Missing Link

ennacac

I was wondering if there are any negative issues coming from installing the Missing Link on my 2002 Pathfinder? I have read all the positive aspects of the instillation, but was wondering of stiffening up the body causes any negative results?

If not, why didn't Nissan include this simple produce on the SUV in the first place?

Tom

Same reason they didn't include the front/rear lockers, skid plates etc :) None of those are needed when you consider the general public but every little thing Nissan (or any manufacturer) adds also adds to the cost.

As for the negative side effects, I haven't noticed any nor can I think of one. I know some people rave about the missing link but for me the difference it made was not night and day. YMMV. I built my own with a pipe/conduit similar in design to the one on the BMWs- same concept though.

• Like 1

I'm with stioc, the R50 is really a compromise car, for mall mom's with the side thought that maybe someone will take it off road a little. I have the missing link & like stioc I can't say as I've noticed a great difference, but then I haven't really paid too much attention. There's usually so much screaming, hanging on, praying & crying (all from me I might add) when I go off road that I wouldn't notice it anyway :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 4

I'm with stioc, the R50 is really a compromise car, for mall mom's with the side thought that maybe someone will take it off road a little. I have the missing link & like stioc I can't say as I've noticed a great difference, but then I haven't really paid too much attention. There's usually so much screaming, hanging on, praying & crying (all from me I might add) when I go off road that I wouldn't notice it anyway :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:lol:

• Like 1

I was wondering if there are any negative issues coming from installing the Missing Link on my 2002 Pathfinder? I have read all the positive aspects of the instillation, but was wondering of stiffening up the body causes any negative results?

If not, why didn't Nissan include this simple produce on the SUV in the first place?

Tom

My apologies for stealing this, but it's one of my favorite signatures on this forum:

New%2520Picture%2520%252811%2529.jpg

• Like 1

I'm with stioc, the R50 is really a compromise car, for mall mom's with the side thought that maybe someone will take it off road a little.

True that.

NOT knocking the R50 at all here.....just SUVs and people in general

The R50 was going into the SUV craze: when SUVs moved from being sport UTILITY vehicles to being suburban mall crawlers and soccer mom vehicles that had 4WD to make people feel cool....and leather seats and all that jazz.

There was an article a while back in one of the automotive industry magazines, that stated based on their polling 70% of the people who own 4WD SUVs have never used the 4WD. I was shocked by that but then again we have had people trade in their 3,4,5 year old vehicles here who didnt even know they had 4WD.........

• Like 1

True that.

NOT knocking the R50 at all here.....just SUVs and people in general

The R50 was going into the SUV craze: when SUVs moved from being sport UTILITY vehicles to being suburban mall crawlers and soccer mom vehicles that had 4WD to make people feel cool....and leather seats and all that jazz.

There was an article a while back in one of the automotive industry magazines, that stated based on their polling 70% of the people who own 4WD SUVs have never used the 4WD. I was shocked by that but then again we have had people trade in their 3,4,5 year old vehicles here who didnt even know they had 4WD.........

I think the R50's, 4-Runner's, etc, up to the early 2000's were the last of the "capable" SUV's. Every year they're geared more & more to the mall cruzers, even the new Heeps are going that way somewhat although they are still geared towards froading.

Alkorahil, your comment about the 4wd made me laugh, I was asked to use 4 low on my last Big Bear trip & I didn't know how to get it into 4 low!! :laugh: :laugh:

I always in 2wd & use 4 hi if I need 4wd as most of my trails aren't really tough. I had to read the little instruction card that's on the visor :lmao:

Still, at least I know now how to put it in 4 low if I ever need to. :itsallgood:

Edited by theexbrit

I didnt mean to thread jack this.

:jacked:

As to the question on the part. I can definately see it having some use on a unibody vehicle; it is the same as some items you find on some of the high end unibody sports cars to stiffen the rear chassis.

.............and the price seemed reasonable to me.......

Thanks for the replies, I realize the R50 is a compromise vehicle, and when I purchased mine I really wanted an Xterra, since I really loved the last one I had.

When I found the 2002 R50 on Craigslist in SF, I just couldn't pass it up since it only had 42,000 miles on it and it was a 5-Speed. I'm not trying to make it into something it isn't, just trying to make it into the best it can be for my use as a hunting and fishing vehicle, along with my Photography.

The "Link" seems to make the steering more solid than it was by just a bit, which works for me.

• Like 1

Someone had stated previously that with the missing link in place, it prevents the engine from dropping in the event of a collision. Especially pertaining to those that a are fully boxed. There is one that is built to break off and allow the engine to drop but I forget who posted it.

The "Link" seems to make the steering more solid than it was by just a bit, which works for me.

I agree! Thats how I think anyways. HUGE improvemnt? no. Improvement? Yes. so I am happy.

Tom

So...I've been eyeing a Missing Link myself from Jacson Autosports for many months now....finally got off my butt and picked up the phone to call them today. Bad news. They are out of them...and can't make them at the $40 price point without at least 10 orders. Was wondering what the interest level is out there and maybe get lucky and see if there are 9 of you out there who might want to order one? I do not intend to hijack the thread...but being as it's exactly about what ennacac posted about...thought I'd avoid creating a separate thread.....but happy to do so if more appropriate. Whaddya say guys? Any takers?

So...I've been eyeing a Missing Link myself from Jacson Autosports for many months now....finally got off my butt and picked up the phone to call them today. Bad news. They are out of them...and can't make them at the $40 price point without at least 10 orders. Was wondering what the interest level is out there and maybe get lucky and see if there are 9 of you out there who might want to order one? I do not intend to hijack the thread...but being as it's exactly about what ennacac posted about...thought I'd avoid creating a separate thread.....but happy to do so if more appropriate. Whaddya say guys? Any takers?

If you have no luck rounding peeps up for a JA ML and you're in a hurry to get something like it, you might want to contact Fleurys, he has his own version of the link which I would imagine is just as useful... I believe he uses his as an attachment point for front and mid bash plates too.

Just sayin'...

Edited by Bluewulf73

• 2 months later...

Hmmm. Seems to be quite a bit more expensive. I appreciate the link though!

I guess that's one of the reason Jackson does'nt make them anymore... and mine cannot be compared (no offense). Mine can be used to go offroading without fearing to bend it if you hit rocks or high center the truck...

S.

I guess that's one of the reason Jackson does'nt make them anymore... and mine cannot be compared (no offense). Mine can be used to go offroading without fearing to bend it if you hit rocks or high center the truck...

S.

Seems like that's your website. Can you do it without the bottom plate ? I have no plans to use my pathy off roading. As an Ebay seller, those shipping prices are off the charts.

Edited by 04Pathfinder

Seems like that's your website. Can you do it without the bottom plate ? I have no plans to use my pathy off roading. As an Ebay seller, those shipping prices are off the charts.

I will send you a quote without the plate and welded nuts...

As for the shipping price, they are right if you live in canada.... and use Canada Post to ship... In the US, shipping is so cheap, it's not even funny ! LOL

S.

I've ordered stuff from Fleurys. Shipping is higher because he is in Canada. But, I tell you. I live in Miami. Every time I've ordered, its here in 2-3 days. I think once it may have been 4. Which is darn fast considering we are at complete opposites geographical wise.

Edit: Maybe not opposites so much, but close to 1700 miles away.

Edited by Rebelord