speaker replacing?

Balln

Hey guys I searched and couldnt find any awnsers. So far only my pas side door speaker works and the driver side pops on every now and then. The rears crackle and POP. I have a buddy that can get me all new speakers for it at a price I can't pass up but I'm not sure what sizes to give him. Any help there would be greatly appreciated. And by replacing them should fix her up right? Or is there a common issue with the stock amp that I need to look into? Seen some of those topics when i was searching. I'm still running the stock tape cosset lol.

Not really sure exactly what your problem could be, when i got my 95 the stock stereo didn't work so i replaced that within a week. I also remember reading that the clarion 'active sound' or whatever system (4 speakers, 4 tweeters) had a terrible amp, so i followed this guide and bypassed it.

http://tech.240sxone.com/94/s14-how-to-build-an-amp-bypassdelete-harness/

Stock speaker membrane material was all dried out or nonexistent, so i put kicker speakers all around when i got the money. If you go to crutchfield.com it will tell you pretty accurately what fits and what requires modifications to fit, so maybe give that a shot.

If you do have the clarion amp and want to bypass it but keep your tweeters youll have to install passive crossovers (providing that you dont install a better amp, which is definitely the way to go if you have the money). I recently did the passive crossovers and could post some pics/info if you want just let me know

I installed 4 Rockford Fosgate 5"x7" (stock size) speakers in my truck and they rock hard and sound great. I got the 2 pair from Car Toys for like $70 per pair. Since I'm a mutant with 4 arms the rear speakers were a cinch, just pop out the cover screens with a flat head screw driver and remove the 4 screws holding the speaker in, disconnect the wires, which for me was a matter of unplugging them from the stock speakers. For the new speakers however, I did have to cut the plug off and strip the wire back, paying attention to pos and neg, soldered the wires to the new speakers.

The hard part *(unless you have 4 arms, or a buddy, and I actually did this by myself and with only my normal old God given two arm setup :( )* is mounting the new speakers. The old screws aren't long enough for the new speaks so you have to use the little black clip and screw system they give you for mounting hardware. This entails holding the clip in place while putting the screw through the speaker, and screw into the clip while holding the 2 pound speaker above your head. It's a pain in the you know what. Once your done with the rear you can go take a nap. The front speaks removal / install is at once easier and harder than the rear.

Read this, it's what got me through my front door speaker install: http://www.ehow.com/how_7230725_speaker-installation-1995-nissan-pathfinder.html

Warning: Even though these are a great improvement over the stock speakers, the stock amp plus my 45 watt per channel Kenwood pushes them beyond the nice range (and that is REALLY LOUD) and a few times I have already considered going bigger and better, or maybe just better and same size, I've contemplated putting 6x9s in the rear for a little more power. My point is even though you'll be looking at a 200 watt speaker and you get them installed, you'll crank em up and up and up and then you'll start to feel like your falling just a few feet short of the finish line, ran the whole race and then tripped at the end. I wonder if I should have gotten the $99 a pair Infinity 5x7s instead of the $69 a pair. This being the pain in the "A" that it is just make sure you go big enough to keep you happy when you buy your new speakers.

I have 6.5" in my front doors (94), they fit fine, you will need to drill new holes to mount them but it is easy. No speakers in the rear so can't help there. I took pics of the door openings and they are in this thread:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/175-installing-an-aftermarket-stereo/page-5?do=findComment&comment=652377

I put 6x8s IIRC in my front doors when the factory speakers crapped out. My dad and I had to cut part of the plastic bracketry out. They're Boss Audio (cheap Radioshack sort of deal, $32 for the set IIRC) but they sound pretty good to me, and I'll probably get more when the rears go.

I didn't have any of the crackling you mention when my speakers died. (It did make a wub-wub-wub sound that freaked me out a little until I realized it wasn't coming from the front suspension.) Your crackling may be from loose wires, the cassette deck crapping out, or a problem with the amps. Most people just bypass the amps when they put in a new head unit, or run whole new wires. I haven't gotten around to bypassing mine so I've got a little hiss and the volume gets loud quick.

Keep in mind that different year Pathfinders had different door cards and different front speakers. Some have round speakers and some have rectangular speakers. I thought it was by year but now that I'm looking around, I don't know.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I just installed theses in my front doors...

dec26th029_zps4224e38e.jpg

Before and after...

dec26th028_zps605f419e.jpg

And in the door...

dec26th031_zps54bdfaca.jpg

Only modification was bending the tabs on each end of the speaker so the door panel fit correctly. The speakers were from Crutchfield and came with the wiring adapters.

I actually wonder if it is possible to put round speakers in the door. More cone surface area is theoretically capable of producing more bass.

Funny you should ask! I just ran across this earlier today when replying in my original post up above: http://compare.ebay.com/like/310351564359?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

BOOM SHAKALAKA!

Also found this too but I'm not the type to mess with it, I wouldn't want to have to cut the upholstery and all of that yada whatever but I know some of you guys do:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/230593173196?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Edited by gv280z
  • Like 1

I actually wonder if it is possible to put round speakers in the door. More cone surface area is theoretically capable of producing more bass.

Ahardbody said he had 6.5 in his doors, so I'm assuming his are round.

• Like 1

The first link looks great. Extra bit of bass is just what it is needed in the doors.

I also have one of those speaker brackets but could not do a retrofit because there is one thing missing. There is actually a cross member that mounts to the roof that holds one side of the bracket.

I used Polk audio all around. Rounds up front ( don't remember size) and 6x9s in the rear. Just changing out the fronts alone made a huge difference. It took me a while to get around to doing the rear ones since had to modify the speaker support to get them to fit. Still running factory Amp and HeadUnit. Personally, I think it sounds better than my 08 Tahoe. :shrug:

I'm only running the front coaxial's and a 12" sub in a sealed box in the rear, Alpine 4 ch amp running in 3 ch mode (50 x 2 front, 150 x 1 sub), sounds pretty good, could use a better crossover, and I threw an Alpine 11 band EQ in that I had laying around, headunit is 94 era Alpine CD that a co-worker gave me after I installed a newer on in his gf's truck.

I put in a set of 5x7's and they had little plastic spacers so the magnet could clear, and everything fits ok, in the doors. the spacers ended up being around 1/4 - 1/3 inch thick so it brought the speaker out some and prevented modifications

I replaced all 4 speakers with Polk Audio 5x7's. I bypassed all the stock speaker wire and amps and ran all new wire. With a Pioneer 4400hd head unit and a MTX 150 watt amp pushing a 10 inch audio phonics single sub in a box I built. Crystal clear sound and good bass

Is the shape of the cone really important enough that you'd get better sound from a smaller speaker?

You bet. More cone surface area means more bass. They only come in ovals for space optimization and nothing else. Studio speakers are always round, never oval.

• 1 year later...

Im curious as to how you guys re getting 5x7's in the front doors because when i picked up some 5x7's they wouldnt fit at all. Not even close.

the stock speakers in the front doors were 5x7's, but the trucks came with a plastic adapter that the speaker sits in, if the truck does not have the adapter than a 5x7 will not fit right, on my 94 I used to have I took the adapters out and used 6.5" speakers, they fit fine, you just have to keep an eye on the depth of the speaker so it doesn't hit the glass, and you have to make new mounting holes, not a big deal, if you do use 6.5's ( or 6 3/4"), hold the speaker up to the door and mark the holes, pre-drill the holes with out the speaker than mount it, being careful not to slip and take out the cone with the screwdriver. Some pics below:

not the best pic but the white part on the top right of the pile is the speaker adapter:

2qkhw5v.jpg

this is the opening without the adapter:

5p051g.jpg

this was with my test speaker checking for clearance to the glass:

2uo72o1.jpg

just try to center the speaker and get the new screw holes as far away from the edge of the opening, you can see in my pic above where the screw holes are and how one of them is very close to the edge,

if the speaker you are going to use is too deep you can use a spacer behind it,

nice thing about the pathfinder door panels, that you don't see the speaker at all ( compared to say the hardbody's with the flat door panels),