R50 Auto to Manual Swap

Alfredo24PR

Anyone ever done it? I have a 2002 RWD model which is turbocharged (for those of you that dont know). Automatic transmission is ok, but its not manageable with my Haltech ECU and its the second time I have had problems with it. It just does not keep up with the Path's power.

Anyone know what parts do I need to do the swap?

If you have link to a page then better. Thanks for the help.

Here she is. Looking sad and sick of transmission issues :(

E64549EC-E0D4-4F5A-B253-4D26D3B70479-652
  • Like 1

Interesting setup. I would guess you need the pedal assembly, clutch master cylinder, clutch lines and so on. Shouldn't be any harder than a regular swap from Auto to Manual. If you had a junk yard or a donor truck I would imagine it would make thinks 100 times easier.

Nice now the hard part is finding a manual nissan pathfinder r50.

Anyone know the difference in manual transmission between a 96-99 path vs a 2002?

There were no manual transmissions bought in my country for 2001-2004 models but im sure I could find a 96-99

I cant say for sure, but im fairly sure they are different. If they transmissions aren't different, the bell-housings are definitely different.

There was one guy way back on the forums who i think was doing either a 3.5 swap into a pre 99 or a manual swap on a 01+. I cant remember correctly, but i remember he has a difficult time getting a hold of a 3.5 bell-housing.

I can try and dig up that old thread for you if you like. (it didn't have a lot of info and he either gave up, never updated his page, or was killed, (i remember him being Russian :shrug: ))

Is looking in the states for a 3.5 wreck out of your reach? Puerto Rico is close enough to get some access to american parts? no?

But i wish you well on your swap, your pathy is friggin HOT and going to be a very fun build to watch, keep us posted on what you end up doing...

-Kyle

Nice now the hard part is finding a manual nissan pathfinder r50.

Anyone know the difference in manual transmission between a 96-99 path vs a 2002?

There were no manual transmissions bought in my country for 2001-2004 models but im sure I could find a 96-99

yes, manual R50's are rare but I do not think your VQ engine will bolt to the older VG 5speed?

Maybe look into VQ frontiers and xterra trannys? they are 6 speed aren't they?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the links. Yes Puerto Rico gets easy access to all american parts. The problem is the shipping cost.

@my1path

I think they are also 5 speed. At least the earlier VQ models.

Thanks for all the links. Yes Puerto Rico gets easy access to all american parts. The problem is the shipping cost.

@my1path

I think they are also 5 speed. At least the earlier VQ models.

Yeah, i figured as much, but my1path is on to something, maybe sourcing a trans from a similar car? but making it all work together may prove to be problematic. its really hard to say.

I'd say it's cheaper to just buy a manual pathfinder and swap everything from that on to your pathfinder. I got lucky and found a super clean manual 3.3. But there are quite a few rusty manual pathfinders forsale in my area under $1500.

I was looking around for manual pathfinders, but could not find any on my area.

I also had mentioned a manual swap to a nissan mechanic and he said to swap a 6 speed from a 350z into it. He said its possible, but I will talk to him again for the details because from words to action there is a long way...

What about getting a hold of a Z32 or 350 transmission and having an adapter plate made to make it mate up to the VQ engine, i know that Chuck over on Nico said that the manual for the pathy couldn't handle the torque. Well what about getting a trans that can?

There is a company in Florida called Mazworx that makes an adapter plate that will get the VH engine (infinity q45 V8) and adapt it to a Z32 VG transmission.

This is their kit

http://www.mazworx.com/product/vhvg-into-schassis/vhvg-schassis-mounts-and-adapter-kit

i its $1500 but its specifically meant to fit into an S14 silvia chasis, but its a good concept, so if you can find a hardcore fab shop that can do a VQ to VG (or whatever else you can find) adapter plate, that might be worth doing.

Just throwing out some ideas.

-Kyle

That's a very nice find. Tomorrow I will be taking my path to get the auto transmission electrical problem fixed and I will talk to the mechanic about manual transmission swapping options. Will keep updated.

Thanks.

path had a bad circuit which caused it to turn off a lot during driving. thats being fixed then transmission not engangin in 4th gear problem would be solved. Hopefully very soon :/

Thats good news, i think? :scratchhead:

I was more curious at the Swap status, lol sorry im dying to know about this capability. :lmao:

-Kyle

If you have an automatic, Im not sure you can swap in a manual. Due to the fact that the auto pathfinders have some sort of power valves right below the upper intake plenum, i think, correct me if im wrong.

Read up on this...http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/14826-power-valve-screws-falling-out-on-35s-01-04/ There should be a picture of an engine from a pathfinder with a manual trans that shows no power valves

Manual pathfinders dont have the power valve in the intake plenum...maybe you could just take the power valve assembly out all together?

Just thought Id let you know.

The ECU would throw a CEL relating to a lack of power valve actuator. Swap the ECU and upper and lower intake manifolds, cap the auto trans cooler lines, and I think you'd be good for a manual swap. No guarantee though, that's just off the top of my head.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

just something to chew on, i think on some vehicles the flywheel is different from an auto to a manual, so u may need a spacer so that your starter and such lines up correctly. /shrug. GL with that, it seems like a worthwhile thing to do. heck just find a 350z and swap ALL of it over. =)