difficulty shifting into first gear

bundyboy

Hi Guys,

when I come to a stop I really have to shove the gearstick to get it into 1st gear. No problems when on the move changing down. New heavy duty clutch 6mths ago and reconditioned gearbox. Any ideas on what it could be. Gear oil is clean and only six months old.

Al

When that happened, I would always put my old car into 2nd gear, then first gear before i took off from a light. Dunno why, but it always did the trick for me. Similarly, I would shift into first gear first, then into the reverse gear when backing up too.

Yeah, the double shifting can help... I find double clutching helps also with mine; it's stiff into first when it is cold. What weight oil are you running the the tranny ? Is is cold where you live ? These could be factors. Could also be syncro related...

Bernard

When that happened, I would always put my old car into 2nd gear, then first gear before i took off from a light. Dunno why, but it always did the trick for me. Similarly, I would shift into first gear first, then into the reverse gear when backing up too.

yup, I do the exact same thing right now, seems to do the trick :)

Mine did it for a bit few months after I bought it for some reason. When I'd anticipate a green light, I'd slide it into 2nd but not move, then slide to first at the light change no problem. I'm not sure what the issue was, but I know the clutch was somewhat along in life and after a while I got annoyed with it, so I just crammed and forced it into 1st. After a bit of that, amazingly, there were no issues for over 1 1/2 years until I replaced teh clutch.

Yes, Nissan manual states 75-90w for a 95, but I have 85-90w because thats all I could find when I needed it. It is a bit stiff when cold (30-40F) but loosens right up after a few miles so I don't think thats the whole problem. 'overfilling' recommended as per madkiwi's TSB in the garage section...

Bernard

Gear oil is clean and only six months old.

Al

i've been thinking about this because i have never had such problem on any stick shift.

maybe there is a break-in period and you need to change oil but you said it's clean so i am a bit buffeled.

the other thing is that the oil has to be GL4 and nothing else but i don't know if that would really have an effect on shifting or not or just early break down of the tranny...

• 10 years later...