Street/Strip vehicle suggestions

brix542

Hey looking to buy a car or truck to use as a DD and also slowly build up for the drag strip. Kinda leaning towards a truck for hauling purpose but also know that they cause more to build for the strip. Have an 1/8 mile track 5 miles away but will eventually travel to other tracks. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

LS1 F-body. Can find them for cheap. Respond well to easy mods. My old 2001 auto was cam only. (Futral F14 Camshaft, stock heads.) Rest bolt on's and was running low 12s in the 1/4 mile.

Looking to invest 3-5 grand in the vehicle itself. Thinking 7-8 second 1/8 mile maybe with boltons. Gdad has offered me a 94 mustang 3.8 5 speed for free just gotta tune it up and do some body work on it. On the fence of fixing it up cause i know how expensive it would be to build.

No offense but I don't think you're going to get there using a v6 mustang. You'd have to end up swapping out the motor and basically rebuild the whole car. I would graciously accept that car from your Granddad, clean it up, throw a tune up on it and make it as respectable a commuter as possible and then sell it. From there, it's about what do you like? Are you about classic muscle cars from the 70s, or more modern sports cars. Fuel injection or carburetion, foreign or domestic? I LOVE 70s and 80s Japanese sports cars, they've always held a special place in my heart. The 5MGE inline 6 from Toyota is a radical beast n/a or forced, I love the look of a mark IV supra with the fender flares and mags and fat tires and when you sit inside one of those it's like being in a cockpit of a spaceship or something. Or you've got the shrunken down miniature muscle look of a 75 Toyota Celica GT (I had a 77 ST coupe) fast back with the window louvres and quad headlights and bullet proof 20 / 22 R engines that you can turbo the ever loving crap out of, easily put 10, 12 psi through one of those. And then of course from my own name sake the Datsun 280Z (or controversially ZX which is what I had, loved it) another great inline 6 that made loads of torque and huge fun to drive. Whatever you do, just remember to have fun with it. Good luck!

He wants to do like 11 sec 1/4 mile times it sounds like, I don't really know how far / short / quick the 1/8 mile strip is so for 7 - 8 secs I guess it would be about 2/3rds the distance of 1/4 mile. I'm guessing roughly 0 - 60 in about 5 or 6 seconds. 3 - 5K to spend for that could go any number of a 1000 different ways.

He wants to do like 11 sec 1/4 mile times it sounds like, I don't really know how far / short / quick the 1/8 mile strip is so for 7 - 8 secs I guess it would be about 2/3rds the distance of 1/4 mile.  I'm guessing roughly 0 - 60 in about 5 or 6 seconds.  3 - 5K to spend for that could go any number of a 1000 different ways.

1/8 is exactly half of a 1/4 mile, but based on an 8 second 1/8 mile with a terminal speed of 85 miles, your looking at roughly a 12 second 1/4.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

'85-'89 300zx turbo, Walbro 255 fuel pump, MBC set to 12 PSI intercooled, 3" exhaust, ASCO plenum spacer, ASCO adjustable csm gears, Schneider 270 cams. That's the most you can do with stock fuel system injectors and ECU wise. Bigger turbo, 9:1 NA engine, Nistune/Rommulator, more boost and you've got yourself a pretty fast car.

A 300zx with mild upgrades at 10-11psi will walk a Mustang GT. At 16psi they'll take on a Cobra, an NA one of course.

'88-'89s have a weeny T25 turbo instead of the T3. Running less boost, more aggressive timing, and higher compression they put out more than the T3 cars. But for anything over stock boost really you need a bigger turbo than the T25. T3s start blowing hot air around 13-14psi.

G-Body GM, you can probably get a "non-performance package" one for close to scrap price. Chevy small block it (depending on what is found, could have one already) and have easy and plentiful parts, their full framed (check the rear rails, they rot like wd21s!) with a solid axle in the back (coil sprung) with a upper/lower a-arm front end with coils, should make suspension fairly inexpensive. Strip the interior to essentials will lighten it up a decent bit. Budget strip car that ain't a Camaro or Mustang.

Or one of my future plans of finding a totaled SRT4 Neon and meshing it with a woodgrained K-Car wagon...

note: I personally don't like G-Bodies but thats is a PERSONAL choice, has to do with everyone who's parents didn't buy their car for them pulled in with a Cutlass/Regal/Monte/Grand Prix-including myself as one of my 'in-between' cars. Though mine was a loaded Cutlass Supreme with the big couch-like overstuffed seats and whatnot (burgundy, surprise!) and I DID have some fond memories in that thing by myself...

G-bodys are a valid choice as well. However there are some things to consider with those. They do have a solid axle out back. However it is a small 8 bolt or the smaller 10 bolt. The 10 bolt is better but its not the same 10 bolt that was in trucks etc. When you get into the performance models some had the larger 10 bolt, some had a Bog-warner 9 bolt. You'll find the 9 bolt in the Regal T-types, Olds 442 Cutlass, rarely in the Monte SS. With the Monte SS. Beware of cheap clones. Easy to take a regular Monte and throw a few body parts on it to make it clone. You'll have to run the VIN or check the RPO codes IF they are still there. Depending on year they can be a sticker in the glove box, under the seat etc.

I had a 1981 Malibu Classic 4 door. That thing was a blast! Bench seats and all. Threw a 383 in it. Kept the stock 2.73s in the rear end. Would get 18mpg on the highway cruising 60+ :happy: Be really slick and find a G-body wagon.

• 1 year later...

Honestly I've got a Lincoln mark viii that'll get most mustangs. Does 0-60 somewhere around late 6's. Great car to just drive plus can maintain a very stock look for the sleeper we all love. Featured the modular 4.6l v8. Sequencial port injection. Can find super chargers and or turbos pretty cheap. And easily chipped as all police Ford's have the same engine. And mustang engine parts are common

• Like 1

My personal sleeper choices would be a 90s big body Caprice (LT-1 power) or same era Buick Roadmaster. Solid axles, full frame, and looks that absolutely no one would expect.

Runner up: 94-99 Maxima, VQ30DE V6, and already runs 14s stock. But, and this is major, front wheel drive, limited aftermarket support etc etc. Still is a dream of mine. :D