Rust problem, can't remove my hub, help!

maikan

I tackle my front rotors today and after a problem free driver's wheel I came across a rust problem.

After removing the little clip at the end of the axle (i had to hammer it to get it free from the axle, it was seized in.) and undoing the studs, i couldn't remove the hub.

d99dd64e-350e-4707-b3d3-b3efe46c6b49_zps

I tried hammering it to get it to back up in the hub but it didn't bulge.

For now I let it sleep all night in WD40

Anyone got a neat trick to remove my hub from the axle.

Oh and if I want to change the studs by regular bolts, what would be the size of them bolts

Use a penetrant, WD-40 is basically useless for this. Hit it a few times with a hammer. Hit it a few more times. Go get a bigger hammer. Rinse, repeat...

Try hitting it from one side to another (180 degrees opposed).

Damn, that is some serious rust! :blink:

Them thar bolts be M8x1.25

B

So I learned the hard way to never beat the crap out the end of the axle. Now its al mushromed up and will never pas in the hub.

I will grind it out tomorrow to make it smaller then the hub. Hpefully I will be able to save the axle but I think the c-clip wont fit in the groove correctly to secure it all.

Damn never ever hit hard on the axle to free the hub, stupid mistake on my part

Will invest on a bearing puller, sound advice

thanks

I file it get rid of the mushroom at the end, then I got a gear extractor I push it out.

Should brought that tool in the first place, best 40 $ of my week, and took about 15 minutes.

But my hub is done, so looks like i will put manual hub sooner than expected.

Anybody knows if we can find mile marker hub in canada?

Abd what about rugged ridge, anybody use them?

Is it safe to move the car for a short distance without the hubs bolted in?

I must move the truck but my mile marker hubs won't be here until next week and my stock one don't fit anymore

Yes, it is safe to move for a short distance. The axle splines won't have anything to grip so it won't turn the front differential; no harm no foul. IIRC the front diff needs to spin for lubrication on those years (you don't have a shifter, just a selector knob, correct?) but again, for just moving it it isn't a concern. You might want to put the old flanges back on along with the C clips just to keep everything in place...

B

It's just for moving, but I need to start the engine and drive it for approx 1000 meters.

It will be like having manual hubs unlocked ?

Thanks

Yes, nothing should turn other than the rotor around the axle shaft, but driving that far might ding up the splines. I really would put the flanges back on in that case, I thought you were just moving it in a driveway or something.

B