Electrical Gremlin

So, in the last few days after driving the Pathfinder and then stopping, key off, getting out of it and then getting back in and trying to start it I get NOTHING. No dashlights/ domelights/ radio, etc.Then after 1-2 minutes of head scratiing and cycling the key everything comes back Except my trip information (milage) and radio settings are wiped. It did it to me once about a month ago at a fuel stop and it did it to me 3X on thursday as I was running around town doing errands. It's never done it while moving just at stops when I take the key out.

Any clues on where to start? Is this common?

The only thing I can think of is I did some rewiring on the fog lights so that they could stay on with the running lights (amber) instead of the lowbeams. I don't really see how this can be related but it's all I've got.

:yeahthat: Make sure your battery terminals are tight, re-check the wiring you did. From the lights to the connections and everything in between.

Check your charging system by checking your voltage at the battery with the car started. If I remember correctly it should be between 12-14 V. If not, you have a bad alternator and/or battery.

I once took my car to the shop and after getting it back it would die when accelerating hard. The positive terminal would pull away from the - battery post. immediately after braking/slowing down, the car would re-start/catch again.

Mechanic never re-installed the terminal on the post, just had it sitting next to it, touching it so everything would be fine until I accelerated. :shrug:

Edited by Bluewulf73

All good suggestions, thanks!

-I checked the battery terminals, gooey but no corrosion. the neg. terminal was a bit loose. I removed both terminals and wiped them, cleaned them with a terminal brush and reinstalled and made sure they were tight. I'm pretty sure I disconnected the battery while doing my fog wiring changes.

-Battery was at 12.5V after sitting all night, 14.3 V with the car running at a high idle, 14.2 with all the load I could put on it (defroster, heated seats, headlights).

-With the key on I jiggled all of the wiring at the battery and both fuse/ relay junction boxes under the hood. Neither resulted in anything but like I said the problem hasn't ever happened at a cold start (yet).

The only modifications to the fog lights where in the driver's side relay junction box. if the problem keeps up I will dismantle the box again and check my work (I've got fairly good confidence in my work but the whole headlamp/ fog light wiring is overly complicated, it was obviously inspired by Nissan's legal team.)

I also have a battery that is of unknown age but of seemingly good shape, it might be worth replacing if the problem keeps up.

Only thing left to cover is your engine block ground. I'd be surprised if you haven't solved this issue.

I just loosened and re-tightened the 6-7 I found in the engine bay.

Fuse links? Doesn't sound like a loose connection though if it only acts up on starts. Next time it does it, check at the battery and then work as far down the line as you can to see if you can find where the current isn't getting through. I'm not sure what component would shut off all power but intermittently, but definitely check it at the fuse box if you messed with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after all the "fixes" I haven't had the problem comeback! I took the Pathfinder camping over Memorial Day weekend and had the key on/off several times and had 0 trouble. The occurrence was so random before I'm not 99% sure it's gone but I'm happy that it hasn't come back so far. Thanks again for all the suggestions.