Engine Power Mode / ET-Auto Power

jwblue

it sure is effective. When i get stuck in 4 wheel drive i turn it on for that extra power and it helps. Now on the streets in town i have no idea.

It is supposed to give more power when passing as well.

I know it was standard on the LE.

Did it come with the SE off road package?

I have seen it with the XE as well.

Mine's got it. And yeah, it just makes it shift later. I use it sometimes but I'm not sure what it does for my gas mileage... maybe I should do an experiment, run a tank with/without and compare mileage. Too many other variables to get a good read on it though.

It is a hell of a lot easier on your transmission when towing as well.

This is counter intuitive to me.

If the engine runs at higher RPMs, isn't it taxing it more?

If it is easier on the transmission when towing, would it also be the case when going up a hill?

I would imagine it's easier on it because the gearing (engine to wheels) is generally lower in power mode, so the torque convertor doesn't have to work as hard, so the fluid doesn't heat up as much. And yeah, it would probably help on hills too.

Nismo, what's this rail shifter of which you speak?

Edited by Slartibartfast

I would imagine it's easier on it because the gearing (engine to wheels) is generally lower in power mode, so the torque convertor doesn't have to work as hard, so the fluid doesn't heat up as much. And yeah, it would probably help on hills too.

Nismo, what's this rail shifter of which you speak?

The Rail shifter is awesome it allows you to throw a switch and run on the rail, manually control the gears start out in any gear you want and it will never go to fail safe in the rail shifter then when you are done wheeling you simply shut of the rig flip the switch and fire it up and you back in the factory shifting! I also run the rock shifter as well so I can rock my rig like it were a 5spd. Check them out and give Rory a call

http://radesignsproducts.com/Rail.html

you can see them installed in my pathy on my youtube page at

• Like 2

I use it for passing on the highway. If I have to pass I just push the power switch and step on it. It's very effective although using the power mode vs turning off overdrive is really a moot point. The only difference is that the power mode lets me rev higher before up-shifting. In short it does work and it's especially fun if you have a custom exhaust set up. You will lose fuel faster than a top fuel dragster though. :lol:

I use it for passing on the highway. If I have to pass I just push the power switch and step on it. It's very effective although using the power mode vs turning off overdrive is really a moot point. The only difference is that the power mode lets me rev higher before up-shifting. In short it does work and it's especially fun if you have a custom exhaust set up. You will lose fuel faster than a top fuel dragster though. :lol:

Lol the ole power mode does suck the fuel down but must agree on the custom exhaust setup and high rpm its fun

The Rail shifter is awesome it allows you to throw a switch and run on the rail, manually control the gears start out in any gear you want and it will never go to fail safe in the rail shifter then when you are done wheeling you simply shut of the rig flip the switch and fire it up and you back in the factory shifting! I also run the rock shifter as well so I can rock my rig like it were a 5spd. Check them out and give Rory a call

http://radesignsproducts.com/Rail.html

you can see them installed in my pathy on my youtube page at

I love this mod but does it confuse the transmission computer?

I do not like how when i am in Power mode, in my 95 SE, it would like it to shift before the red line mark, it always makes me nervous being by the red line

WHOA DUDE!

I mean my 95 used to shift pretty high on power mode but I doubt I got much past 5k rpms. Just keep power mode off and when you need it just double tap the gas and it turns on temporarily.

My "power switch" is moving the stick from 5th to 3rd... Nice little kick! :lol:

Lol thats what i do in my hardbody but i do love me an automatic i been debating an auto swap just using the rock and rail shifters from radesignsproducts

WHOA DUDE!

I mean my 95 used to shift pretty high on power mode but I doubt I got much past 5k rpms. Just keep power mode off and when you need it just double tap the gas and it turns on temporarily.

I have found if i let off it will shift but it seems to like them high R's and i do not, dont need it to pop lol, Though i would like to put a 3.3L in my truck