stock vg33 no power past half throttle?

I just got the apathy, its a 98. And when trying to accelerate hard (wot) it seems to lose power past half throttle or so.. I've gone through my normal things and changer the fuel filter and plugs, both of which were waaayyy past due. I've checked the cap and wires and they are damn near new (whole distributor is new actually). I am wondering if when the dizzy was replaced if they got it a tooth off? Because its turned fully counterclockwise, idles at about 800rpm and does have pretty good power until I give it past half throttle. So anyone have any advice for me?

i would re-set the distributor if it were me. it shouldnt be fully adjusted in one direction... it should sit somewhere near the middle of its throw when the timing is adjusted properly. (I believe its still 15 btdc on vg33e distributor but don`t quote me, check for yourself)

set the engine to top dead center on the compression stroke for cylinder 1. you can then remove the distributor and re-clock it back to its lined up position. there should be 2 markers on the side of the distributor for you to line it up before you slide it back in, may take a try or two to get it in on the right tooth, but it should sit closer to the center of the bolts adjustment when timing is set. (make sure you use a timing light) it is likely they got it off a tooth if it looks new yet is adjusted all the way counter clock wise. i wouldnt be surprised by that at all..

other than that you can check the condition of all your electrical connectors and engine grounds, your tune up items, etc... but i would reclock the distributor first if it were me. eliminate anything you are doubting that would be a free fix first... then start moving to replacing things.

theres a really good guide in the factory service manual on how to re-set your distributor. make sure when you check the timing after that you can get it perfectly in spec while still having adjustment in both directions.

Edited by Nefarious

Well I got it fixed.. all in all I ended up fixing a bent piece on the high idle assembly under the the that was causing the throttle not to close completely, I cleaned the FILTHY maf sensor , adjusted the tps to spec because it was adjusted wrong since the throttle wouldn't close completely, and then to finish it off I adjusted the dizzy timing (no timing light so I just went by trial and error and found the sweet spot I like). Now on top of the new fuel filter and plugs I put in the other day she is running good and is actually faster (finally) then my old 86 carb'd hardbody lol. Thanks for the help though. I'm sure I'll be around this board for a while to come.