catylic converter gutting

joejk1

i was thinking of gutting my cat on my 93 nissan pathfinder se vg30 engine.i know it sounds good when it is done with an air intake bcuz i did it on a toyota i had.the only thing that is holding me back is i dont know if it will throw off the o2 sensor or cause any other fuel air problems?if anybody knows can u help me out?

how would you by pass the cat? my cat smells like eggs and its really bad and if i can just bypass it vs. buying a new cat it might be cheaper... i heard they make test pipes in place of the cat... do they make one for the pathy? i dont have a welder so i cant make one and going to the shop would cost more then buying a cat, (magaflow cat = $60-$80)

Im saying this cause i want to buy the Gibson cat back exhaust and just bolt it in, and if there is a test pipe(or whatever its called) in place of the cat i can do this!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i think i may have just answered my own question!!!! lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONVERTER-TEST-PIPE-90-94-NISSAN-PICKUP-PATHFINDER-ALTIMA-MAXIMA-TESTPIPE-/390409780124?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item5ae63c7b9c&vxp=mtr

now they say this is 2.25 piping and the stock is 1 7/8th will this still work? or do i need and adapter? if i do need an adapter, wouldnt it shift everything off alil? would buying that gibson cat back still work? (as in just bolt right up?)

link to the cat back

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LG1OH6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I think the common method of 'gutting' a catastrophic perverter is to pull it out and stab it through the openings with a crowbar until the catalyst bits come out. Real low tech. Good luck getting it off the truck, it'll most likely be rusted in place.

And yeah, mine were pretty clogged up... got a new factory spec exhaust locally and it seemed to pick up a few horses. This may have been because it wasn't leaking nearly as much.

Also im gonna add this

http://performance.ourdealsrock.net/02product/converters/displaydirectfit.asp?directfit=22760

A direct fit cat for our truck only cost $108 free shipping... pretty much the same price everywhere... Thought it would leave a dent in my wallet but this doesn't seem like a bad price... for a straight bolt on

Why would you bother with gutting the cat when you can just go to Midas or it might be Meinike and get a high flow cat installed for like $80? Its legal, its free flow of exhaust and they do all the work!

gutting the cat will make your exhaust system not work as well, losing power. Because the exhaust gases will fill the chamber and not know where to go. And it'll make your truck sound like @!*%. get a HFC installed.

• Like 1