LODD.....My nissan has died....

smoke

While crusing on the highway my insturment cluster started to talk to me and I mean every single light was flashing. There was a sudden loss of power and lot of noise coming from the motor. The motor stalled on me and I had to do a rooling nuetral start at 65mph. I managed to get to the shulder of the highway when she blew... Had a hole bigger than my fist above the oil pan, oil pan hanging off the motor and lots of shards of at least a piston or 2 and rod all over the ground with about 3 litres of oil.

Pix to come.

Yea it has sucked.... Im thinking the oil pump stopped working. maybe a combination of timing belt and/or oil pump. IDK....

were there no warning signs? odd noises? CEL? temp going way up? a few days of rough idle?

to just fail like that is scary.

hope you find a new engine to swap. don't crush a good vehicle. there are few of them left.

Sounds like you threw a rod. If the rod snapped at the piston end, it would rotate freely on the crank banging on the inside cylinder wall and eventually making its way to the oil pan which would explain the hole. Since there is no rod connected to the piston, the piston would have blown out of the cylinder and end up in the oil pan as well.

Post some pics for analysis.

Yes my guess would be you threw a rod I have done this in a chevy truck and pretty same results hole in oil pan motor blown it happens.Just change out motor if possible.Pathfinders are still a reliable vehicle dont be putt off by this internal combustion it happens to the best of us.KEEP ON TRUCKING PEACE.

• 3 weeks later...

dang, threw a rod. thats no good at all = \. did the same thing on a 305. clatter clatter. died. popped clutch at 60 to start it. clang clang. hole in the side of the block driver side just above oil pan. "root cause" old motor, and didn't have oil in it. so hopefully u didnt have an oil leak that went unchecked. but very sorry to hear it. On the bright side u have a "project truck now" if u can get u another daily =)