Hydrogen Kits...

HappyCarGuy

Hola friends!

Has anyone read/heard anything regarding Hydrogen kits? I'm thinking of putting one in my Pathy to give it a little boost and help with fuel economy. I'm very skeptical about these because I've read mixed reviews. My instructor said he helped his friend install one, and his friend boasts 95mpg's on his little Accord. That seems a bit far-fetched to me, but oh well. From what I've read on the internet, they're not all that they're cracked up to be, but I'd like to hear if any of you have tried them on Pathfinders.

Here's what my instructor recommended:

http://www.hydrogen-generators-usa.com/hydrogen_car_kit.html

From what I have found, they will work turbos and superchargers (I hope to eventually use a supercharger...).

These sound a bit too good to be true. Thoughts?

Well, technically it is not hydrogen that is being generated, but Brown's gas, or HHO. It has been known of for 200 years, if it worked, it would already be in use. I'd say any gains would be due to the chip they want you to buy.

This basically says it...

The most common and decisive counter-argument against producing this gas on-board to use as a fuel or fuel additive is that the energy required to split water molecules exceeds the energy recouped by burning it.[16][4] Additionally, the number of liters per minute of gas that can be produced for on-demand consumption through electrolysis is very small in comparison to the liters per minute consumed by an internal combustion engine.[17]

They claim 2lpm production, and if your motor is running at 100 cfm (not much at all) that equals 2800LMP, meaning the Brown's gas would be diluted with air in a ratio of 1:1400. Your farts are more flammable than that... ;)

B

I wonder if farm equipment could be run from cow farts. :lol:

The only way a hydrogen kit could improve efficiency would be if it somehow made the gas burn more cleanly, and if it could do that, I suspect it'd be used more widely. Wikipedia talks about its use in cars in 'Fringe Science and Fraud,' and apparently Popular Science tested the things and found them to do pretty much nothing. The computer chip probably does more than the gas, but I still doubt 94 mpg, unless the guy's drafting semi trucks, turning off his engine on grades and at stoplights, taping up his door gaps, riding on overinflated bike tires, and only driving when he has a tail wind. Even then I'd suspect that his odometer was malfunctioning.

Reminds me of the recent thread with the kid who insisted his truck got thirty some MPG because of his super special chip job and ring/pinion. :rolleyes:

Well, technically it is not hydrogen that is being generated, but Brown's gas, or HHO. It has been known of for 200 years, if it worked, it would already be in use. I'd say any gains would be due to the chip they want you to buy.

This basically says it...

They claim 2lpm production, and if your motor is running at 100 cfm (not much at all) that equals 2800LMP, meaning the Brown's gas would be diluted with air in a ratio of 1:1400. Your farts are more flammable than that... ;)

B

LOL same problem they are having with fusion power the past 30+ years. It requires more electricity to sustaint he reaction then is produced...but they are working on that.

As said here, if it worked the manufacturers would be using it already.

I must say the whole dented hood thing is/was hilarious as hell!!!!

Why is it that people can use the internet to find the quick fix, but don't spend the time to do the real analytical research that would quickly tell you its bunk.

Why is it that people...

There, that is all that really needs to said, followed by whatever context.

In all fairness though, I don't have any issue with trying things yourself to learn something unless it is downright stupid or dangerous. I can read up all i want, but past a certain point, I won't learn any more until I actually do it. :shrug:

On the other hand, I consider the internet my portal to the library of Congress and more. I just have to sort the information from the BS...

B

Sorry for not looking at the some of the other threads. I searched for threads regarding hydrogen but couldn't find any results. I promise I wasn't trying to make a double post! :shrug: I'm new to this forum, so it's taking some time to learn how everything works here. Thanks for bearing with me, though!

The main reason I posted this thread was to see if there were any personal accounts of them working/not working. I've already done research about how they work, online - like I said, I came up with mixed theories.

I think it's time to just wing it and see if they work. If they don't, no biggie. If they do, go me.

Thanks again, gents. And like I said, I didn't intentionally double-post.