Custom winch bumper for under $600 - anyone from Louisville, KY here?

stioc

I talked to RLC www.rlcweldfab.com about making a winch bumper for the Pathfinder. Here's what they said:

"I'd like to see the mounting locations on the vehicle, but most of my winch bumpers are in the $450-575 range. If you can find a local guy (Louisville, KY) that will be fine.

An xterra club sent a guy a few years ago and that worked out well.
Thanks,
James"
Any interest? I think the price is quite reasonable for a custom winch bumper especially if it comes in around $500!

I like the Xterra bumper....good looking product. Might need to find a local WD21 owner to get in there as well. There is a place local to me (winchready.com) that I've been wanting to go into and talk to but their prices are certainly higher than that Fab shop I believe, and I'd need to find a local R50 guy to help you out

Funny thing I was on the xterra forms last night and was looking at this guys work and thinking. Anybody measure the distance of the bumper bumper mounts, the lengths and widths and cross reference them with the 1st gen xterra ?

After seeing that someone took the r50 bumper and put it on there xterra it seems that they might be a lot closer to being the same in dimensions. I can't for the life of me remember who did it but the had a silver xterra I believe with the tag bumper without hoops. They had it on an r50 previously. If we could figure out who it was and what was done to make it fit maybe we could open up a lot more possible options for bumpers for us. Who knows. Maybe it bolts up. I doubt it but it might?

Funny thing I was on the xterra forms last night and was looking at this guys work and thinking. Anybody measure the distance of the bumper bumper mounts, the lengths and widths and cross reference them with the 1st gen xterra ?

After seeing that someone took the r50 bumper and put it on there xterra it seems that they might be a lot closer to being the same in dimensions. I can't for the life of me remember who did it but the had a silver xterra I believe with the tag bumper without hoops. They had it on an r50 previously. If we could figure out who it was and what was done to make it fit maybe we could open up a lot more possible options for bumpers for us. Who knows. Maybe it bolts up. I doubt it but it might?

The guy I know who put his ARB R50 bumper on his then new Xterra was drkgband, he's on xterranation.com

mudfilledvaynes, that's a really nice looking bumper. Having some experience working with metal I'm impressed with the angles in the bumper. Proportionally too it looks better than the $$$$ big name bumpers. If you happen to have any details on the mounts/brackets I'd love to see it. That to me is the more complex part because with that one could potentially just attach any C-channel cut to size and slightly bent in the corners similar to the olden days Jeeps/trucks.

Well I just used the stock tow loops as a point of contact and welded the bumper to them, and then I used a plate on the back and cut holes for the stock bumper mounts. So there are 14 points of contact where the bumper bolts up. I think I spent about $400 to build that bumper in parts which included the steel, bolts, grinder wheels, and welding wire. It just takes some imagination is all.

0226111428-1_zps504a7481.jpg

• Like 1

Well I just used the stock tow loops as a point of contact and welded the bumper to them, and then I used a plate on the back and cut holes for the stock bumper mounts. So there are 14 points of contact where the bumper bolts up. I think I spent about $400 to build that bumper in parts which included the steel, bolts, grinder wheels, and welding wire. It just takes some imagination is all.

0226111428-1_zps504a7481.jpg

& welding skills, welding equipment, a grinder & of course the time a place to do all this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I would love to make my own bumper, but it's really not feasible for me due to the reasons listed above. :itsallgood:

• Like 1

Good idea using the tow hooks as the lower attachment points. How does the stock bumper attach to the frame? Does anyone have pics of the backside of the stock bumper?

The stock bumper uses the 6 dots in red I have marked in the picture, it bolts up 2x on eatch side and the higher dots out of the 6 it just slides on and you tighten up the bolts. It is really easy actually.