Quick Question

FishHunter

My new to me Pathfinder 2003 is turning 100k. The recommended maintence is change the timing belt and water pump. Checked with my mechanic of 25 years and learned I have a timing chain. He said he would not replace it at this point. I asked about the water pump and his statement was if not broken do not fix it.

The belts and fluids are all being changed. As well as rear shocks and new exhaust.

Any other things I should do and or look for?

Yep, the VQ35 has a timing chain. I hear the guides wear out on them but it shouldn't be for a while yet, and apparently you can hear it a bit as the chain loosens up. I agree with the water pump assessment as well, if it aint broke, don't fix it. It could well go another 50k miles... :shrug:

When you say fluids, are you including the brake, transmission (assuming auto), transfer case and both differential fluids? These are often overlooked.

Only other thing I can think of is that there a re some power valve screws that can work loose and get sucked into the intake. It isn't common, but a problem if it happens. The solution is just some blue loctite, but it takes some work to get to the. You'll have to search/read up on it for more info, I've not owned/worked on a VQ35.

B

Oh, what about an aux tranny cooler?

Indeed, power valves working themselves loose and getting sucked into the intake is an issue. It's rare, but it happens. The best thing to do is to apply red (permanent) Loctite; blue is fine too, but the screws should never need to be removed again for any reason.

I agree on having the transmission, differential(s), power steering, coolant, brake fluid serviced.

An auxiliary transmission cooler and an in-line transmission filter are also a great addition even if you do not tow or offroad. A B&M 70264 cooler is 24,000 GVW and will fit easily. You can see how I mounted my transmission cooler (a thinner 70268, but otherwise identical cooler), routed the hoses and the Magnefine in-line filter I used here: https://imgur.com/a/giVyz

Indeed, power valves working themselves loose and getting sucked into the intake is an issue. It's rare, but it happens. The best thing to do is to apply red (permanent) Loctite; blue is fine too, but the screws should never need to be removed again for any reason.

Good point. I just default to blue, just in case...

B