What engine gearbox combinations were available in a wd21

deanslost

I have a 1989 wd21 nissan pathfinder. It currently has a very tired napz Z24 in it.

I am trying to make up my mind, rebuild or replace.

I have been offered a wd21 V6 pathfinder that has been rolled I dont know the condition of the engine yet.

And I might be able to get a rusted out wd21 td27 pathy as well.

If I swap to the diesel I believe I just have to get a new blue slip as diesel was an option in this year /model.

I have never seen a factory 2 door v6 though. was this ever an option in Australia ?

And am I correct that if it was an option It doesn't need to be re engineered ?

Thanks

Dean

Edited by deanslost

You've never seen a manual pathy tungsten?

For USDM, every post 90 WD21 Pathfinder I saw came with a VG30E and RE4R01A transmission.

anyway, pathfinders and hardbody pickups came with td27, vg30i, vg30e, ka24i and ka24e.

In USA vg and ka both came in 4x4 and 2wd options in AT4 speeds and MT5 speeds. The 2wd and the ka were not as common for the pickup and rare in the pathfinder.

The KA used different transmissions that do not bolt up to the VG. I THINK the TD will bolt up to the same transmissions as a KA would.

• Like 1

You've never seen a manual pathy tungsten?

Nope, only autos. The only manuals I remember were the older ones. I guess automatic was a more popular choice in the US. Good point though because I definitely missed that. :lol:

In regards to the Australian laws you're best off searching in the 4wd Action Forum.Out of the pathfinders I have seen in Australia most were 4 door v6's but never a 2 door v6. I have seen a 2 door pathfinder but it was a 4 cylinder. The Terranos on the other hand, Mostly diesel but sometimes a 2 door v6 like mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've Done some research, I found a document on the RTA website that details the possibilities.

I am allowed to install any engine that was a standard option on this model, I am still trying to confirm what motors were available in a 1989 wd21 2 door in OZ.

I am allowed to install any engine as long as it is not more then 20% larger in power output then the original.

I am going to have to talk to an engineer to see how much it will cost me if I want to put in something that is not an original option and is more then 20% larger.

In the meantime I am waiting on a 32/36 weber and if that makes enough of a difference I'll reco the engine and hopefully be happy.

Thanks for the help

Dean

• 2 weeks later...