Junkyard Front Limited Slip Diff Options!

Nefarious

I'm in the middle of an LSD install myself. I couldn't find a junkyard unit, so I ordered the carrier through Calmini. Just ordered Side Bearings and Shims from Alkorahil. Something I received in e-mail back from him:

Interesting note: these parts ordered were resurrected for use in the rear diff of the 2009-2013 370Z.

I doubt you would find one in the junkyard, but a wrecked one on kijiji, might have what you're looking for.

I'm not sure. I think the side bearings and shims are the same, but looking at the difference between the 300zx LSD and the 370 LSD in the sport models, I think there's a big difference myself. The carrier may be the same, but it would require some more research. I don't even know what type of an LSD would be in the 370Z. It lists it as a Limited slip, but it's deffinitly not the clutch type that's in the 300zx.

This isn't posting the diagrams I copied in, but you can check them out yourself on the courtesy parts website.

Edit: It looks like it's a viscous LSD in the 370Z anyhow.

Edited by pathybuilder

• 3 weeks later...
i really do not want an auto locker, this is my winter truck and i need it as sure-footed as possible in the snowy and icy roads where i live... automatic lockers, especially in the front diff are way too much for a winter roads driven daily driver vehicle! if it was strictly trail then i would just go auto locker front and rear, but i need the smooth engagement of the LSD, my girlfriend is also going to be driving this vehicle once in a while too with her 2 children in the truck so i need it safe and predictable. i have seen my friends with auto lockers drive in the snow and ice...its pretty comical lol

I'm planning on a Lokka myself - its not a lunch box locker like your thinking. It provides continuous drive (always locked) operation on the inside wheel and allows a wheel to overrun the powered wheel (so the outside wheel can go around the corner)...

i really do not want an auto locker, this is my winter truck and i need it as sure-footed as possible in the snowy and icy roads where i live... automatic lockers, especially in the front diff are way too much for a winter roads driven daily driver vehicle! if it was strictly trail then i would just go auto locker front and rear, but i need the smooth engagement of the LSD, my girlfriend is also going to be driving this vehicle once in a while too with her 2 children in the truck so i need it safe and predictable. i have seen my friends with auto lockers drive in the snow and ice...its pretty comical lol

Front lockers work better on winter roads if you have manual hubs and leave one unlocked. Essentially, 3 wheel drive.

Then your not battling the under-steer associated with both wheels trying to move the same speed when cornering on ice.