PSA: SUPERCHARGER FOR $400!

ferrariowner123

according to him its for a nissan xterra/frontier, and its looks very similar to what Nissan featured on the super charged models, but like trog said, it can be fitted to other VG models. iIs missing a few key pieces like the intake plenum and the lower intake manifold, because im fairly sure its different, but ive seen just the supercharger go for $400 on ebay, this includes the some of the elusive pulley's

IDK its a fairly good deal now that i think about it, but after sourcing the other parts, it might not be a good deal, but either way its rare for these to come up on the used market.

-Kyle

I say its a bum deal because all your getting is the charger. you still have to source the upper intake bowl, the lower intake manifold (it is different), the intake tube, the throttle body and the 3 support brackets for the intake tube. IF all that was included THEN it would be worth it IMO.

Sorry to rain on your parade but $400 for an incomplete part, you might spend up to a grand completing it and then another few hundred for tensioner pulleys accessory brackets and an ER a/c compressor which needs custom A/C lines to work with a pathy.

I happen to have all of the above except for the compressor and custom A/C lines.

Yes, I am close to supercharging.

P.S. I would not run the SC on a 3.0. the crank snout is smaller and adding an SC puts allot of load on it. Not to mention, if you use a 3.3 the ER crank pulley fits perfect and the larger snout is strong enough.

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 1

I say its a bum deal because all your getting is the charger. you still have to source the upper intake bowl, the lower intake manifold (it is different), the intake tube, the throttle body and the 3 support brackets for the intake tube. IF all that was included THEN it would be worth it IMO.

Sorry to rain on your parade but $400 for an incomplete part, you might spend up to a grand completing it and then another few hundred for tensioner pulleys accessory brackets and an ER a/c compressor which needs custom A/C lines to work with a pathy.

I happen to have all of the above except for the compressor and custom A/C lines.

Yes, I am close to supercharging.

P.S. I would not run the SC on a 3.0. the crank snout is smaller and adding an SC puts allot of load on it. Not to mention, if you use a 3.3 the ER crank pulley fits perfect and the larger snout is strong enough.

Yeah, maybe, i just remember seeing superchargers (just the super charger) go for $800 to $1000 on ebay. but thinking about it now, its probably not that great of a deal.

Oh well

-Kyle

Yeah, maybe, i just remember seeing superchargers (just the super charger) go for $800 to $1000 on ebay. but thinking about it now, its probably not that great of a deal.

Oh well

-Kyle

they go for allot but if you already have an VG33ER and your looking for a replacement because you are too dumb to service your own Eaton M62 you buy one of those allot of them also require a core charge.

I've seen a COMPLETE setup go for $2k

But I've also got my hands on complete ER minus A/C compressor for $500. Oddly, the heads milled and put on a NIB 3.3(10:1), the SC is sitting in a safe place and the ER block is gathering rust.

Edited by MY1PATH

they go for allot but if you already have an VG33ER and your looking for a replacement because you are too dumb to service your own Eaton M62 you buy one of those allot of them also require a core charge.

I've seen a COMPLETE setup go for $2k

But I've also got my hands on complete ER minus A/C compressor for $500. Oddly, the heads milled and put on a NIB 3.3(10:1), the SC is sitting in a safe place and the ER block is gathering rust.

Yeah, i get it now but $500 for an ER that seems really cheap, is that an average price? i've never looked into, but i always thought it be a bit more than that, but then again, a VG33ER is like $3000 from so put 100K of miles on it, i guess that makes sense.

But you just have a supercharger chilling? some future plans i take it?

-Kyle

Yeah, i get it now but $500 for an ER that seems really cheap, is that an average price? i've never looked into, but i always thought it be a bit more than that, but then again, a VG33ER is like $3000 from so put 100K of miles on it, i guess that makes sense.

But you just have a supercharger chilling? some future plans i take it?

-Kyle

Oh no, $500 is one hell of a deal! Too good of a deal to pass up. I was originally going to turn it. service the SC and sell the whole 'Kit" for $2k and use the money to build the block into a 10:1 3.3

Then I decided I wanted a toy and that if I found another deal that good I would turn that one. Then I found a NIB short block so that got turned into a long block quick and the ER block can get rebuilt for something bigger in the future.

Now that one in Phoenix Gilbert CL is a good deal but the stuffs all modified, no problem if it fits your plans and there are enough parts to make your intake work so all you need to source it the bet drive.

Edited by MY1PATH

Looks like the lower plenum is needed too, that bolt pattern looks way different than whats on my VG and it missing the factory inlet plenum

I've been tossing around the idea of calling him, probably get some money taken off due to the missing parts.

HMMMM

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

what I have, the ports on the intake bowl are round and maybe 1.3"
There are 3 rows of bolts to the lower intake and the center row is the same pattern and spacing as the NA lowers. Outside rows were added to support boost and belt torque.

It that it 3.3 it is massively modified, opening the bowl on an ER does not increase flow, it decreases boost response. (which is near instant with top mount Eaton blowers)

Looking closer, that does not look like what I have.

Im looking back on my salvage sites at wrecked Xterra's and frontiers.

Do you know if there is any major difference between getting a manual SC versus an Auto, according to alkorahil they make an auto and manual SC

I haven't got the slightest clue as to why they would be different though.

-Kyle

I don't know if this is any different but being a previous cobalt ss owner I know all supercharged cobalts used the eaton m62 sc. Which is the same supercharger as the xterra/frontiers. Don't know if there is any difference between the one from the cobalt Abd the one on the xterra but I know there both m62s. I have one sitting in my storage unit I might toss on the pathfinder if I can figure out exactly what's needed

I took a look at the FSM and it looks like there's a bypass regardless of transmission.

This system controls supercharged air according to the engine operating conditions. This control operation is accomplished through the ECM and the SCB valve control solenoid valve. When the solenoid valve is ON, the SCB valve shuts. Then intake air is lead to supercharger, and supercharged air is sent to the cylinder. When the solenoid valve is OFF, the SCB valve opens. Then intake
air is sent to the cylinder directly. When the ECM detects any of the following conditions, current does not flow through the solenoid valve.
Engine stopped
Engine starting
High-load, high-speed engine operation
Excessively low engine coolant temperature
Mass air flow sensor malfunction
Engine coolant temperature sensor malfunction
Throttle position sensor malfunction

I didn't find any mention of differences auto vs manual but then I didn't read the whole section.

I don't know if this is any different but being a previous cobalt ss owner I know all supercharged cobalts used the eaton m62 sc. Which is the same supercharger as the xterra/frontiers. Don't know if there is any difference between the one from the cobalt Abd the one on the xterra but I know there both m62s. I have one sitting in my storage unit I might toss on the pathfinder if I can figure out exactly what's needed

M62 Came in LOTS of cars but the castings usually vary greatly. The most common links are the twin screw rotors, bearings, gears, bushing drive to the snout and pulley interchange.

The castings, snouts, intake ducts mounting to lower manifolds and even the bypass valves vary per application.

That would be cool if the cobalt one happened to fit tho.

here you go,
http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/pts/3608759876.html
included the lower intake bowl. It will bolt to an NA and you can plug the extra holes or you could weld on (a very simple to make) adapter plate to the NA lower for the support of the extra holes. Its still missing the intake tube tho so not the greatest deal.

IMO unless it comes with the bowl and intake tube its not really worth it because those are the hardest parts to find by themselves.
Now if your deleting all your idle controls for an old school throttle stop of a hole in the throttle plate to set your idle then an intake tube becomes very easy to make.

Edited by MY1PATH