Z24 to VG30E engine conversion

I've had a search around on this forum and doesnt seem like there is much info on swapping a z24 engine for a VG30E.. Im sure im not the first one to do this so thought I would ask.

I have an 88 Nissan Pathfinder with a 2.4L z24 motor that I wish had a few more horses..

From the looks of it the 92 Pathfinder with the VG30E has the same engine bay/mounts as my 88 Pathy. Will the motor swap require modifications to the engine mounts etc. Also, will the VG30E bolt straight onto the original manual transmission?

My other concern is that the original drivetrain (transmission, diffs, axles, driveshaft etc) will not be able to take the extra HP from the VG30E motor.

If anyone has any info on this I would love to hear from you.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the links. And no, I'm Path88finder from Victoria. Sounds like I have a bit of research to do. What model/year is your Pathy? Looks like its a V6. What model engine is in it? From my understanding there were 88 Pathfinders that were a factory V6.. and this could be an easier swap for the Z24.

Im open to all options, even reconditioning its stock Z24 if it will give it a few more berries. Basically Im after some more grunt for towing and Im a bit sick of doing 80ks up a slight hill on the freeway!

Thanks for the links. And no, I'm Path88finder from Victoria. Sounds like I have a bit of research to do. What model/year is your Pathy? Looks like its a V6. What model engine is in it? From my understanding there were 88 Pathfinders that were a factory V6.. and this could be an easier swap for the Z24.

Im open to all options, even reconditioning its stock Z24 if it will give it a few more berries. Basically Im after some more grunt for towing and Im a bit sick of doing 80ks up a slight hill on the freeway!

Ah okay, it's just because you both have an 88 pathy with and z24i and you both want to swap engines to something else. Yeh I've got the vg30i tbi (throttle body intake 2 injectors) engine but if you do an engine swap I recommend going to the vg30e mpfi (multiport fuel injection six injectors). There is also the diesel engine which is much more common in australia and you would get better fuel economy but that's allot more work converting petrol to diesel. I'm not too sure which engine will bolt up to yours without changing the transmission though I think the diesel and z24 petrol share the same transmission.

From what I've heard (never been under the hood of a 4-banger Pathy) the transmissions are different, or at least different enough that they won't bolt up. You would also need the wiring and ECU for the VG30. Best thing would be to find a wrecked or rotted VG30 Pathy in your area to use as an organ donor... then you'll have all the bits you need.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Z24 transmission is a C series variant like they used in the 720 pickups. Regardless of that anyhow, whether its a C series or 30A, the bell housings will be different.

• 1 month later...

If you use parts from a V6 Terrano or Pathfinder is very straight forward. The VG30E uses a different bell housing pattern and completely different gearbox and transfer case to the Z24. The standard Pathfinder diffs are very strong you can check on the plate under the bonnet. Rear diff should be a HG48 LSD the same basic diff used in Nissan Patrols, virtually indestructible. Below is a full list of the parts needed for the conversion.

• VG30E motor with all accessories
  • Gearbox and transfer case to suit V6
  • Radiator to suit V6
  • High pressure EFI fuel pump
  • Change all fuel hoses to suit high pressure
  • Exhaust system with cat converter
  • ECU and wiring loom
  • Air box with airflow meter

What you don't want is a VG30 motor from anything but a pathfinder or navara because they have the wrong air intake and a V6 gearbox auto or manual has a bigger output shaft than the Z24 gearbox so they wont mate up to the Z24 transfer case. If you source the right parts it is a bolt together job with no cutting or hacking required. Yes I have done the conversion so all of this info is correct.

I am selling a complete VG30E conversion if any of you are interested. After doing 95% of a V6 conversion to my Pathfinder I have decided that I need a diesel powered 4x4 to do some of the trips I have planned for the near future so I have purchased a YD25 with 37000kms from latest model navara. If any of you are interested in buying the complete conversion send me an email or ring 040 784 9775 probably looking at $2500- for the whole lot, the wreckers ask $1650- just for the transmission. I am located in Colac Victoria

Sorry should also add that VG30E must be sourced from a 4x4 navara of pathfinder the sump is different on 2x4's. I have several motors with the correct intake and sump, a couple of ECU's and heaps of VG30E spares I want to sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn,lol,hey leo,im still here mate,gday 88path,im down in tassie,and as leo said,ive found the same prob with the z24,uphill its a gutless wonder. I havin had the coin or time to do this,but if you do id love to hear how it goes,or any other info you habe or find on the 88. Goodluck.

• 1 month later...

Gday all. I too are looking at swapping a new motor into my 88 Pathy. I have both a 1992 and 1988 Pathfinder, the 1992 has the VG30E 3L motor currently in it and is a strong motor.. however is a total rust bucket. On the other hand the 88 Pathfinder is rust free but has a blown Z24. Jhpowlton, sounds like you know what the go is swapping the motors over. Do the engine mounts and engine brackets from the pathfinders with the 3L VG30E motor bolt straight to the 88 Pathfinders engine mounts where the Z24 bolts to? Also, what about the transmission and cross member does this bolt together as well?

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Yes Spark92 it is a straight bolt in using the engine mounts that are on the V6. The biggest job is mating the wiring looms together but the mechanics are very straight forward. I suggest stripping out the Z24 first then swap in the V6 components piece by piece. Don't forget to swap fuel pumps and to replace all fuel hoses with high pressure type.

• 4 months later...