brush gaurd or bull bar for 99.5

shoesandsocks

So i have been saving up and i def think that my truck needs some love from the looks department my only think is i cant decide i really like them both i just dont know what i really want. whats the pros and cons if there are any any input would be appreciated let me know what u guys think.

bull bar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-Nissan-Pathfinder-Infiniti-QX4-Bull-Bar-Guard-/121032076958?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3APathfinder&hash=item1c2e12ee9e&vxp=mtr

brush guard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-04-Nissan-Pathfinder-Grill-Brush-Guard-01-02-03-2000-/120988547980?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2b7abb8c&vxp=mtr

Bars like these are great for mounting lights and such, but if i were you i would save my pennies and buy a full steel beefy bumper from a company like A.R.B. When you hit something with a bar like what you suggested, all its going to do is cause more damage to your rig. What you want is something that is protective, and is going to last. But the final decision is up to you. :happy:

• Like 1

^^agreed^^ those are damage multipliers, and anything that mounts outside of your bumper cuts into your approach angle. Your MPG will take a little hit, maybe some extra wind noise...

I bet you could have a local fabricator come up with a design you would like, that provides actual protection, and won't cost an arm and a leg. Plus keep your money local!

• Like 1

I'm looking to replace my brush guard with a small bumper but the ARB/TAG bumpers are just to big & clunky. I'm trying to find a Heep bumper that can be adapted, something like this........... www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj-winch-bumper_1057.html

• Like 1

:laugh: :laugh:

My guard has been so beat up & bent you wouldn't want it!

It was a cheap, Chinese Fleabay knock off but it's done it's job well. Trouble with brush guards is they extend you front forwards by about a foot or so, cuts down on the angle you can go up & down slopes.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a nice brush guard that came off of a 1999 Pathy. The brackets weren't long enough to fit mine so I extended the brackets and finally got the brush guard on. I haven't welded in 4 years but came out ok without any practice welds.

7A7FF5DC-0BDB-4EB3-8316-4793B3A7DE78-159]

3B804280-752B-49DF-B824-691CA30F325F-159

4B57AE8E-975C-47E2-93F9-B18FB8CD2F10-817

And of course now that the brush guard is on I'm thinking of removing it already, while it looks nice! unfortunately it doesn't feel like it would withstand to yank straps and makes the approach angle worse :(

In Australia we call those nudge bars because that's all they're good for. Fabricating is almost always the best option but if right now that is out of the question I would say go with the second one. It is only an extra hundred or so and not only will it make your rig look MUCH better than the other one would, but it has a much better/stronger design than the other bar and would protect your vehicle much more in the event of a collision.

Looks like the same one I got on my 98. Saved my hood when I took out a 4x4 traffic sign when I hit black ice. And it didn't even have a mark on it. So I guess it's decent. Thou a real bumper would be better. But honestly I think your truck looks cleaner without it.

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="borninabarn" data-cid="654313" data-time="1360623279"><p>

I found this site for some inexpensive Grille guards/Bull Bars But havent ordered anything yet? Check it out:<br />

<a href='http://www.truckgeardirect.com/?ITEMID=WN-802'>http://www.truckgeardirect.com/?ITEMID=WN-802</a></p></blockquote>

Heeeeyyy you made it over from the Nissan path. Com glad to have you over here.

Welcome

-Kyle

I'm currently debating installing a brush guard on my new (to me) Titan.

I have a one on my 1999.5 Pathfinder & think it looks pretty good. Dealer installed option, so ?maybe a teensy bit better than current knock offs. The one I have has the hoop around the headlights, but not the 3 bars directly acrossed the headlight.

Mine is powder coated grey & the drivers side headlight used to bother me. Caused me a little bit of distraction while driving because the headlight would light up the brush guard hoop a little bit. Taped a piece of black rubber there (bike innertube), and no more reflecting distraction.

As good as a real bumper? No way.

Damage multiplyer? I had allways thought so myself, but a recent thread on another board makes me think otherwise. Obviously depends on the type & speed of a crash/impact.