Strange Annoyance

erathge

Hey everyone. So two days ago my pathfinder began making a strange noise.

First off, it sounds like someone tapping a screwdriver on a piece of metal and seems to be coming from the rear underside of the truck. The strange part about the issue that makes it difficult to isolate is that it only occurs while driving in reverse, with the clutch out and while giving some gas. Otherwise I never hear the sound. Any ideas, or where to start looking? Thanks :)

Throw the rear end up on jack stands. Chock the front wheels good. Neutral and rotate the rear tires. Should be able to find it easier. From that, check and make sure you dont have a stick or something caught up anywhere.

• Like 1

Throw the rear end up on jack stands. Chock the front wheels good. Neutral and rotate the rear tires. Should be able to find it easier. From that, check and make sure you dont have a stick or something caught up anywhere.

That was the first thing I did, forgot to mention. Thanks though! But it's only when I'm moving and giving gas in reverse. Push the clutch in while still rolling and the noise is gone. :shrug:

Then its clutch related most likely.

Another possible, is possibly worn engine and tranny mount letting the exhaust rattle and tap the body somewhere. Which only gets torque that particular way under load in reverse.

Edited by Rebelord
  • Like 1

Yep, heard it. ^^^ Sounds like a lil gremlin with a bell!

Man, I would still put it up on jack stands good. Chocked good. Let it idle in reverse while on the stands to try to see if you can isolate a side. But if not. Then with the truck and everything off. Start checking everything that can rotate in reverse.

Unfortunately, thats going to be one of them gremlins.

That is pretty wild are you sure it is not the spare tire winch chains bouncing. Sounds too tinny for it to be the transmission, almost like a little bell.

Nope! Usually have the spare tire on there, took it off for the video.

Yep, heard it. ^^^ Sounds like a lil gremlin with a bell!

Man, I would still put it up on jack stands good. Chocked good. Let it idle in reverse while on the stands to try to see if you can isolate a side. But if not. Then with the truck and everything off. Start checking everything that can rotate in reverse.

Unfortunately, thats going to be one of them gremlins.

Yup, im thinking thats what I might have to try. Make me a bit nervous to do that, especially because it only occurs when I'm giving some gas, not when I'm just idling in reverse. Don't really like the idea of running it like that while on stands.

Its your wind chimes...

No, but seriously, last time your rear brakes were checked? Perhaps the ABS sensor or something of the sort? Did you do anything to the truck just before this started?

Sounds like thing metal hitting an exhaust pipe...Check the prop shaft. Maybe something has affixed itself to it and it is smacking an exhaust pipe, muffler or the fuel tank protector. Sometimes when things spin (like wires or something of the sort) they are actually shorter going one way (because of the way they curve) and don't hit items but as soon as you start rotating the other way, they'll hit.

Play around with the camera, placing it in different areas of the car, facing it toward the center-line of the car starting in the center, (around the b-pillar) and work it backwards. Check the video right after every different location to see if the sound gets louder or not. If it gets louder, you're getting closer to solving the mystery. That way you won't have to raise the truck on JS. :lmao:

Edited by Bluewulf73
  • Like 1

Its your wind chimes...

No, but seriously, last time your rear brakes were checked? Perhaps the ABS sensor or something of the sort? Did you do anything to the truck just before this started?

Sounds like thing metal hitting an exhaust pipe...Check the prop shaft. Maybe something has affixed itself to it and it is smacking an exhaust pipe, muffler or the fuel tank protector. Sometimes when things spin (like wires or something of the sort) they are actually shorter going one way (because of the way they curve) and don't hit items but as soon as you start rotating the other way, they'll hit.

Play around with the camera, placing it in different areas of the car, facing it toward the center-line of the car starting in the center, (around the b-pillar) and work it backwards. Check the video right after every different location to see if the sound gets louder or not. If it gets louder, you're getting closer to solving the mystery. That way you won't have to raise the truck on JS. :lmao:

Thanks for the advice! Rear brakes ckecked... Never, was told they were at about 50% when I bought the vehicle 3 years ago and that was it. Yeah, once it stops raining here in the Interior of BC I'll start playing around with the camera. Hopefully for now it just stays an annoyance.

If anyone else has any ideas im all ears :)

Edited by erathge

Did you install a bicycle bell to warn pedestrians when you're backing up? LOL :)

The frequency is about 4 times one tire rotation, which is points to something that could be hanging around near one of your driveshafts.

• Like 1

:lol: Dang it man! I listen to your video and I end up twenty minutes later watching cruise ships getting rocked by massive waves.

I was originally thinking that you might have an issue with the rear drums trying to do the auto adjustment with the breaking in reverse. I don't think that is the cause though. Heck, I've only posted this much since I've now invested twenty minutes of my life with your Youtube post.

Replaced any Ujoints lately? Or been under muddy water? I learned something interesting during my last terribly executed Ujoint rehab (there's always some silver lining lol). I accidentally dropped the drive shaft and dented the little flange around the yoke/transfer case interface. Just a tiny little bit mind you. Now on my transfer case is a bell housing sorta thing and the clearance between the two is small. Put it all back together and noticed this strange little bell noise under different conditions, but mostly when backing up. Came to conclude that when torque or load was applied just enough, the driveshaft angle changed, and the the flange would rub against the bell housing just right. Ding ding ding...

It actually jogged my memory to a day of heavy mudding with the truck where I had this obnoxious and strange noise a few years ago. Ended up being a little sediment/rock had gotten up in there and was making a hell of a noise. Check it out, could be your troll bell.

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to update the post, but the sound went away about two weeks ago, must have been something stuck to the driveshaft or something. :shrug: Thanks again everyone.