Purchased a 2013 Pathfinder today

devonianwalk

Like the title states, I am the new proud owner of a 2013 Pathfinder. I bought it solely for off-roading. She's two-tone yellow/white (other option was blue/white) and I'm already planning on heading out tomorrow morning. I hope that y'all don't give me too much flak for buying this little beauty.

406807149.jpg

406807150.jpg

Of course I wouldn't buy a dang family wagon. I just bought this today to take out on closed waterways (lakes, ponds, and a deep river) close to my house. I didn't spring for a good one as this is my first kayak. I did, however, spring for a good PFD. I figure why skimp on a floatation device that could save my life when (not "if") I roll this thing over. I also picked up a watertight case for my cell phone. Any of you do any kayaking or canoeing that are willing to give me any tips or advice?

• Like 1

Yeah, I used to do a bit. Best advice, have fun.

And white side down. :aok:

That's my intent.

i seriously almost bought plane tickets to south carolina to attack u lol but that looks fun

That was my intent.

Any of you do any kayaking or canoeing that are willing to give me any tips or advice?

don't tip?

I've contemplated getting one honestly but have enough crap to do to ad kayaking to the list (especially with better boats at my disposal, with engines and room for fishing stuff!)

406807149.jpg

406807150.jpg

Of course I wouldn't buy a dang family wagon. I just bought this today to take out on closed waterways (lakes, ponds, and a deep river) close to my house. I didn't spring for a good one as this is my first kayak. I did, however, spring for a good PFD. I figure why skimp on a floatation device that could save my life when (not "if") I roll this thing over. I also picked up a watertight case for my cell phone. Any of you do any kayaking or canoeing that are willing to give me any tips or advice?

Cool, congrats! I grew up kayaking and plan to own my own again (a two person this time). So this is what you got? (don't mind the dicks)

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12648457&gsidynamic=GooglePLA-_--_--_-SKU-12334288&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:12648457:12334288:-

They have come a long ways with the molded kayaks, even yours has features that were a luxury 20 years ago! It is a bit short and broad beamed for trecking (I had a fiberflass 16 footer with rudder) but it should be handy all around. :aok:

I used to kayak in the SF bay and related estuarys, lakes and rivers so I'll tell you a few things I learned in one way or another.

Always wear your flotation device so you never need it. Your biggest threat is some idiot in a power boat so beware and don't be too proud to bail (or flip) if needed. Dont assume they see you, or care.

Don't worry about flipping, kayaks are inherently more stable than canoes as you are lower with a lower CG, firmly seated and only one person doing the balancing. Once you are in, you are golden.

Water and shade. You know the shade part, but bring water and multiple containers. I've lost my only canteen and that sucked for hours! You have that wonderful hatch so use it but remember that it might not be easy to get to when seated. A waterproof or hard use backpack clipped under the front bungees might be a better idea.

Ziplock baggies are your friend! Reusable and critical; consider what is in your pockets! Remove wallet, phone and whatever else and place in ziplocks, then probably the rear hatch. 1 gallon freezer types are seriously tough.

Acclimate. I don't know how you are for upper body strength being a beanpole, but this is where you are going to need/earn/gain it! Kayaking isn't hard but it is all pulling with arms and shoulders so start out mellow and close to shore until you understand what your abilities are and/or you develope them. Also, you shouldn't haul at the paddles like a canoe, it is more dip, pull and twist, repeat. Depending, sometimes it is best to push out on your up hand while pulling back with your down hand, using it as a fulcrum to lever the paddle into more speed, but each stroke should be smooth and minimal effort, as you will see... ;)

Don't paddle too far or until you are tired, especially before you know your limits or develope stamina. You still have to paddle back! If you have a time limit, figure 1/3 out/ 2/3 in and that will give you a margin you will apppreciate at some point.

Know the area and conditions. I've gotten tricked by tides in the bay, but even a lake can joke you. Sometimes there are things like 'west winds every afternoon in summer' type thing and it has caught me before. Paddling against a stiff wind is no joke, especially if you are returning and tired/sore. I have used my paddle (and my back) as a sail to drift in before a wind, probably 1/2 the speed of paddling, and I've paddled like I was chased by the hounds of hell for 1/2 an hour to make the last few hundred yards to shore. It was a howler, and a fisherman watching said he bet I wasn't going to make it! 'All the boats get off the lake by 4pm' was his comment and he was right, every day...

Don't ever lose you paddle! Sounds silly until you are here and it is there...

Put a simple bungee choker on it and that wonderful front mount you have, it might save you from some seriously awkward times!

Fishing off of a kayak can be awesome! You can slink in nice and quiet and there is no problem casting and what not. You haven't fished until a damn trout has towed you around! :D

Most of all, use it! That is why I got rid of my first one, no place to store and no time to use (damn college). Take it out, use it and have a blast with nature!

B

Oh, waterproof camera or casing for what you have already. There will be many times you will regret not having one...

• Like 1

Cool, congrats!

You have answered what I was fishing for .. although I don't fish!

You called me out (precisely .. :lol: ) on my recent purchase at Sir Richards. At least you did not call me out for a purchase at my local Nippo dealership!!

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. I am old enough to take my time on learning my bean-pole skills. I did play football in high school but, my skill was on my lower body strength as I was one of the fastest runners on a very slow team. I can't wait for the morning to come. I have always wanted a canoe for years. All it took was my little bro to get his kayak to get me to pull the trigger .. for a cheap $230!!

What can I say, I'm like that... :D

That is a great price, I'm glad you got it and even better that you have a paddle buddy who is a relative and doesn't have any reason to see your arse drowned. (see firearm packing conceiled)

Lower body strength will achieve little in kayaking unless you are trying not to poop.

Just give it a try and see how it goes, but remember, speed is related to effort. You can putter along at 1/4 speed on a calm lake with 1/10 the effort than you can make full speed against windy chop. It's all about the situation.

The wife and I were tooling around on a 2 person sit-on at Lake Tahoe when a mid day wind kicked up. We weren't far out but after a few minutes of her throwing water at me without any effect, I told her to ship her paddle and lean forward to windbreak. We made it in with reasonable grace and the rental people actually said it was well handled (they didn't mention the daily wind before, yes another story) but it still took a lot of serious effort. Without trying to scare you, this was just winds, not even tide or current.

I'm not some unstoppable ogre by any means, but I do have some upper body strength at 6'1" and 200 lbs. Sometimes it can be required... :shrug:

DSC_0105.jpg

B

• Like 1

What can I say, I'm like that... :D

That is a great price, I'm glad you got it and even better that you have a paddle buddy who is a relative and doesn't have any reason to see your arse drowned. (see firearm packing conceiled)

Actually, my brother received his South Cackalack CWP a few weeks ago (did I already cover that?). I should receive mine any day now. :shrug:

Lower body strength will achieve little in kayaking unless you are trying not to poop.

I'm covered there. Well, actually my better half fed me an egg based breakfast casserole for dinner so, I'll be farting in my Pathfinders by the a.m. :lol:

DSC_0105.jpg

B

Ponytail!

Yes, upper body strength for making me that sammich!

Making the sammich is easy, the upper body strength is for making you eat it when I tell you to!!

Actually, my brother received his South Cackalack CWP a few weeks ago (did I already cover that?). I should receive mine any day now. :shrug:

I'm covered there. Well, actually my better half fed me an egg based breakfast casserole for dinner so, I'll be farting in my Pathfinders by the a.m. :lol:

Ponytail!

Fark regulations, this is reality! Sorry, I obviously never said a thing...

Well then, eat eggs before kayaking and then set a sail!

Yeah, so? Jealous?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :rofl: :rofl:

To all of these posts!

What, I thought it was good advice!

Kayak much in the english channel or just in the SoCal desert? :tongue:

B

Making the sammich is easy, the upper body strength is for making you eat it when I tell you to!!

B

Damnit man! You just made my sinus' act up with the LOL'ing I just did in my living room! Plus, I had to give my wife the whole back story of this "non-sense" thread I started .. FROM THE BEGINING!

I'm proud, nay, gleeful to be of assistance!

I'm not some body builder, I don't even work out! I'm just built that way/due to work/exercise (like kayaking i guess?). THORG MUST SMASH!! :lol:

Got any hot (or not) picture of the wife? :D

B