more power!

johnyreb

I'm looking to get a little more umph outta the vg30e in my 92 pathy not trying to build a race car outta it just tired of v8 ford exploders and such running right up on my bumper when im gettin on the highway and if it happens to make my trail driving easier then so be it suggestions?

Edited by johnyreb

Well, the easy answer is to set up a caltrop drop system. That will slow them down regardless of motor size...

The other is to wait until you are mid accel curve, and then brake check them. That should be amusing as well.

Third and seriously, you have the option of intake, headers and VG33 swap or some combination of all three, depending on local laws. Nothing will make the WD21 a rocket, but it will help.

The other answer is not to worry what others do and appreciate what you have. :shrug:

B

• Like 2

Vg33e swap, headers, exhaust, intake, electric fan, <~ I have already done.(and its noticeably faster)

Vg30e cams, n60 maxima maf, vg33e intake manifold, ecu tune. <~ is next on the list.

That is my plan and I'm aiming for over 210 at the crank and over 225 lb ft torque once the tune is finished. Won't be a race truck but it WILL be fun.

Auto or manual? Mine's an automatic and it forgets that it's underpowered. Say you're going sixty up a hill and you slow for a corner, it'll upshift. Try and accelerate and LOL nope, you're doing 45 now, and it won't shift back down until you floor it. There's a 'power' switch (on the dash on mine, not exactly sure where it is on the square dash) that changes the shift points, which is a big help. O/D off, power mode on, and it wakes up a bit. It's still not leMans worthy but it'll hold its speed on a grade and it'll accelerate much more quickly.

If it's manual, I got nothing, other than a tuneup wouldn't hurt if it's been a while.

I just raced my gfs 93 manual vg30e pathy with no lift and stock tires. My 93 auto vg33e pathy with intake exhaust headers and electric fans and 7 inch lift on 33x12.5 tires on 15x10 steel rims (wheels are literally 85lbs each with tires) and I stop won from launch all the way through to 110 km/h. Power can be had in these trucks! Once I finish my tune and intake work it will be even happier :)

Auto

and to tell the truth i wanna be able to out run my dads jeep cherrokee i already out perform him on the trails now i wanna out do him on the highway

Ahh, to be young and have everything be a pissing match again... :lol:

I just raced my gfs 93 manual vg30e pathy with no lift and stock tires. My 93 auto vg33e pathy with intake exhaust headers and electric fans and 7 inch lift on 33x12.5 tires on 15x10 steel rims (wheels are literally 85lbs each with tires) and I stop won from launch all the way through to 110 km/h. Power can be had in these trucks! Once I finish my tune and intake work it will be even happier :)

Yes, there is power to be had several ways, but I suspect you aren't governed by smog laws? I like what you are doing, but not everyone can do or justify it.

B

• Like 1

For now since budget is an issue I'm thinkin a cold air intake tuned ecu performance distibuter and vent/scoop to increase airflow

These already have a cold air intake, the stock ignition is very powerful, and tuning the ECU isn't really a thing that happens yet. (Nefarious is working on it.) Apparently you can put an Infiniti M30 ECU in there or do a variety of other things, but IIRC they require some supporting mods (MAF, wiring, etc). Sounds like the truck has some other issues though judging by your other threads. Once you get those sorted you may find that it gets a lot of power back.

Racing is not just for the young! I guess my love of fast turbo cars just rubs off in the 4x4 world as well..! And you are correct. Most of BC has no smog laws and the only place that does (lower mainland, where I live) is getting rid of it by the end of 2014. I get a 2 year pass each time so I am now good until the aircare program ends for passenger vehicles. Now is when it gets really fun.:)

I'll definitely post updates on the ecu tuning once the rest of my components come in. Specialty tools have all arived I'm just waiting on some EEPROMs and a programmer

BTW they are right these trucks do have a decent cold air intake from the factory. The intake tubing isn't the problem. It's great for stock or a little higher power but the real limitations are the maf sensor, and throttle body.

Once you open up all the exhaust pipes and get a set of cams the maf/throttle body do become a serious restriction. The vg33e intake manifold also flows substantially better. I'll be integrating all these together and get a dyno day in after university is done for the year and i can afford it again!

Racing is not just for the young! I guess my love of fast turbo cars just rubs off in the 4x4 world as well..! And you are correct. Most of BC has no smog laws and the only place that does (lower mainland, where I live) is getting rid of it by the.end of 2014. I get a 2 year pass each time so I am now good until the aircare program ends for passenger vehicles. Now is when it gets really fun.:)

I'll definitely post updates on the ecu tuning once the rest of my components come in. Specialty tools have all arived I'm just waiting on some EEPROMs and a programmer

there some issues but if u have seen my other posts u may know i only gave $300 for my pathy I've fixed the bigger things that were wrong with it but any rate i got a 100% rust free 4x4 vehicle that runs and drives for next to nothing and I'm happy its in good overall condition

The other is to wait until you are mid accel curve, and then brake check them. That should be amusing as well.

B

Keep your emergency brake well adjusted, no lighting up your brake lights then as a warning!

The other answer is not to worry what others do and appreciate what you have. :shrug:

B

I second that.

I seemed to get a lot more power out of my VG33 by doing a throttle body clean, installing manual hubs & adding electric fans.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I second that.

I seemed to get a lot more power out of my VG33 by doing a throttle body clean, installing manual hubs & adding electric fans.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You almost have me convinced to go electric on the cooling. Hey, if it works in the desert? Right? :shrug:

I gained a noticeable increase in power. Mainly because they don't need to turn on often to maintain the pathys temperature. I have mine wired with an adjustable thermostat switch. I have never overheated and honestly the fan doesn't kick on very often. Just going up steep hills at slow speed offroad or stop and go traffic in the summer. Saving quite a bit of mechanical energy by taking the stock mech fan off and running an electric. Unless u have it wired to run all the time then I would think the difference is negligible. With a thermostatic fan controller there is DEFINITELY a useable power increase. Highway or backroads and it stays off pretty much 100% of the time. A larger rad would help this effect too. I used to run a 3" thick alum rad in my 240sx and NO cooling fan at all. Temp never even moved a hair even in city stop and go driving in 30-40 degrees celsius

Edited by Nefarious

I gained a noticeable increase in power. Mainly because they don't need to turn on often to maintain the pathys temperature. I have mine wired with an adjustable thermostat switch. I have never overheated and honestly the fan doesn't kick on very often. Just going up steep hills at slow speed offroad or stop and go traffic in the summer. Saving quite a bit of mechanical energy by taking the stock mech fan off and running an electric. Unless u have it wired to run all the time then I would think the difference is negligible. With a thermostatic fan controller there is DEFINITELY a useable power increase. Highway or backroads and it stays off pretty much 100% of the time. A larger rad would help this effect too. I used to run a 3" thick alum rad in my 240sx and NO cooling fan at all. Temp never even moved a hair even in city stop and go driving in 30-40 degrees celsius

Great info i had already concidered an electric fan but i think mine would probably be running more often that urs here in Oklahoma summer temps can be as high as 115 not sure what that converts to in celsiu

s but I'm pretty sure its higher than 40

Edited by johnyreb

oh wow. thats like 46 degrees celsius!! I COULD NOT HANDLE THAT. I basically die after 32-33. Literally hiding inside the shop on days like that. I give kudos to anyone who can handle that heat and actually do something in a day. LOL. It got to around 32 and so well I ended up hiding in the shop doing a service on my 240sx. She needed some love too. lol

small shot of Nitrous for when those explorers are on your butt ??

Nitrous is kinda like that cute girl in highschool that's "been around a couple times" to expensive for to much risk

I was looking at the intake manifold and how restrictive it is... since the VG30E is a DOHC, it doesn't make sense that the intake plenums get routed through from 4 tubes to 6 ports (3 on each side).... what options are there instead of sticking a super charger in its place?

I was looking at the intake manifold and how restrictive it is... since the VG30E is a DOHC

The VG30E is SOHC. I'm far from a expert on the intake stuff, I think Kingman said the Pathfinder plenum was one of the better flowing units.