95 XE-V6 Exhaust Options & Other questions

enkrypt3d

About to buy a 95 XE-V6 and I know they're notorious for exhaust leaks... so what are my options for headers & cat back exhaust? Searching online I've found countless generic sites that don't show the actual product...

Also, this pathfinder I'm looking at takes a while to warm up and I'm guessing its the thermostat? I also noticed that the coolant overflow tank was almost empty.....Another issue is the tachometer sits at 8k and doesn't move... there's also a CEL which I'm hoping are minor issues to fix... is it worth it? Brakes seem to fade a bit so they might need to be replaced soon too..

This one has 218K on the clock and runs smooth... going to pick it up for $1200 so I figure its a good deal for a daily beater... Thanks for the help in advance! Thanks!

Edited by enkrypt3d

There's a thread around here somewhere on a low-priced Gibson exhaust system which looks pretty nice. I'll leave the header discussion to the people who've actually installed them.

Could very well be the thermostat. Do you know if it's had the timing belt done recently? If not get on it, these are interference. Most people do the cam seals/water pump/thermostat at the same time.

Tach failures are common, usually a bad connection behind them (in the cluster). I've never heard of one sticking though (usually they jump around). If you can't fix it you can find a new one in a junkyard, but since you have a 95 you'll need to find a 94 or 95 as a donor (round dash was only used those two years). 96 and 97 Hardbodies are also round dash but I dunno if the cluster is the same.

Check out the thread on checking codes from the computer and tell us what you've got, might be a simple fix.

Also we like pics around here. :)

I also own a 95 and its a good vehicle, tach jumping around is common leaking exhust to but easy fix.change timing belt asap and check code's.once the bugs are worked out you will find you have a very reliable daily driver.Good Luck and picture's would be nice as I am a pathfinder fan for life.

man I think I jinxed myself..... The seller sold the truck out from under me. if he had the title in hand, i'd be driving it around. does anyone know if anyones selling a 95 or older Pathfinder in SoCal? Really need to find something ASAP....... thanks guys!

Welcome to the club...in your neck of the woods there are always great finds that come up. I'm on the east coast and was considering shipping a few I found. Keep checking in California and Arizona on craigslist etc...there are a few sites that mash up all the listings so you don't have to search each site individually.

When you are checking out your finds you can tell pretty easily with a visual inspection to see if the exhaust manifold studs are coming off or even there...lol. Bring a flash light and look all the way down the exhaust system...they tend to also rot in the down pipe.

As far as headers...this in on my soon to do list. There are not too many options and for you in California with emission standards you should look into the Doug Thorley headers.

My only advice is try to find an SE instead of an XE...you get some more creature comforts and LSD in the rear. Check out this build for products you might be interested in.

http://www.motoiq.com/projects/nissan/project_nissan_pathfinder.aspx

Cheers

For smog I think Thorley is the only option....

Also, plenty of XE's have LSD. Just look for a little orange sticker on the rear pumpkin. SE's generally have rear disc brakes instead of drum, that's probably the main cool factor for a SE.

858307_10151527858247853_338027021_o.jpg

Here she is finally! I'm not sure if its an XE or SE how can I tell? Its a 95 4x4 3.0L runs good with 154K... needs new shocks and new brakes & an alignment and some cleaning on the inside but so far so good! :)

Anyone know where I can find the top part of the dash? Mine is all cracked... I dont want to get those cheese ball covers.... and any recommendations for shocks? What brand?

Edited by enkrypt3d

Probably a XE. SE's normally had sunroofs, interior was a little more "plush", Lego wheels with 31's, and they would have electronic adjustable suspension. I'm sure I'm missing something.

I'd say shocks depend on what you want to do and your budget. I only have experience with my Pro Comp 3000's. They are sort of the middle of the road for the Pro Comp line. I paid under 150 for all 4 + dust boots shipped from 4wheelparts.com. I'm extremely happy with them off road, but I dont have anything to really compare them to.

Your best bet for the dash pad is going to be a junkyard. I think you can still get them from a dealer, but they are $$$. You have the round dash which only came in 94-95 Pathfinders, but the good news is they also came in the Hardbody which they made 2 more years. Depending on where you live, I have a 95 in my local Pick N Pull right now that has a nice gray dash, and they sell the pad for like 27 bucks.

I'm highly jealous! I want a white Pathfinder..........trade you for my black one? :laugh:

hmm interesting.... it doesn't have the XE-V6 on the back gate oddly enough.

And for the orange sticker are you talking about the rear diff case?

Is it worth upgrading the drum brakes to disc brakes? Or leave it as is?

There is this switch right under the center arm rest with a red light on it and when I open and close the doors, it blinks... is that some sort of keyless system? Maybe its aftermarket...

I might just go with the beilsteins but cant decide on whch ones to get?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Shock-Absorbers.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306

All I want is a comfortable ride and to be able to take some bumps without feeling too harsh and unsettling the truck...

hmm interesting.... it doesn't have the XE-V6 on the back gate oddly enough.

And for the orange sticker are you talking about the rear diff case?

Is it worth upgrading the drum brakes to disc brakes? Or leave it as is?

There is this switch right under the center arm rest with a red light on it and when I open and close the doors, it blinks... is that some sort of keyless system? Maybe its aftermarket...

I've seen a few local Pathfinders not have the stickers on the hatch. Not suprising really.

Yea, look on the rear diff. The orange stickers normally outlive the rest of the vehicle somehow.

I cant really say, I've only had the discs. I think if you could get the parts cheap enough, it would be worth it.

How to thread here....http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/14532-h233b-rear-drum-brake-to-disc-brake-swap/

That is your factory alarm. There is a thread in the How to section in the garage to get it to work if it doesnt.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/19755-fix-your-keyless-entry/

If it works well, you can buy a remote off Ebay (15-30 bucks depending on which one you go with) and you'll have keyless entry. Lots of people hate the factory alarm, but mine works fine, and after replacing the brain itself my buddies works great as well. 25 dollar keyless works for me.

I might just go with the beilsteins but cant decide on whch ones to get?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Shock-Absorbers.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306

All I want is a comfortable ride and to be able to take some bumps without feeling too harsh and unsettling the truck...

I think any is a good choice. Not sure how many owners here have a set, but I know lots of other people with other brands of truck dont seem to complain much

Edited by Trogdor636

what is the difference between the $67 ones and the $76 ones?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Bilstein-Shocks-4600-series.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=BIL24-185080

they dont seem to vary much ......

The keyless locks works great and even makes the noise just not sure what that 3 position rocker switch does above the red light.......

Also looking at this to clean up the slop in the steering:

http://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=3&t=10&p=622&n=

How difficult is it to install this kit? I have an Acura NSX so I'm used to more precise steering .... I'm sure the mismatched tires dont help much *doh*

Another good choice for shocks is the rancho RS5000 series. I have them and they perform well on and offroad. They provide a smooth ride.

As for the disk vs drum brakes, I've owned a pathfinder with rear drum, and the one I have now has rear disk. I can honestly say I don't notice a difference except it cost more to maintain the rear disks and the parking brake is more complicated. My old one with drums the parts were very cheap and lasted forever.

The rocker switch is completely off, impact off, and impact on. You can adjust the impact settings on the brain, which is under the driver seat. That Calmini kit is nice, but I believe there is an issue if you ever need to replace the bushings. Most of the people who wheel heavily (that haven't gone SAS) install a better center link from http://grassroots4x4.com/

Im about to send a core in and buy one because I don't wheel that hard or much and mine (which was new 8 months ago) is starting to get sloppy.

• Like 1

The rocker switch is completely off, impact off, and impact on. You can adjust the impact settings on the brain, which is under the driver seat. That Calmini kit is nice, but I believe there is an issue if you ever need to replace the bushings. Most of the people who wheel heavily (that haven't gone SAS) install a better center link from http://grassroots4x4.com/

Im about to send a core in and buy one because I don't wheel that hard or much and mine (which was new 8 months ago) is starting to get sloppy.

Can you elaborate on the impact on impact off? what does that do? ...

I dont do much off roading but may do some see some snow if I go up to big bear this year... the tires aren't ready for that yet though...

Is it a PITA to upgrade the idler arm? Can this be done while swapping out the shocks?

Also I have an ABS light and the BRAKE lights on at the same time even though the parking brake is not engaged..... anything to worry about? Thanks everyone for your help!

Your factory alarm has a impact sensor. Off, the alarm is completely off, impact off only opening a door will trigger it, and impact on will mean you can bump it and it goes off.

Idler arm is pretty easy IMO. I had mine off to put an idler arm brace on without even taking the wheel off.

Check your brake fluid level. It may be low, and if that's not it, then you may need to bleed your brakes properly according to the FSM which there is a link to somewhere around here, check the garage.

Just ordered the Ranch RS5000 shocks hopefully that will improve the ride... right now when i go over humps the whole truck bounces 3 or 4 times haha...

Or should I cancel that and change to Pro Comp Suspension ES4000 Toxic ? I want more comfort and to be able to take some bumps w/o jumping around too much....

Edited by enkrypt3d

I think the Pro Comp Toxic shocks are geared more towards lowered vehicles. I think the Rancho 5000's are a fine choice, I just went with the Pro Comp 3000's because a few people said the Ranchos were really firm. Honestly on pavement my Pro Comps are pretty firm, but off road they are perfect. The Pro Comps being cheaper helped sway me that way as well.