clunking while driving cant figure it out.

So my pathfinder numero dos has had an interesting problem since i bought it on the left side it has a suspension clunk when driving over bumps. So i took the old struts out blown kyb gr2 that were way past there prime wouldn't even decompress so i figured had to be the problem so i took the struts off my 01 which had 15k on them. Took a drive and now i have loud bangs on both sides. So i figure had to be strut mounts since i didn't replace those so i got all new strut mounts and coil springs seats insulator and now its a lot quieter and nothing on the right side anymore but the left still has the original clunk and cant figure it out for the life of me. Ball joints and sway bar end links look okay no torn boots or anything. SO any idea would be helpful im thinking maybe tie rod ends could this be the cause?

I'm thinking either ball joints, sway bar bushings, or steering rack bushings.

I have this same clunk (from the sounds of it) passengers side.

I have replace alot of what you did, same result, still have the clunk. it comes and goes, but for my rig its looking like the ball joint, i saw a small amount of grease on the passengers ball joint,(where the noise sounds like its coming from). but since i had just rebuilt the CV's when i found it, i wrote it off as grease from that .

I haven't been driving my pathy recently, but it wasn't there when i stopped. so i don't know what going on, im saving my money, because it looks like i might have to pay taxes, which suck, but if i don't i'm going to get new ball joints, and new O2's.

Also, have you check the rear suspension, perhaps a blown trail arm bushing could cause it? Just a thought, some times the noise is rather miss leading.

Keep me posted if you figure it out.

-Kyle

so the trailing arm look okay so im gonna go for sway bar links and ball joints there like 32 shipped for all four and i figure that my be worth it to keep the misses from driving my 01 r50 lol

• 2 weeks later...

The answer kids was the sway bar bracket bushing had to sit under my truck and have my friend rock it from back to forth i could visually see the sway bar banging againt the frame autozone doesn't carry the part and all energy bushing were to wide so the only way was the dealer i put it in and all is well with the 96

Good to hear you solved the problem.

Before I changed the bushings on the rack and pinion, I noticed that everytime I made a hard left turn, my steering wheel wouldn't align correctly(cocked to the left a little), but it would still drive straight. Only when I made a hard right would it align the right way.

Good to hear you solved the problem.

Before I changed the bushings on the rack and pinion, I noticed that everytime I made a hard left turn, my steering wheel wouldn't align correctly(cocked to the left a little), but it would still drive straight. Only when I made a hard right would it align the right way.

Yep, but my wheel stayed off key either direction. This is what I had left of my rack bushing.

The more complete one was the passenger side. You see what was left of the drivers side.

IMG_20130312_172013.jpg

Its funny how the bushings just disintegrates the way they do. I didn't even have a recognizable piece to compare the new bushing with. I notice that when I change my oil it dribbles on/near the bushing. Probably why the driver side is the issue over the passenger. Mine were the same. One good, one bad.

(I hope that since shoesandsocks solved his issue, its okay to hijack the thread.)