Fog Light Replacement/Upgrade?

KTempleton

Anyone ever seen or done a upgrade or conversion to a brighter light on the fogs in the corner of the front bumper? I've contemplated getting some off-road lights but unsure how I want to mount them. I tend to like the cleaner look. Just an Idea and thought I would check before I start trying to tear stuff apart.

well there are plenty of things u can do to your foglights its just an h3 bulb lots of possibilites. For us offroad guys the osram nightbreaker seem to be a popular choice i have pure white led in mine i bought of ebay and there stupid bright. And if u want u can also run an Hid in there which is fairly straight forward and easyly plug and played and u can have them as bright and in any color u want. then u can tint the light to manipulate light color as well i have mine painted the jdm yellow so to speak. Just be creative and ull come up with something cool.

mine for reference

2012-11-04213554.jpg

feel free to pm ive been doing custom lights for a while so i can help u with alot of questions if u have them.

• Like 1

ebay is the cheapest and best just get a h3 kit i went with led just cause i didnt want to mount the ballast had a lazy moment

this is the seller i used hes always given me great customer service and i have ordered about 12 kits for me and my friends not a single kit has died yet just type in h3 and order the kit and let him know what temperature

http://myworld.ebay.com/zgperformance&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

I was using PIAA bulbs for a while. They "look" like 50 or 80-100watts or somesuch when on, but only use a bit over OEM rating. They were VERY bright, but also short lifespan.

At the suggestion from folks here or over on NICO-I then did one of those plug & play HID kits. 35Watt, slim ballasts. I got the yellow color ?3000K, and also put some vinyl film over the foglight glass (looks just like shoes & socks above). I had to do some dremeling to the OEM plastic socket for bulb/wire fitment, but that was about it.

I did the foglight/headlight-relay modification & run them all the time. Kinda like daytime running lights during the day, and with my headlights after dark. They work great! The yellow color also works excellent for when I need them as fogs in inclement weather. Much better than a "white" light in my opinion.

I did have an issue after I first installed them with them being a "greenish" color. The company I bought them from sent replacement bulbs no problem, and they work fine now. I bought them from V-leds, but I think they have since discontinued selling HID's.

whats this foglight relay mod have not seen it yet i just have my fog light and headlights on all the time when i open my door with the key out it shuts off by itself that was i never forget it

The foglight relay modification lets you use the foglights with the headlights off. They will turn off with the key out like the headlights do, depending how you do the modification.

I thought we had sticky here on how to do it, but I didn't see one.

Think I'm going to do the ebay route seems pretty easy. Is that all I select? H3 and the color. I would like them as bright as possible. I only plan on using them on back roads and off road. Never really use the fogs

if u go by a halogen bulb u wanna go by the wattage if u go by led obviously the watage will be alot different because they use less power and if your ordering hids then u order it by color when u order it in what temp u want i.e 3000k amber yellow or 16k horribly bright purple.

camelfilter im surprised that with vleds kit there stuff is usually hifgh quality those are the only place i buy my gauge cluster leds from i cant believe anything from them would go bad at all.

Edited by shoesandsocks
  • Like 1

LED fog light update:::

Not much brighter than the halogen but a really nice white light. The LED cluster is very long & wider than a halogen bulb so I had to cut a bigger hole in the reflector for the LED "bulb" to go thru.

Oh, by the way @shoesandsocks, I found the instructions for the relay mod, I'm going to do it this weekend as I want independent fog lights that don't have to be run through the low beam headlights. I'll try to post the link to the thread if I can find it again (like a total plank I forgot to copy the url when I found it), if not then Ill post the instructions here.

Alright if you're happy with it I guess it's good. :lol:

Remember the job of fog lights is to light up the corners of the road, it is not to compliment the headlights. Even basic filament bulbs work just fine. HIDs are not a good idea for fog lights because they are not ideal for bad weather driving at all.

• Like 1

Alright if you're happy with it I guess it's good. :lol:

Remember the job of fog lights is to light up the corners of the road, it is not to compliment the headlights. Even basic filament bulbs work just fine. HIDs are not a good idea for fog lights because they are not ideal for bad weather driving at all.

You forget young sir, fog & bad weather are a virtually unknown experience here in California :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have a company car as my daily runabout so I want my Pathy fog lights for daytime running lights & to give more light up close with high beam when off road in the desert. I did the mod today & tada! fog lights on without headlights, takes about 15 mins to do the mod. I can post a detailed step by step with photos if someone wants a better "how to" than the link above. The mod is for an R50 but it must be similar for the antique Pathfinder versions also. :lol::D:itsallgood:

I don't know how they are like on the R50 but the fog lights on antique Pathfinders are real fog lights. They have the correct bulb and pattern. Some people swap out the fog lights for driving lights or install driving lights if the fog lights are not there. I personally don't like that because it gives the illusion of safety and does not make you really focus on what is up ahead. People do this mod because the factory sad eye headlights are almost inadequate for use at night.

Using the lower fog lights on the R50 as DRL is not a bad idea but DRL lights don't need to be bright in the first place. On WD21s the factory DRLs for places that require them are high beams that are run at half the brightness (or about 32.5 watts).

Also running fog lights without running the headlights is actually illegal in some states which is why Nissan makes the fog lights turn on with low beams from factory. You want to check with your local laws on that.