88 pathfinder broken timing belt

ezlife

So I got a deal on a cherry pathfinder. I decided to bounce it through the woods a few times and now have a broken timing belt. After replacing the belt I think I bent a few valves. Even though it was only 10 mph at the time? For now I am going to repair what is needed but in the future I would really like to do the diesel turbo swap. From what I have read so far the manual trans will work. I found a couple of engines for around 2000 complete with wiring and computer. I have tried to find someone who has done this swap but all I find are questions about the swap. Is this something I should even consider? Just curious for future reference.

Well today I pulled the heads off. I'm thinking it may have been easier to yank the motor and do the work outside the truck, lol. Looks like 1 bent intake valve. Not to bad.l Hopefully the guide survived. What I'm thinking now is someone on here must have a write up on removing the emissions? Also what's the work time to pull the manual trans from the engine? If it's to much I am thinking it would be easy to yank the block right now, inspect the clutch and change the rear main seal. I have a small hydraulic leak so if I pull the engine I will have access to the slave cylinder right? Just trying to do what I can why I'm here. pathfinderengineapart.jpg?t=1374018198

You got the engine down to the block, pulling it now isn't too bad. I would highly advise you drop the diff though as the oil pan hits it. Emissions is easy. Remove the EGR valve, tube, and activator, its vacuum lines, the air injection valve which is right behind the drivers headlight, the metal tube going from that to the exhaust manifold and to the cat, and finally cut the cat off then send it to WWW.sellyourcatsdirect.com and get $115 for it. Clears up a ton of room in the engine bay.

What turbo diesel are you going for? I plan on doing a 4bt swap in my 87 hardbody (since the pathy is parts now :( ) I know an excellent thread/site for doing 4bt swaps, started talking to a guy who had done it to his 87 hardbody too (great for me! and that thread is very detailed) but the pathfinders aren't too different from the pickups so I'm sure it will help you out tons!!

Here is the forum: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

And the thread: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?21670-1987-Nissan-Hardbody-4bt-swap&highlight=Nissan+hardbody

Thanks everyone. Kingman I'm guessing the pan hits because of the angle needed to line up on the trans? Also It's not necessary to eliminate the cat is it? I did some reading and I noticed someone saying that eliminating could cause a code, even possibly put the truck into limp mode? CBDLOC I have not zeroed in on any engines yet. I would usually do this now, but this is the one time I got caught low on funds and I just sold my other truck. Thanks for the link. This is where I will begin the research.

You said you wanted to deemissionatize it... and no it will not cause any light to come on nor make the ECU enter limp mode. These are OBDI trucks with one O2 sensor, not OBDII with 2-4 pre and post cats. '96+ is when all that hokus pokus started.

The oil pan sits about 3/4" away from the diff axle tube, the engine needs to move forward quite a ways and angle up steeply. Now, that being said if you could get the pan down far enough from the block to unbolt the pickup tube from the oil pump and main girdle you could probably get away with that. Some have said they didn't need to touch the diff but I haven't been able to get it to work. Easy enough to unbolt it, let it swing down and out, then pull the engine. When you out it back in the diff and engine need to go in at the same time so they "mesh" together. Hopefully UNCCfinder knows the way to not touch the diff or oil pan.

Edited by Kingman

No problem!! It took me a lot of time to find someone who has done it in a nissan, but he actually found me! I started a thread asking questions on my 95 path, starting the research stage and he started giving me pointers and reality checks lol

But now pathy is off the road (hit and run while it was parked) found the pickup and jumped on it. I haven't done too much research on any other diesel motors but you can't beat cummins power! Sorry guys Imma nissan guy first then dodge diesel power!

My budget is going to be close to 10 - 12 grand, but that includes front 44 Dana (or equvilant) Dana 60 rear 6-8 inch lift, small body, flat deck, donar truck (with 4bt, most likely delivery van) turbo, etc etc, huge list!! Basically new truck minus cab and frame lol it's not a cheap swap!

Warning about the nissan trans and tcase, even though nissans are built tough, with a turbo your almost doubling the torque, consider upgrading! Plus you'll need a new bell housing and such, I'm sure you know this. Good luck!

30As are proven to handle upwards of 500ft/lbs of torque. Also for the record, the stock rear end is both stronger and larger than a Ford 9" and D44.

King man thanks for the knowledge. Sounds like I wouldn't be saving much time by doing it now. I will finish this project and plan on pulling the trans out later. CVDLOC now that I have done a little looking I realize what I wanted to do is probably a huge project. I was thinking the 2.7 nissan diesel. I didn't realize these motors were in much newer pathfinders. When I seen them on ebay for 2000 with ecu I thought it was a great idea. I had read that it would even bolt to the same trans. Probably not in something as old as mine though. I'll keep checking into it. From what I have seen the smart choice seems to really be just build the engine one time everything fresh or maybe do a fresh 3.3 swap if I found the right deal. I just have a hard time sticking with 18mpg and no real horsepower, lol. This is my first 4x4 build though. All my others toys were track toys or lookers. This truck is just to much fun though. There is a little trail riding place, some sand pits and some big mud puddles not to far from me. So it's become my weekend get away. If I had been smart enough to change the timing belt when I got it, like my mechanic friend of 30 years suggested instead of reading the sticker under the hood that said it was done not that long ago, I wouldn't be in this boat.

Holy bananas!! 500! Never would have guessed, and I know the rear diff is tough but I don't know, I'm having trust issues lol, although I do have my pathfinder, I could steal the rear diff... But I'd have to convert it to leafs which shouldn't be hard, cheap too cause its free! And then I could always build my d60 for a swap later on or when it breaks. Food for thought..

But still, 500! I'm having a hard time believing you, but I trust you kingman

They make nissan diesels? Hmm research time... And that not a bad price, cummins is cummins and it cummins with a price ;) (clever eh?) I'm still saving up and researching, still open to changes

I didn't want to post the link because I wasn't sure it was allowed. If your search nissan diesel on ebay and set from high price first you will see a few options. I thought this swap was more common because the engines are described as Pathfinder, Nevara, Terrano. Looking now I didn't see any of these that came with a diesel option in or out of the US.

/>

Holy bananas!! 500! Never would have guessed, and I know the rear diff is tough but I don't know, I'm having trust issues lol, although I do have my pathfinder, I could steal the rear diff... But I'd have to convert it to leafs which shouldn't be hard, cheap too cause its free! And then I could always build my d60 for a swap later on or when it breaks. Food for thought..

But still, 500! I'm having a hard time believing you, but I trust you kingman

Well, hop on over to z31performance where many are running 4-500+HP cars on the stock 30a trans. I had a 71c, weaker in every way than a 30A, in my 400ish HP Z31 and it took it like a champ. Not uncommon. Then you get into the Z32 30As which are the big Mac daddies.

No worries, the strength of Nissan drive trains blows most peoples' minds. :lol:

/>/>

King man thanks for the knowledge. Sounds like I wouldn't be saving much time by doing it now. I will finish this project and plan on pulling the trans out later. CVDLOC now that I have done a little looking I realize what I wanted to do is probably a huge project. I was thinking the 2.7 nissan diesel. I didn't realize these motors were in much newer pathfinders. When I seen them on ebay for 2000 with ecu I thought it was a great idea. I had read that it would even bolt to the same trans. Probably not in something as old as mine though. I'll keep checking into it. From what I have seen the smart choice seems to really be just build the engine one time everything fresh or maybe do a fresh 3.3 swap if I found the right deal. I just have a hard time sticking with 18mpg and no real horsepower, lol. This is my first 4x4 build though. All my others toys were track toys or lookers. This truck is just to much fun though. There is a little trail riding place, some sand pits and some big mud puddles not to far from me. So it's become my weekend get away. If I had been smart enough to change the timing belt when I got it, like my mechanic friend of 30 years suggested instead of reading the sticker under the hood that said it was done not that long ago, I wouldn't be in this boat.

Hey man that's alright, bet it won't happen next time! Personally I haven't looked in to the diesels much but I will say this, if its said that they bolt in to the V6 trans its likely correct. Reason being, Nissan used the same V6 bell housing from 1984 up until 2004 (at least in North America) when they came out with the VQ40 to replace the VG33 in the Frontiers and Xterra.I think some other countries might even still have the VG33? Edited by Kingman

/>

I didn't want to post the link because I wasn't sure it was allowed. If your search nissan diesel on ebay and set from high price first you will see a few options. I thought this swap was more common because the engines are described as Pathfinder, Nevara, Terrano. Looking now I didn't see any of these that came with a diesel option in or out of the US.

It's probably an assuie thing, or special order? I have seen a Toyota hi lux something like that, looked cool, right hand drive Diesel engine, but your ready for it... Aluminum heads!!! Garbage!! But like you said it's a newer engine, seems like a lot of companies are doing diesel options now, f&@kin f150 has an Eco diesel. I'm sceptical on newer engines (matter of fact newer trucks) everything is electronicized and its becoming harder to work on or false info!!! Aka electronic short (maybe I'm just not learning with the new age) I trust mechanical, good ol hard wire lol

Damn, pathfinder, bulletproof motor (up to speculation), surprisingly and rediculous stong tranny, tcase is the size of your torso, nissan rear tougher than a d44. Damn that's a solid truck!! Now time to do something with that IFS... Unless you have some facts for us kingman lol

Now I see. The Terrano II came with a diesel option. The Mistral had 2.4 petrol and 2.7 turbodiesels at its launch in 1993; from 1996 the petrol engine became injected and the diesel intercooled, with 2.4i and 2.7 TDi replacing the previous models. From 1999 until 2006 a 3.0 TDi DOHC, direct injected, turbodiesel intercooled engine was produced, using a version of the Nissan ZD engine, the ZD30DDTi, that also mounts the bigger and heavier Nissan Patrol. In the Mistral/Terrano, the 3.0 TDi engine provides much more power and fuel efficiency than the 2.7 TD engines.

/>/>

It's probably an assuie thing, or special order? I have seen a Toyota hi lux something like that, looked cool, right hand drive Diesel engine, but your ready for it... Aluminum heads!!! Garbage!! But like you said it's a newer engine, seems like a lot of companies are doing diesel options now, f&@kin f150 has an Eco diesel. I'm sceptical on newer engines (matter of fact newer trucks) everything is electronicized and its becoming harder to work on or false info!!! Aka electronic short (maybe I'm just not learning with the new age) I trust mechanical, good ol hard wire lol

Damn, pathfinder, bulletproof motor (up to speculation), surprisingly and rediculous stong tranny, tcase is the size of your torso, nissan rear tougher than a d44. Damn that's a solid truck!! Now time to do something

with that IFS... Unless you have some facts for us kingman lol

R200, still strong as hell. Same diff that's in the rear of a Z31 for the most part, the '4/87-'89 LSDs from those cars swap into the front of ours. They're good for almost 700. :lol: But, the weak link is the CV axles which we can't do anything about yet. :( Edited by Kingman

The sad truth of ifs :( I just want to cut it out and throw thermite on it!! Lol same with auto hubs!! Buuurrrrn!!!! Can you tell I have had issues with these lol

Thanks for the info there ezlife!! I'm going to have to get on the computer and check those out

Well today was almost no progress. Got the valve fixed and half the gaskets needed. The wrong hoses came and I didn't even make it to find the plugs for the emissions exhaust piping. Gasket areas cleaned. I still need to fix some exhaust manifold studs. smh. All this and I can't get it of my mind what a pain in the ass it is to get this motor out. On the plus side I did get some tools cleaned and arranged. Tomorrow I need to catch up and check some valves on an r6. Looks like it's going to be a work weekend.