Coolant drain on engine....

zack1978

Hi everyone,

I want to change ALL of the coolant on my 1995 D-21 SE-V6 and I have no idea where the engine coolant drain plug is. The past few years I have just drained the coolant in the radiator, but nothing else. I want 100% new coolant in the cooling system, so I want it all out. What are the steps to getting all of the coolant changed? My plan is to use Zerex traditional green coolant, since the new types of coolant were not available when the truck was built.

Thanks,

Zack

I found it on LC-7. Looks like there are two of them, one by the right side motor mount and one by the alternator. IIRC the lower rad hose is lower than either of these so you'll have to drain that again as well.

I doubt you'll get it completely dry but it's about all you can do. Wouldn't hurt to shoot a little fresh water in there before you button it back up to flush out any residual coolant.

There's also coolant in the overflow tank, so don't forget to drain that. Probably easiest to pull it and dump it rather than stick a turkey baster or something in there.

Yeah, it should be easier to pull the overflow hose and get it lower than the reservoir to drain. Maybe flush some water through it to get rid of any residual sand material - mine had a lot of grit settled in it.

Either get the truck to operation temp and drain from lower rad hose or drain from lower rad hose then pop out the tstat...fill it with water and run it with the drain open on the rad to flush it...or take it to a shop that has coolant flush service

When I removed my drain plugs, nothing drained out due to being clogged. I used a pick (a thin nail should work too) to poke around in the hole until the coolant flowed. then shove a hose in to the radiator and give it a good flush.