How to apply grease for front wheel bearing?

Darek

I am going to rotate my tires this week. I thought that I could also grease front wheel bearing according to MA-30. But I don't understand what should be greased.

Could you help with some pictures?

bearing.PNG

Repacking the front wheel bearings is an uncomplicated, but somewhat time-consuming and messy affair that is probably not necessary, unless you have a known problem with the bearings. A bearing repack is usually done as part of replacing the front brake rotors, since you've got to remove the hub/rotor assembly from the spindle to replace the rotor.

Here's a useful link: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/26842-front-wheel-bearings-on-a-97/

If you definitely are going to repack your bearings, here's a how-to:

http://www.nissan4wheelers.com/topic/repack-your-front-wheel-bearings---4x4-ifs

This video is for a Nissan Navara (Frontier) but except for the outer hub/drive flange, the process is exactly the same for the R50:

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 2

Thank you for this information. I think that I will do it later this year when I'll be replacing breakes.

He used a special wrench on 5:30 in the video. What is its size/diameter?

Thank you for this information. I think that I will do it later this year when I'll be replacing breakes.

He used a special wrench on 5:30 in the video. What is its size/diameter?

You want this http://www.autopart.com/TOOLS/TOOLSMAIN/tool/T_4170.htm

I found one at my local parts store. There is a more common 4 tab Dana 44 tool that people just grind 2 tabs off as well, check out the nissannut.com site.

There is a more common 4 tab Dana 44 tool that people just grind 2 tabs off as well, check out the nissannut.com site.

That's what I did since I was in a pinch and couldn't find the proper one locally. I did need to bend in the two remaining tabs slightly and shave them down a bit to make them fit well, but nothing a dremel couldn't handle in about 10 minutes time.

If you repack the in-board bearing you will need to buy new seals as the old one will be toast when you remove them. The outer bearing itself is fairly simple, just make sure you press the rotor assembly on fully after repacking or you will spend a god awful amount of time trying to thread the retainer nut/washer thingamajigger and you'll cuss a lot in the process (or at least I did).

Here's a great tip for repacking the inner wheel bearing without completely destroying the grease seal, if you did not acquire a new one. (They're about 12 bucks).

After removing the hub/rotor assembly, place it face-up on two pieces of wood (or other supportive material) so that the center of the hub and the grease seal are suspended a couple of inches above a clean surface that is prepared to catch the bearing and grease seal.

Insert the handle of a hammer, a 1"-diameter hardwood dowel or other non-metallic object about 10" long through the center of the hub. Using a hammer, tap around the circumference of the inner bearing, which will eventually pop out the inner bearing and the grease seal without damaging it.

• Like 1