Home Made Roof Basket

So I've been pondering the thought of building my own roof basket, and came up with an idea at my work. Our warehouse sends us our stock order in these cages, that just so happens to be the perfect width and length. So, with a little negotiation, and a little modification, I think it's gonna come out pretty well. The pictures below are just my mock up (i.e. sweet ziptie mounts), still needs paint, lights, and accessories. Anyone have any ideas?

IMAG0375_zps14d5da34.jpgIMAG0376_zps49a5fd47.jpg

Looks awesome. Might have some wind noise and possibly take a slight hit on mpg but not too bad. If it were me and just an idea, I would fabricate a wind faring with the same agle as the wind sheild to help deflect the wind and branches when off road. Could be build for like twenty bucks and a few holes drilled and your good. Sweet find tho

• Like 1

Niiiiiice! It'll look even better once its painted and your lights are on it. Perhaps you can use or copy one of the Thule or Yakima fairings to prevent it from becoming too noisy. Also, not sure what the bottom looks like but if you are intending on carrying someting heavy up there, perhaps some supportive bracing.

If you want it to go lower and the length-wise edges line up with the rack runners, you gcould take off the cross bars and mount it directly on the runners a la stioc, I think...

• Like 1