Interior Restoration on the Cheap!

tlgrimmy

Hello NPORA folks! I just picked up a 1995 Pathfinder in great mechanical shape for cheap, but the interior could use some help. I've got a cracked dash, stained cloth on all doors, and quite a few other unsightly blemishes. I've been researching for a bit here and would like to see what you guys have come up with. I'm looking for cheap options to renew the interior. We all know we can take it to an upholstery shop, but $1000+ isn't an option on a truck I got for $1200;). Not to mention, it's a 4x4 rig, so I'm not looking for a hot-rodded, leathered-up look, just a nice cleaned up utilitarian truck look. Here's a list of items I'd love to learn more about:

1. I'd really be interested to see if anybody has reupholstered / restored their own door panels.

2. Anybody do a custom interior out there?

2. How did you take care of your cracked dash?

3. How did you take care of your cracked vinyl armrests?

4. Anybody try painting the dash, console, and/or plastic trim (interior or exterior)?

5. This isn't interior, but anybody found a cheap source/means of replacing the exterior window trim (the rubber stuff)? At Nissan parts zone they want almost $500 total just for the rubber trim around all windows!!!!

Thanks

1. I think Stalker did his own with camo fabric. Turned out pretty nice if you're into camo fabric, looked pretty simple do do as well.

2. I've seen lots of interior swaps and a few custom consoles but no full custom interiors.

2.5 I haven't had any trouble with mine but you could always swap a new one in. Look for a 94-95 Pathfinder or 94-97 Hardbody pickup being parted out or in a junkyard... might be worth picking it up or shipping it from a more northern state. Southwest cars will probably have a cracked dash already.

3. Check junkyards or the for sale section on here, seems like the armrests are the first things to go.

4. Nunya's painted much of his dash pink, for reasons known only to him.

5. Talk to Rob (factory nissan parts thread), he can probably hook you up cheaper.

Also welcome! :) We like pics.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

I'll fill the gaps with silicone caulk before I pay $500 for that stuff.

I've been thinking about trying the same thing. Anything to get rid of the small wind noise I have.

Wait, you mean the main windshield? I've got a small hole in one of the rubber surrounds on my driver window. Clearly where my road noise comes from.

Edited by Trogdor636

Hello NPORA folks! I just picked up a 1995 Pathfinder in great mechanical shape for cheap, but the interior could use some help. I've got a cracked dash, stained cloth on all doors, and quite a few other unsightly blemishes. I've been researching for a bit here and would like to see what you guys have come up with. I'm looking for cheap options to renew the interior. We all know we can take it to an upholstery shop, but $1000+ isn't an option on a truck I got for $1200;). Not to mention, it's a 4x4 rig, so I'm not looking for a hot-rodded, leathered-up look, just a nice cleaned up utilitarian truck look. Here's a list of items I'd love to learn more about:

1. I'd really be interested to see if anybody has reupholstered / restored their own door panels.

2. Anybody do a custom interior out there?

2. How did you take care of your cracked dash?

3. How did you take care of your cracked vinyl armrests?

4. Anybody try painting the dash, console, and/or plastic trim (interior or exterior)?

5. This isn't interior, but anybody found a cheap source/means of replacing the exterior window trim (the rubber stuff)? At Nissan parts zone they want almost $500 total just for the rubber trim around all windows!!!!

Thanks

Howdy, congrats on scoring the pathy cheap!

#2) Best bet is to buy the parts used where ever you can (sometimes available here), go to a wrecker for it or buy a wrecked pathy, pick the parts you want and sell/ditch the rest.

#5) Nope, not cheap. I spent some time in a junkyard practicing removing those pieces for when I find a good set. I think I'll have to make a tool, but it's not hard for some bits and others will never come off in one piece. :shrug:

B

• Like 1

I grab any of the window trims off junkyard Pathys when they are good. I've had to replace mine about every 8 years. As for the interior, I redid a lot of my 88 Pathfinder's interior. I used TSP and cleaned the plastic parts, then used a plastic primer and paint on them. For the dash (it didn't have any cracks) I just used a vinyl paint. My door panels and headliner I recovered with black vinyl from the clearance rack at Jo Ann Fabrics. You can buy fabric/carpet cleaners at the parts store that do pretty good, my Frontier had all kinds of stains on the seats and floor and I got them all out with about an hour scrubbing.

Here is a pic of my 88 test fitting the door panel and right after the dash paint. (The wrinkles were fixed befor final install).

newdoorpanerl.jpg

• Like 1

Model paint, bedliner, and a lack of proper prep! :lol:

9d44d039.jpg

8752d4bb.jpg

e0088ea8.jpg

1b47e4d5.jpg

Serious though, scroll part outs (here and craigslist) and check your local yards for used stuff in useable replacement pieces :aok:

The shrink leather on the head liner panels was losing its stick and its near impossible to get those things to take shape again. I just sanded them down a bit and got some Rustoleum metallic gray spray pain and painted them up, looks freaking sweet! I'll get a pic up tomorrow

• 1 month later...

Wow! How frustrating. All of you guys took the time to respond and my email never tipped me off. Thanks to all of you and sorry for such a late response! I will read through these and post pics of what I've done so far soon. I ended up using DuPont's Vinyl & Fabric paint to redo the carpet, dash, and doors. I made a very unsuccessful attempt at repairing the dash crack, so a dashmat will be in my near future. I just installed a transmission gauge and finished up replacing a bunch of stuff (ball joints, cv axles, tie rod ends, end links, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, trans fluid and filter, front brakes and calipers, coolant, etc.) Thanks again and I will post pics soon!

Also, on a side note. I'm looking for a trailer hitch for mine. Anyone know of a good fit? I've seen some Reese, and Dura-somethin' models at various auto parts stores, but I want to make sure I find something that will actually fit. Couldn't find a thread on this yet.

Tim

Edited by tlgrimmy

Finally figured out a way to upload some photos! I actually didn't take as many before shots as I'd hoped, but I did make a video of it that really gives you a good idea of the shape the interior was in. Check it out here. I put a couple of before shots that I had first and the rest are the after shots.

20130309_103434_zpse133f88e.jpg

After cleaning the wheels in prep for wheel paint.

20130304_224506_zps7475f9d6.jpg

The nasty center console in all its glory!

20130305_174546_zps344063a6.jpg

Check out the gnarly carpet stains in the bottom left. The front seat carpet looked the same if not worse.

20130302_142923_zpsd820c1a7.jpg

A car mat pre paint.

Pathfinder001_zps75898b8e.jpg

Hard to see in the lighting, but nice clean look after the Vinyl & Fabric paint!

20130304_172534_zps3839536d.jpg

One of the rear doors before paint

Pathfinder003_zps6ae319ae.jpg

Same door after some DuPont's!

Pathfinder004_zpsbd0f47c2.jpg

Nasty carpet refreshed with paint! Should've dusted off the carpet before the pic, but you get the idea.

Pathfinder005_zpsc41e06bc.jpg

Gotta love what some cleaning and the DuPont's did to that console!

Pathfinder006_zps3adfe14b.jpg

Passenger front door after paint and a new (used) armrest.

Pathfinder009_zps669a041f.jpg

Painted the trunk too. Got lazy after the carpet and lower panel. Good pic for contrast though!

60f723b2-8b68-4c49-bbd2-a2e4b3d59c5d_zps

Here's a pic of the actual truck just for reference.

Pathfinder002_zps6f8d34c8.jpg

Just popped this GlowShift trans gauge in there yesterday.

Pathfinder012_zps6520fbd2.jpg

Derale makes this screw in plug adapter for temp senders. I had just done a trans service and didn't want to have to dismantle the exhaust again to get the pan all the way out. You still have to drop the pan to drill the hole, get the shavings out and tighten the plug, but it can hang on the exhaust there for that!;).

• Like 1

That looks really good! :aok:

Please let us know how durable the paint turns out to be...

B

Looking good! I didn't know carpets could be painted.

Thanks! I had no idea the carpet could be painted either and was blown away how well it worked. I've had the paint on for about a month now and the truck has been sitting out in the heat. I've scuffed my feet on the doors quite a few times and after cleaning the scuffs off with armor all, there weren't any signs that the paint was wearing off so far. I've vacuumed the carpets a couple of times too and no signs any of that rubbing off either. The nice thing is that this vinyl & fabric spray paint is only about $7 per can and it sprays on super easy with very little overspray. It would be really easy to touch it up on occasion when you scratch it really bad without even masking stuff off if you're careful. It has far less overspray than traditional spray paint and it dries almost instantly. The smell is pretty tame compared with others too. DuPont makes a paint for exterior plastic trim too that will renew the matte black or charcoal finish on parts like that (bumpers, grilles, side mirrors). I may have to give that a whirl next!

Edited by tlgrimmy

Simple Green solution in a bucket and a scrub brush, works real well. and use a wett dry vacume to vacume up the excess water. rinse a coulpe of times and vacume up again. This works great and is cheeper and smells better than any spot remover or carpet shampoo Ive tried.

Simple Green solution in a bucket and a scrub brush, works real well. and use a wett dry vacume to vacume up the excess water. rinse a coulpe of times and vacume up again. This works great and is cheeper and smells better than any spot remover or carpet shampoo Ive tried.

I'll have to give that a whirl as the carpets get bad again. I like the smell of simple green anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

How many cans did you use? Did you use the same color on everything?

I ended up using about 6-7 cans I think. They were about $7 each, so around $50 tops. Most of it went into the carpet!

• Like 1