Got the AC springs but need to verify front vs back

stioc

Just want to verify that my thinking is correct identifying front vs. rear:

The rears should be straight round coils i.e. the same diameter top and bottom

The fronts should be flattened coils with larger diameter bottom and smaller diameter top.

AC sucks for shipping with no IDing info, no instructions, all four springs poorly thrown in a card board box that's falling apart and charging $85 for shipping :thumbsdown:

AC sucks for shipping with no IDing info, no instructions, all four springs poorly thrown in a card board box that's falling apart and charging $85 for shipping :thumbsdown:

:lol: Sounds about right. After looking at the shoddy packaging, I was happy they showed up at the same time.

Just want to verify that my thinking is correct identifying front vs. rear:

The rears should be straight round coils i.e. the same diameter top and bottom

The fronts should be flattened coils with larger diameter bottom and smaller diameter top.

Yes, you are correct on front vs back. I had the same issues when I got mine, there was no labeling, and the rear dampers were slid inside the fronts . . . which is what had me confused. I mean, why not put the shocks inside the rear coils for at least 'some sort' of identification? Oh well, I figured it out pretty quickly when I got the old struts out of the truck.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought and tore into it this morning. I just came inside the house for a quick lunch break. The rear is done and the front struts are out.

It's done!

I didn't get the NX4 spacers in time so I went ahead and used the OME spacers (3/8") in the front. I was really hoping the NX4 spacers would get here in time so I could use the longer bolts from it and be prepared for the spacers down the road but it wasn't meant to be. I couldn't wait because I have a trip to Death Valley coming up at the end of the month and between now and then I won't have too much time to do this. Since we'll also be passing through a couple of tougher sections of DV loaded down with 4-5 days of supplies a little extra ground clearance would be helpful.

Anyway, after having done this job twice in 6 mos I don't think I'll be ready to do it anytime soon again, hopefully never!

So measurements wise, as soon as I took it off the lift it was sitting at about 37" ground to the edge of the flares! After driving it a bit (and gently bouncing it several times using brakes and the dip in my driveway lol) it's sitting at 36" in the front and 35.5" in the back. This is how it should sit :wub: and I hope it doesn't settle more than .5" :blush:

3F243035-A2A7-45BA-ADB0-BDF78BBE86CB-924

7A9C4629-3C95-446B-8EC1-0B897236F4B9-924

C914A106-EBA1-46E3-AD17-2663BFABD431-924

04628223-9C7F-4F20-9B5B-12BD5CDF5230-924

Edited by stioc
  • Like 2

Thanks guys!

We'll see in a month or so how the ACs settle to do a true comparison with the OME MDs. I must say the OME MDs were a nice setup between ACs and stock. If I didn't want the extra clearance I would've left them alone for sure.

Abbie, I started at about 10am and was done by 2:30pm. Now I have a air tools and a hydraulic lift in my garage so makes things much easier and I've done this job before. On top of that I don't have sway bars either. So I'd plan on a full day and save yourself a potential injury and hassle bring your struts and springs to a shop and let them assemble them. Those little screw type spring compressors are like playing with a hand gernade with its pin pulled. For the OMEs my Craftsman heavy duty spring compressor worked OK but for the ACs they weren't enough. It's worth $50 to let a shop do it on their floor or wall mounted compressor. Good luck.

Oh and of course I have a bit of positive camber even with the camber bolts maxed out. I'm about 1.75degs positive on the driver side and 1.3degs positive on the passenger side according to my camber guage. I just eye balled the camber bolts when I slapped them on, I'll see if I can use paper as camber plates if not I'll bring it in for an alignement.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the compliments :friday:

I got the camber down to + .25degs, I couldn't do better- but it's a lot better than it was before. I'll probably leave it like this for a week or two and then go get the proper alignment done at the shop.

I also ran the air line for my rear ARB locker and bench tested it for the first time so another busy afternoon in the garage but more details and pics are in my build thread over at expedition portal.

Abbie, regarding sway bars, I don't talk about it much because it can be a liability issue. Having said that I know of lots of 4Runner owners that have taken them out. A couple of members here have had their's out for many years. That and the fact that with the stiffer springs, and the truck not being my daily driver I decided to take mine out. Yes the difference is noticable but *I*'m ok with it, for now. So I'd say decide for yourself (based on the terrain where you are, your use for the truck etc) and see if it's worth it to you.

I had my rear sway bar out for about ten months before I re-installed it. Just removing the rear was was way to awkward for me on the pavement. I wouldn't let my wife drive it until I replaced it. However, it flexed like a motha' on the trails!

Thanks Rick! Your Pathy is one of few that I've always liked.

• 31x10.5 tires correct?

245/75/16 so approx 30.4x9.6 - in reality they only measure 29.x with 35psi.

It's begging for 33s but a bit too much weight I think (my wheels/tires already weigh 60lbs each!). So probably 265/75/16s or 235/85/16s in the future.

Nice Ride... Well done.

It's done!

I didn't get the NX4 spacers in time so I went ahead and used the OME spacers (3/8") in the front. I was really hoping the NX4 spacers would get here in time so I could use the longer bolts from it and be prepared for the spacers down the road but it wasn't meant to be. I couldn't wait because I have a trip to Death Valley coming up at the end of the month and between now and then I won't have too much time to do this. Since we'll also be passing through a couple of tougher sections of DV loaded down with 4-5 days of supplies a little extra ground clearance would be helpful.

Anyway, after having done this job twice in 6 mos I don't think I'll be ready to do it anytime soon again, hopefully never!

So measurements wise, as soon as I took it off the lift it was sitting at about 37" ground to the edge of the flares! After driving it a bit (and gently bouncing it several times using brakes and the dip in my driveway lol) it's sitting at 36" in the front and 35.5" in the back. This is how it should sit :wub: and I hope it doesn't settle more than .5" :blush:

3F243035-A2A7-45BA-ADB0-BDF78BBE86CB-924

7A9C4629-3C95-446B-8EC1-0B897236F4B9-924

C914A106-EBA1-46E3-AD17-2663BFABD431-924

04628223-9C7F-4F20-9B5B-12BD5CDF5230-924

Ok so ride impression going from OME to AC springs. First reaction- what springs? :blush: they don't like to squish. If there's a dip, the wheels drop down like a sledgehammer which means the valving on the KYB struts isn't easily able to control the springs. They're not hurting anything yet just the ride isn't as nice as it was with the OMEs. I'm happy that I got an additional 1"+ out of them though.

Getting the alignment done today so we'll see if they can dial in a bit more negative camber or at least get it to 0 - I have one camber bolt on each side.