This is gonna get a little OT

dynomax

Off topic, not overtime ;)

Few comments, some pathfinder related, and some not...

What is nissan thinking with the new pathfinder? Well, I always wondered why they had the xterra and the pathfinder. Now they seem to have the xterra, and moved the pathfinder over to sit somewhere with the murano, rogue.. .but wait, why do they have the juke in there too? 4 vehicles that seem real similar with one body on frame on the otherside that people can really play with seems a little uneven!

Funny thing is, most of the rigs we have here were likely bought as a mall crawler, then hit the used market and started getting used for more than that..

Seems to be a weird path nissan is heading down... kindda like why the heck did Ford have an Explorer that moved away from its ranger roots, Sportrac, Ranger... seems they could have kept the explorer with the same platform as the ranger, and just brought the 4-door model they sold in mexico to north america..

so what is the replacement for the pathfinder... are you guys going down the xterra road next, or is your next step the r51 pathfinder...

OK, another question, howcome there is no updates on the Nissan Titan with the cummins 2.8L diesel in it??? I see 5 or so websites and blogs on it, but no new news... is this project still moving forward or what?

Edited by dynomax

Juke is Subcompact- CUV
Rogue is Compact - CUV

Murano is Midsize (Big Midsize, but only 5 seats) -CUV

Xterra is Midsize - Truck - (5 Seats, real 4wd)

new Pathfinder is big Midsize (7 seats) - CUV

Armada is fullsize - Truck

The differentiation on size is definitely there - Really with this product line you can do whatever you want to do and Nissan will want have a product for you....except potentially a compact 4x4er....but who wants those any more (xtrail).

Want a small car, but a little taller? Juke! - Need it in AWD for snow? No Problem!

Want a small SUV so you can fit a kid or two - Rogue! - Need it in AWD for snow? No Problem!

Want a medium SUV (older couple) - Murano! - Need it in AWD for snow? No Problem!

Wan a medium SUV that can offroad - Xterra! - Need it in 4wd to do some trails? its got it!

Want a little bigger SUV that can handle the kids and grand kids? - Pathfinder! - Need it in AWD for snow? No Problem!

Want something that can handle the kids, grand kids, and tow the boat? - Armada! - Need it in 4wd to do some trails? its got it!

Its segmented perfectly!

Edited by Inyourface1650

Juke is Subcompact- CUV

Rogue is Compact - CUV

Murano is Midsize (Big Midsize, but only 5 seats) -CUV

Xterra is Midsize - Truck - (5 Seats, real 4wd)

new Pathfinder is big Midsize (7 seats) - CUV

Armada is fullsize - Truck

I see what you did there, but it's still not the direction I would go if I were running Nissan. The obsession with CUVs currently is not to my liking. But what do I know, I don't run a multi-billion dollar company.

I see what you did there, but it's still not the direction I would go if I were running Nissan. The obsession with CUVs currently is not to my liking. But what do I know, I don't run a multi-billion dollar company.

I was fueling up tonight, and a new subaru forester, first thing i thought was, oh that looks like the new Pathfinder... about half as tall as mine, and twice as girly! :)

• Like 2

LOL yeah, the new Pathy looks like a Scooby or a Mazda or a Ford or any of the other beige bastard children of the SUV era. I guess people wanted the bloat of an SUV with the capability/economy of a car, so boom... the crossover.

Who knows, maybe they'll have a cult following in fifteen years or so.

:lol:

the way the market is going with everyone driving station wagons (cross over sounds better) the question to be asked is what will the off road world look like in 10 years....there might still be a few "Yotas" kickin around but I think most of us will be driving Heaps :suicide:. They are the only company at this time producing an off road worthy vehicle straight from factory with no to minimal modifications.(the wrangler)

now that the coffee is kicking in I suppose we might be driving one of the domestic 4door pickup types, though they've always felt to big for my taste.

On a side note I saw a decked out Chevy Tahoe yesterday with what looked like a 6 inch lift and 20 inch wheels with off roady looking tires. The dam thing was so tall the dudes wife needed a stepping stool to get in. the funny thing was that the rear axle didn't have any more clearance than my unmodified R50. What a joke.

I feel the OP's point. I hate car-based SUV's with a passion, because they are station wagons with poor(er) gas mileage. But unlike some, I actually LIKE a true station wagon. I'd love to get an Audi S-Line A8 wagon with the 4.2 V8, quattro, and a six-speed stick. I could put azaleas in the back and then go hit the Nurburgring, are you kidding? :bounce:

I hate to think that the actual "Utility" vehicles might be disappearing. But, as always, the actual demand for them is not enough to support large investment from a major auto maker. And also, the car industry is cyclic. If they go away, they will come back, albeit in a slightly different form - like CUV's being a reincarnation of the Estate Wagons of the late 60's and 70's.

• Like 1

the way the market is going with everyone driving station wagons (cross over sounds better) the question to be asked is what will the off road world look like in 10 years....

I fully plan to still be driving the Pathy in 10 years . . . provided I can fix everything that I inevitably will break.

I feel the OP's point. I hate car-based SUV's with a passion, because they are station wagons with poor(er) gas mileage. But unlike some, I actually LIKE a true station wagon. I'd love to get an Audi S-Line A8 wagon with the 4.2 V8, quattro, and a six-speed stick. I could put azaleas in the back and then go hit the Nurburgring, are you kidding? :bounce:

I hate to think that the actual "Utility" vehicles might be disappearing. But, as always, the actual demand for them is not enough to support large investment from a major auto maker. And also, the car industry is cyclic. If they go away, they will come back, albeit in a slightly different form - like CUV's being a reincarnation of the Estate Wagons of the late 60's and 70's.

I do like the looks of the dodge magnum wagon. theres one around here with about 20" tires on it, SRT with the hemi, all blacked out, and exhaust, sounds awesome, and looks like it works pretty good.

I am not going to be buying one any time soon, but its a pretty cool family wagon... more cool than my wifes honda accord ;P

I think Dodge had lightning in a bottle with the Magnum, but didn't really know what to do with it. The car had clean lines, muscular haunches. . . like a Dodge interpretation of an Audi wagon. I just love a stick shift and it wasn't offered in the Magnum or the Charger, or else I likely would have bought one. By pushing marketing for the Magnum I think Dodge could have done a lot to roll back the tide of CUV vehicles trashing up the streets now a days by taking away the stigma of "station wagon."

A guy that used to live near my old church had a black SRT Magnum, too. Man that thing was clean, with the 6.1L Hemi and gunmetal rims. :wub:

Oh, and for lulz, my sister-in-law drove one of those Ford Freestyles for several years. That thing is as station-wagon as station wagon gets, and she would YELL at me when I called it that. "No, it's an SUV!!" Ironically, though, it did count as an SUV for insurance and registration purposes; it had a Louisiana plate with the truck designation. (A letter followed by six numerals and no spaces) Maybe paying more for registration and insurance makes a person feel better about driving a dowdy wagon - kinda like having all-wheel drive makes a Subaru Outback a "utility" vehicle?

for that matter, I wonder if insurance would consider an SRT Magnum a sports car, or a family sedan? :shrug:

I think Dodge had lightning in a bottle with the Magnum, but didn't really know what to do with it. The car had clean lines, muscular haunches. . . like a Dodge interpretation of an Audi wagon. I just love a stick shift and it wasn't offered in the Magnum or the Charger, or else I likely would have bought one. By pushing marketing for the Magnum I think Dodge could have done a lot to roll back the tide of CUV vehicles trashing up the streets now a days by taking away the stigma of "station wagon."

A guy that used to live near my old church had a black SRT Magnum, too. Man that thing was clean, with the 6.1L Hemi and gunmetal rims. :wub:

Oh, and for lulz, my sister-in-law drove one of those Ford Freestyles for several years. That thing is as station-wagon as station wagon gets, and she would YELL at me when I called it that. "No, it's an SUV!!" Ironically, though, it did count as an SUV for insurance and registration purposes; it had a Louisiana plate with the truck designation. (A letter followed by six numerals and no spaces) Maybe paying more for registration and insurance makes a person feel better about driving a dowdy wagon - kinda like having all-wheel drive makes a Subaru Outback a "utility" vehicle?

for that matter, I wonder if insurance would consider an SRT Magnum a sports car, or a family sedan? :shrug:

I call it a wagon! a mighty nice wagon! I wonder what a pontiac G8 wagon would have looked like?!