Tailgate glass for 95 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Canuck

Today my tailgate glass blew to bits on my 95 Pathfinder SE while driving at 70 on our freeway to downtown. No idea what happened, but I did go through an underpass and there was lots of sanding grit on the road because we had a sleet storm.

I got it taped shut with plastic film temporarily, went to Autoglass Shop for repair, they are ordering a new piece. From catalogue info there are 2 types of replacements available for the 1995 Nissan:

One which has 10 holes (for late models95's and 1996) for mounting bolts etc., and one which has none for 1994 and earlier.

From what we can still determine my old glass had 2 bolt holes each for the 2 top hinges, 2 holes for the lock latch, and 1 hole each for each of the the 2 stay-open struts. That makes 8 holes.

The old glass was also equipped with a defrost heater, however it appear it was surface mounted, but I cannot tell for sure. The glass also was tinted, the shop called it "chromed".

Anybody know what the extra holes are for?

Yes, the defroster is surface mounted. Only thing that doesn't make sense is that there was a total body change from 1995 to 1996, WD21 to R50. The rear glass looks much the same but the bottom (widest point) for the WD21 is 55" and only 54" on the R50. I looked at my WD21 and only counted 8 holes as this schematic shows.

3615140.gif

The R50 has 10 holes, 2 more for the interior mounted 3rd brake light.

Your autoglass guys are screwing up or misinformed. You need a 1995 and earlier WD21 rear glass with 8 holes, 55" wide at the bottom. You're lucky I own both so I can walk out to the driveway with a tape measure and scratch my head... :D

B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Precise1 - your info is what the glass wholesalers should put in their catalog, then nobody would need to guess. My glass shop ordered both pieces of glass, we installed the one that supposedly had NO holes, but when arrived - it had the 8 holes we needed. Only problem it has no dark "Chrome" tint, but just a light blue one. We could apply a dark film next summer.

This issue is solved - thanks.