Oil Change DIY? First one today

I have an 04 SE, I changed my oil on my 02 BMW 330Ci but can't seem to find a DIY for the Pathfinder. The filter in my BMW was on top so I didn't ever fill it with oil before hand because it was a cartridge. Typical step one is the drain plug, then unscrew the filter but how much if any oil are you guys putting into the filter before you put it on? I have 6 quarts, how much oil do you give it from the filler cap? I'm not an idiot I'm just not familiar with the R50.

I'm pretty compulsive, but I don't go so far as to fill the oil filter with oil when I put it on. It fills instantly on the first start, so I think that step is a waste of time. If you want to do it, though, it can't hurt. Since mine starts at empty, there's no minimum, and since the thing fills completely when it's running, I'd say there's no maximum amount either. Just put in there however much you want without spilling, and call it a day.

Edited by Howie

Ok that solved that filter question, secondly though does anyone have any pics for drain plug location or are there any annoying snags of a pathfinder oil change? My BMW had a super annoying drain plug. How many quarts of oil do you add? 5? Or 5.5?

Assuming the R50 Pathfinder is just like the QX4, there's a shield under the front of the engine that hides the belts, oil filter, etc. You'll have to remove that, then you'll have direct visibility of everything you need.

Edited by fastpakr

Found it, all is well minus the fact that my dumb ass forgot to get a new drain plug and crush washer... I think I'm going to have to use the one I've got...

Prefilling the oil filter isn't necessary, but it does seem to lower the time that the oil pressure warning light is on for the first start after an oil change. Think about it, that air in the oil filter has to go somewhere before the filter fills with oil. It's certainly not required, but it doesn't hurt either.

On the VQ35DE, the oil filter is at an angle that allows one to fill the filter about halfway full before screwing it on. The filter's quite small, so be careful when filling it to avoid spilling much. I usually pour some in and let it soak into the media, then repeat until it's about half full, then install the filter.

VQ35DE engines have a 5 quart oil capacity.

Which oil and filter did you use?

• Like 1

lol yeah its not nearly as time consuming or pain as a bimmer u sholdnt have to replace the drain plug and crush washer every time mine doesn't even have said washer and i dont leak any oil i miss my bimmer days though paying for six and a half quarts of oil for a 2.5 with a 14 dollar filter for a crappy one. Still miss that car.

Assuming the R50 Pathfinder is just like the QX4, there's a shield under the front of the engine that hides the belts, oil filter, etc. You'll have to remove that, then you'll have direct visibility of everything you need.

X2

never changed my crush washer, doesnt leak !!!

As others have said, it's pretty much just the standard procedure.

If you have the manual to the car, there's actually a how-to in there with all the torque specs and capacities, it's been really handy for me.

So 5 qts is probably good. Just make sure to lube the seal on the oil filter with fresh oil before installing and only hand tighten. Usually only 1/4-1/2 turn after the seal contacts.

Found it, all is well minus the fact that my dumb ass forgot to get a new drain plug and crush washer... I think I'm going to have to use the one I've got...

Why would you replace the drain plug? That would be totally unnecessary. As for crush washers, it depends on the type, but I often reuse them and only change them when they are obviously deformed or compromised and none of my vehicles leak...

B

• Like 1

Why would you replace the drain plug? That would be totally unnecessary. As for crush washers, it depends on the type, but I often reuse them and only change them when they are obviously deformed or compromised and none of my vehicles leak...

B

x2 ... I thought this was the normal practice. Are we supposed to change the plug?

No, you don't need to change the drain plug unless it's leaking. I change the crush washer every time because a 10 pack of crush washers is cheap, and I don't want to deal with the hassle of a drip if a reused crush washer fails. The FSM also says to change it every time.

The oil capacity of the VQ35DE is 5.25 quarts for an oil and filter change, my mistake. However, I've always dumped in 5 quarts (plus whatever I prefill the filter with) and it's at the full mark of the dipstick.