Distributor timing issues

NissanNismoZ

Ok, this is actually for a friend of mine's Pathy, but here goes.
He came over wanting me to change his rotor and bad plug wire that was shorting out on his hood (OUCH!)
So, we did it, and his rotor was stuck on, and with lots of prying we got it off, but the metal piece that screws into the shaft had separated from the rotor. So we take out the middle screw that holds the distributor rotor in line with the distributor shaft, and knocked it out of time, (sort of forgot to mark the position, my bad)
So, we've tried timing it by the crank marks, putting the rotor on at the middle mark on the crank, to number one cyl.
No go.
Tried timing it to my pathy's timing to the crank. No go.
Tried both posittions, one, it back fires LOUDLY as if a gun is being shot, the other 180, just turns and turns to no avail.
Any ideas?? :/
Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!!!
He already had to miss a day of work because of this..oops. I've done all i know what to do..

The furthest left timing mark on the crank is TDC and you need to make sure it's on the compression stroke. You should feel it but pull the NO. 1 plug and make sure the piston is at the top. Take out the distributor and align the dimple on the gear to the arrow on the shaft. It'll rotate a little as you drop it in and it engages the teeth. Put the rotor on and make sure it's pointing directly at the NO. 1 point inside the cap. Should be almost directly left as you're looking at the engine, I think.

No dice..still wont start..any more ideas? :/
Tried swapping the whole ignition system off mine and still nothing, just hits and tries, but rarely.
The starter is getting worn out im sure.
We even tried swapping it 180 and it just backfires loudly..

oh yeah, we know its getting fuel because the plugs are soaked..and we know its getting spark because we keep getting shocked, as one of the coil wires seems to have a crack in it.
Yeah, the starter just spins and spins but doesnt engage now..ugh.
I feel bad for him as now he doesnt have a vehicle, but we had to use the red pathy to pull his up on the trailer to tow it to his house.
I'll get back to this topic when he can afford to get a starter.

oh yeah, we know its getting fuel because the plugs are soaked..and we know its getting spark because we keep getting shocked, as one of the coil wires seems to have a crack in it.

when you do get a new starter make sure to pull a plug and check its actually sparking there.

spark at the coil and even the wires doesnt always mean its sparking at the plug.

when you do get a new starter make sure to pull a plug and check its actually sparking there.

spark at the coil and even the wires doesnt always mean its sparking at the plug.

True that. It could be arcing and loosing the spark on a weak wire. Although, that usually just causes a misfire on a single cylinder. Still worth a look though.

So, they finally got it running and now it just has a miss to it, so i told him to replace the spark plug wires..
All in all, just for replacing the rotor, the radiator and starter all had to be replaced during all this.
Thanks everyone! He says its running way better than it ever has, so im assuming the timing needed adjusted anyway. :)

soaked plugs means an engines getting fuel and no spark... "flooding"

if there wet enough to not start you let them dry out... its gas, it evaporates fairly quickly.

if you have spark your good to go.