WD21 SAS brainstorming. have my axle couple different routes.

Seeing stalkers build made me really want to straight axle my pathfinder. I'm in the middle of redoing the front end of my 66 highboy and it presented me a pretty good option.

A while back I acquired a 78-79 F-250 HP 44 as its a 8 lug disc brake leaf pad HP 44 with 4.10's. I had planned on swapping this axle into my highboy but the lp that's in it will work with the exhaust much better.

My ideas are this

1. I want to leaf spring it for cost, ease, and effective for what I want to do.

2. How much lift does the leaf SAS net and can you still use the majority of the factory rear?

3. Do I narrow this axle and find 6 lug outers to match rear or do I leave full width 8 lug and run 8 lug adapters for rear and make it as wide as full width front? How do you guys feel about the nicer billet adapters/spacers?

You are much better off getting a wagoneer front axle, its the right width, has the pumpkin on the right side, and has the right amount of lugs. Using a low pinion d44 is probably one of the harder things to finagle in and is weak enough to make it pretty pointless, just wait for a waggy axle.

It all depends on how much work you want to do. If you use a front full size axle you should hit the wreaking yard for full size rear also. Will it be legal where you live? Full size axles stick out pretty far. Are you making a rock crawler, or something you can still drive every day? Full size axles are not practical for every day use. I only say this because I have done it to a jeep. I would say the easiest thing to do is find the wagoneer axle. If I were to do another swap I would go that way.

The rear factory setup will work to a point(with larger springs and dropped track bar), but you will find it's limitions if it is pushed to hard.

Good Luck