Paint : What is the best way to repair a scratch and chipped paint?

jwblue

I bought the touch up marker pen from the dealership.

I guess the first step is to clean the area. Is a Chamois with dish washing liquid the best thing to use? Someone told me dish washing liquid is a no go because it removes the wax. True?

Are there any other tips?

Do I need a primer?

https://plus.google.com/photos/110666213700006124028/albums/5848291055441517713/5848291052808896530?authkey=CITXgaLVpKnDew

Edited by jwblue

Best way is to drive it through a bunch of tight trails so the whole trucks paint job is full of scratches, then it will blend in and look normal. Trucks are supposed to have scratches, silly!

And there's your answer! Over here we call them "Carolina pin stripes"

• Like 2

Haha, by the way, I wasn't trying to be a mean person. LOL. Honestly if you want to fix the scratches up, yes you want to clean the area with an abrasive soap to remove the waxy coatings and grime. Dishwashing liquid should be fine, then u can dab on the paint where you need it. Dab clear coat over top after if you want to go all out but it's not really necessary depending on how picky you are. Wax the area again after to coat it again.

Have you tried nu-finish scratch remover? If its just surface scratches, it will take them out quite well.

but..... really it is meant to have scratches ;)

If the damage is located on just one panel, and depending on how bad it is. You may be better off having the panel repainted. But for the touch up pen, you wanna make sure that the area is very clean or else it will rust underneath. You want all the wax off, I use dawn dish soap, it works great.

I can live with pinstripes as they are easily removed, but scratches/chips that go to the metal should be taken care of especially if you live in the rust belt.

Edited by adamzan

I like Dupont products as far as paint.

As far as removing marks I use 3m rubbing compound too get the wax off and smooth the clear.

Now you will need too re wax the car but I've had great luck with it. But that's only if its not too the color/base coat.

If its that deep its Dupont rattle can and clear coat with a few coats of wax too blend it. As far as it matching, I find that any over spray is more likely too be seen then the repair.

If your paints faded to much for the factory shade too match hit the new stuff with polish too lighten it.

Now you will need too re wax the car but I've had great luck with it. But that's only if its not too the color/base coat.

Can I rewax that one spot or do I need to rewax the entire car?

What is a good wax to use.

Edited by jwblue

Defiantly re-wax the entire car. It will end up clean and even "all over" with the UV and water resistant protection. As for which wax I'd recommend? Check out Griot's Garage. Fantastic polishes and waxes.

Defiantly ....

Defiantly? Really? I meant "definitely"

How many coats should I use?

However many it takes to get to the level of the rest of the paint?

After you touch up the paint, buy a clay bar kit. It will come with a bar of clay and a spray that will remove all surface blemishes as well as any existing wax. After you message the entire truck you will simply apply a coat of wax that will have an even shine.

After you touch up the paint, buy a clay bar kit. It will come with a bar of clay and a spray that will remove all surface blemishes as well as any existing wax. After you message the entire truck you will simply apply a coat of wax that will have an even shine.

I was not clear. How many coats of paint?

Do I need a primer? I read somewhere that if I see plastic it means I need primer.

Below are pictures.

https://plus.google.com/photos/110666213700006124028/albums/5848291055441517713/5848291052808896530?authkey=CITXgaLVpKnDew

Someone in another forum said the following:

That needs filler, primer, sand and paint

If I just use a paint pen with clear coat is there any risk of future rust damage?
That is what I am concerned about.

From the looks, no you do not need too fill it.

Priming is the best bet. And yes you can get paint pens with primer.

If its bare metal then yes theres a chance of rust with out primer.

If not then no, its not going too rust since the factory primer is still sealing it.