing that many times but in the end I went to MPFI.
No, not EMP proof but a lead box around the ECU would solve that as long as it wasn't running when the EMP hit.

• 9 months later...

hey guys. I have been wanting to do this for awhile now and .I just found a intake manifold for this project..super stoked to hear that a chevy hei distributor works for this project..can you give me a part number or something i can tell the y guy at the parts counter..lol

• 1 month later...

hello jamesrich,

I just installed a perf dist with the 2 bbl carb on a vg30., Mr 510 manifold.

Im using a fuel cell with seperate lines, elec fuel pump and regulator, nothing being used from original vehicle.

My question is on the firing order. The originasl FI cap goes 123456. I cannot find anywhere what the actual fuel delivery firing order was or is. How did you get yours to work and what did you use for firing order"? What am I missing?

Thanks so much, and I cant say enough good things for the folks at Performance Distributiors.

Well, I'm not him and since he's not around anymore I'd like to shed some light.

The firing order is and always will be 123456 for our VG engine for balance. Fuel was delivered in batch fire meaning for TBI engines one injector fires per bank every ignition cycle.

Being a carburetor now, this doesn't matter anymore.

Hello Kingman,

Thank you so much for the reply.

So, since I am no longer utilizing a ECM or any computer, just the one wire distributor with the coil in the cap, the firing order would be 123456? I tried that first, with no success. I thought possibly that the ecm firing order might help, since the ecm operates like you state above.

Any ideas?

Hope james rich is OK, just not on the forum.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry I haven't been around, life has been busy! for future reference, Yes 123456 is the firing order starting with #1 on the passenger head and alternating back and forth going back. You will need to tune the carb too, in factory set up it's way too rich. It's been 5 yearn now and it's still running good. Starts with just a bump of the key and always runs good!

Also yes I made the spacer plate myself. I'd seen this style plate for 4 barrels but not for 2 barrels so I made my own, mostly to hold the throttle cable.

James

• Like 2

• 4 years later...