Fuel Temp. Sensor?

That1Guy

Will a broken fuel temperature sensor cause performance issues? I took my 98 Pathfinder Se to Autozone and had them do the OBD scan and it came back P0180. It has no power at low rpm's and picks up at around three thousand. Also I can smell gas a lot (not during driving) so I'm wondering if the fuel pump is gone too?

Follow the diagnosis procedure described on page EC-254 of the factory service manual.

Replace your fuel filter if it hasn't been changed within the past two years. Your gas smell could be coming from the fuel filter clamps if they've loosened a bit. There is a good DIY guide here on NICOclub if you're unfamiliar with the replacement procedure.

Normally not from my experience, but it would depend on mileage over the 2 years and quality/cleanlyness of the fuel. I'm not sure what the recommended interval is though.

B

There is no recommended interval; the FSM states that it should be replaced "when the vehicle speed cannot be increased as the driver wishes" - i.e. when the thing is completely clogged. I feel that 2 years is a reasonable interval for a $10-15 filter.

Sorry, I should of added this to my post. I just changed my fuel filter about 2 weeks ago (well over 2 years old lol), and not too long before that I fixed a visible gas leak. Since then I still smell the gas, maybe not as strong, but there are no visible leaks that I can see. I was reading something about the charcoal canister causing the smell too, but I know nothing about that. My problem is that when I give it throttle it boggs down unless I release it a little, then at around 3k rpm's it takes off like I hit nitrous or something lol. Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

Cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor may help with your acceleration issue.

Have you verified the fuel filter hose clamps are secure? When filling your gas tank, do you stop at the first (auto-shut off) click or do you continue to top off? Topping off your gas tank allows excess raw fuel to enter the charcoal canister and permanently damages it.

Well, I replaced my fuel filter just now, and those hoses were a PITA to take off! Tore up one side with a set of pliers that I was using to twist em off, so ended up snipping off that half inch and putting the same hose back on. Still reached with plenty of slack. I'll be following this post for sure, since I'm pretty certain I'll need to replace that charcoal canister too. Good luck to ya That1Guy on getting this all figured out! Thanks for starting this post so that I could figure out more of what I needed to do!

Thanks for the reply! :D I also tried taking the fuel filter off with pliers messing it up, ended up having to cut it etc.. lol. But yeah, it's either the charcoal canister causing the smell, or this recall thing I saw on motortrend. Also I think it could be the fuel pump because of my really crappy acceleration and P0180 code but idk? I'll definitely keep this post updated, I'll also try to put some pictures of the work and stuff. Thanks, and take care!

here's a tool that makes removing fuel lines from filters a lot easier it;s made by Lisle and the part # is 47900,

it can also be used on some vacuum lines.

I'm sure snapon matco and mack all carry their own version