side step vs rock slider

N2mesnob

So I recently decided to finally take care of the surface rust on my (95' WD21) side steps and get them powder coated. Well looks like I should have left well enough alone. The driver side step turned out to be worst than first thought.
PART_1362179164334_zps80c4d2db.jpg
PART_1362179216050_zpsded5ecf5.jpg
PART_1362179289214_zps6570eef4.jpg
PART_1362179254686_zps565dc96c.jpg
It was rusted through and every time the wielder tried to patch it jus kept getting worst. So now I’m stuck trying to find a good OEM driver side step or a bolt on aftermarket rock sliders. I checked out Shrockworks and some other site that I found in doing my search but Shrockworks and the other site does not offer one for WD21. I check 4x4parts.com and Rugged Rocks also and no joy. I may have a lead on an OEM side step but I'm thinking rock sliders would be better especially if I was to get another side step I would still need to pay to get it powder coated.
So my question, is there anyone who knows where i can find a good set of bolt on rock sliders for my 95' WD21?

Not necessarly bolt on, but they could be with some brackets and drilling... Rugged Rocks carries some decent sliders for a good price, but they are actually for a Toyota IIRC. I believe these are it, but double check with Steevo as well! https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/6734-rock-sliders-by-trail-gear-p-6719.html?osCsid=70bqqephtvkrs3sqbbjr9tvmv7

Get the gusset kit as well for easier mounting. I have a set in my shed that I need to install once I get some other things taken care of. I was considering making connector inserts and using shoulder bolts, but I haven't proven that out yet.

B

I just had a local fab guy custom make me some and weld them straight on. I had him angle them out a little more than normal to use as a step to get to the roof, and if you're not planning on removing them anytime soon, it'll be cheaper to weld them on vs. a bolt on kit. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Thanks for all y'alls input guys I have some things to consider. I found this one guy who makes them out of "3/16" inner hitch steel" but he only makes them for 96' and up Pathy. I thought bout getting some made and powdercoated and trying to get a bunch of orders together to drop the price But i get the feeling that I am part of a rare group for what i want to do. lol

As a machinist, I have to ask what the hell 'inner hitch steel' is because I sure have never heard of it!

Is that sort of like 'top sirloin' when you slaughter a metal cow? :tongue:

B

• Like 3

As a machinist, I have to ask what the hell 'inner hitch steel' is because I sure have never heard of it!

Is that sort of like 'top sirloin' when you slaughter a metal cow? :tongue:

B

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sliders > step bars. Thicker material that actually protects the body rather than folding up into it. Even if you never plan to offroad the vehicle, the slider will be like a t-bone protection bumper. Especially if it is welded to the frame.