Junkyard Front Limited Slip Diff Options!

Nefarious

hey everyone... just wondering about options for a front LSD. I have a R200A up front and just finished swapping in a disc brake/limited slip rear axle in, wondering what kind of junk yard options I have to upgrade the front diff to LSD? I know the 87-89 facelifted Z31 turbo diffs will work. Would the C200 that is in 4 cyl pathys/HBs LSD be compatible? Any other vehicles with clutch type LSD with a 200 series diff that will work? I thought I read a while back that maybe Subaru used the same diff as nissan for some models...

I am beating myself up for missing one just the other week at pick-a-part which was a 88 z31 turbo I could have got for probably around 75$..lol...but anyways... are there other vehicles that have a Clutch type LSD?

Are there any mods that must be done to make this work? I am just stoked on finally getting in a rear LSD to complement the 33x12.5s and all the lift I have in the truck now...A front LSD would complete the deal!

I just thought I read somewhere that the c200 and r200 LSD on 4x4 parts could be interchangeable so I was hoping it was the case for oem lsds too. Oh well off to search for an 87 to 89 300zx turbo lol...

i really don't know about that one.... im up in canada but i don't know how I would tell if the front had lsd,...theres lots of pathfinders in the junk yards here but how would i identify a front lsd? would there be a sticker on it as well, like the rear diff? I am REALLY wanting to find a front LSD, so i can do the diff drop bushings at the same time...

a few other forums have said they have used a c200 lsd in the r200a...one guy with an xterra on nissan4wheelers said he has a c200 lsd in his front r200a....can't find any more info than that though...hmmm im surprised not more people on here have explored front LSD options thoroughly!

Hmm I wonder if this would work... 400$ for a Helical gear based LSD.. i am going to do some research on how effective they would be offroad..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OBX-Helical-LSD-Nissan-300ZX-240Z-240SX-R200-End-Z31-/160939826909?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2578c2dedd&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1#ht_2328wt_1037

heres some posts with a couple people saying they are using c200 lsd in the front r200a of their nissan 4x4, one is def a 94 pathfinder....hmmm....the options seem to be opening up a little...

http://www.nissan4wheelers.com/displayForumTopic/content/286003431025223793

heres some info i dug up from someone using a r200a clutch type lsd from calmini in the rear of his 240sx and what mods needed to be done...i assume it would be backwards to fit the 240sx VLSD into the r200a housing then...i remember reading something about the axle shaft lengths adn this seems to confirm it.. hmm

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7306&highlight=

Yeah, if the 240 has a limited slip, it's most likely a VLSD, Nissan loved using those for some reason.

VLSD uses different axles than your standard open or CLSD differential. But, just for the sake of it, they are an R200 axle. And I'm not 100% but you can buy aftermarket limited slips for an open differential in a 240, wonder if it could work in the R200a in the Pathfinder.

i would think it would still help quite a bit...

all 240sx in canada have VLSD including my own. it really doesnt take much spinning before the other wheel kicks in...its basically instant... when i lay strips of tire they are both equal length anyways, or driving in the snow, the other side kicks in pretty much right away even at slow spin speeds. not quite as instant as a clutch lsd but its still quite an improvement over open.

considering trying it out. its got to be better than an open diff and it "should" be easier to steer than a clutch lsd since it kicks in a little more gradually. TONS of VLSDs up here in canada since every model of 240sx uses a VLSD R200! I believe the J30 did as well..

i really do not want an auto locker, this is my winter truck and i need it as sure-footed as possible in the snowy and icy roads where i live... automatic lockers, especially in the front diff are way too much for a winter roads driven daily driver vehicle! if it was strictly trail then i would just go auto locker front and rear, but i need the smooth engagement of the LSD, my girlfriend is also going to be driving this vehicle once in a while too with her 2 children in the truck so i need it safe and predictable. i have seen my friends with auto lockers drive in the snow and ice...its pretty comical lol