is the 1999.0 worth it?

abbie

Hey guys i have a 99.0 chilkoot and want to start modifying it but i notice that most people have chosen the next version of the r50, wondering if there are some opinions on whether i should stick with it or try to find an 01 or newer. pros and cons? keep in mind I got a fairly good deal on the 99 but it has 196000 kms on it. My main goals are to lift (krypton), lock the rear, winch on the front(some type of bush bumper)

How much would you be willing to spend to get the newer vehicle? I'm contemplating selling my '01 with 148,000 miles on it. I've had it since new, never missed an oil change, and it runs like the day I got it.

Hey abbie, I'm selling it because I needed a stronger towing vehicle. Because I have the manual transmission, tow capacity is rated to only 3500 pounds. I need to tow a 6000 lb car and trailer. I was originally going to keep the Pathfinder because I love it so much, and have taken awesome care of it, that I really don't think anyone will pay me what I think it's worth. But I'd sell it to someone on this forum, because I know it will go to a good home, and guys on here really appreciate the truck for what it's worth.

Anyway, aside from the aluminum Nissan brush guard, I also have OME coil springs all around (which weren't installed when my sig picture was taken), as well as KYB struts and shocks (Gas-a-just in the rear). There are also Warn hubs. I've replaced the front right drive axle due to a leaking CV boot, but then I replaced the boot on that axle and so now have the OEM axle as a spare. I've replaced the MAF sensor, and replaced one O2 sensor, and both VTC sensors. I also installed an aftermarket third row seat, which is removable, and is great for seating a couple extra kids. When you're not using it, the seat is removable, leaving no trace except a couple steel plates under the carpet in the cargo area that it bolts on to. I also replaced the fuel filter a while back. The car runs great, doesn't burn oil at all.

Anyway, I'm waiting to wash and detail it so I can take really good pictures. I'll list it on eBay, and post a link to it on this forum. But like I said, I'm really not too eager to sell it because it's been my baby for 11 years, and I got it and cared for it since 6 miles on the odometer. Only you guys on this forum would appreciate the care that I've taken of it!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Towncivilian" data-cid="654290" data-time="1360614914"><p>

01+ also got a heavier duty automatic transmission variant to back the more powerful engine.</p></blockquote>

Wait they changed the transmission? Did the towing payload go up with it?

-Kyle

I think it's the same but 4500 for the manual, I'll go home and look in my manuals, see what the rest recommendation's are.

Does anyone know what determines payload? Engine and trans aside. What's anyone's guess at chassis towing payload? Out of pure curiosity.

-Kyle

The manual can tow 3500 pounds. I don't think the manual received any upgrades to back the larger engine, but I'm not completely certain. Manual R50s with VQ35DEs lack the power valves and engine oil cooler that the auto variant has, but other than that I believe they are identical.

For in-depth differences of the HD trans upgrade, see here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/25568-re4r01a-hd-transmission-information/

Not sure how towing capacity is determined, sorry.

I think it's the same but 4500 for the manual, I'll go home and look in my manuals, see what the rest recommendation's are.

Does anyone know what determines payload? Engine and trans aside. What's anyone's guess at chassis towing payload? Out of pure curiosity.

-Kyle

Kyle, by "payload" you mean how much you can put in the cargo area of your truck, or how much you can put on the trailer? Two different things

The manual can tow 3500 pounds. I don't think the manual received any upgrades to back the larger engine, but I'm not completely certain. Manual R50s with VQ35DEs lack the power valves and engine oil cooler that the auto variant has, but other than that I believe they are identical.

For in-depth differences of the HD trans upgrade, see here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/25568-re4r01a-hd-transmission-information/

Not sure how towing capacity is determined, sorry.

Okay, thanks for the help, its because of the clutch would be able to support the weight over a torque converter? thats what my thinking is.

thanks though for the info

-Kyle

Kyle, by "payload" you mean how much you can put in the cargo area of your truck, or how much you can put on the trailer? Two different things

:doh: Brain fart, i meant how much you can put on the hitch, so towing capacity.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123