Ruger 10/22 (split from GrandpaX's 87 twin turbo thread)

GrandpaX

Ruger 10/22 pistol with a 50 round drum! Love the play toys! I just ordered another 75 round AK drum and another 100 round AR drum, got to love the Christmas specials. I hear those little pistols are accurate enough to hunt with so it's not just a play toy. A game warding might frown on you if your hunting with a 50 round drum though!

James

James is correct.. They call these pistols Ruger Chargers. Ruger sells them as a pistol. That is a 50 round drum and they also sell a 70 rounder...

Mine is fairly modified compared to the factory version.

I used this for target shooting (works on my trigger pull). Then take the Ruger 10/22 out for the hunting part. It is apart right now... post up pics when it is together.

Edited by GrandpaX

James is correct.. They call these pistols Ruger Chargers. Ruger sells them as a pistol. That is a 50 round drum and they also sell a 70 rounder...

Mine is fairly modified compared to the factory version.

I used this for target shooting (works on my trigger pull). Then take the Ruger 10/22 out for the hunting part. It is apart right now... post up pics when it is together.

Hunting with a pistol is just for the challenge. I sometimes carry my T/C pistol with a 30-30 barrel when I'm deer hunting but never got an opportunity to use it on a deer yet.

When it comes to hunting small game with a rifle I use my Savage 17 HMR. There is no comparison in the accuracy. I have a regular 10/22 and a factory target model with the bull barrel and I reworked the trigger but neither come close to the accuracy of the 17. I can head shot squirrels under my deer feeder at 75 yards with the 17. With the 10/22 I burned a few but didn't kill them. I never did try target ammo in the 10/22 though, just regular federals.

James

I used a 17 Rem in the past. Have yet to make the HMR/HM2 leap. Keeping my eyes pealed for local 10/22 receivers for such conversions. Maybe down the road.

My 10/22 is also the Ruger target version. Stainless with the hammer forged barrel. It is currently waiting on Volquartsen for thier complete trigger guard assembly. The moving parts will then be a complete Volquartsen setup.

IMAG0965Custom.jpg

56440_4942823695323_3112950_o.jpg

Edited by GrandpaX

Pretty gun! Myself personally I like black guns. I think I only have one stainless gun, a ruger GP100. Everything else is blued. I see you have done some mods to it. Mine is still factory except for polishing the trigger myself. I thought about upgrading the trigger with one of those complete drop in housing but I don't shoot it enough. If I need small game accuracy I grab the 17.

The 17 rem is a cannon compared to the 17 HMR. I think the rem pushes 20 grain bullets around 3500 or 4000 fps where the HMR is only 2300 fps. It is extremely accurate though. After sighting mine in the first time I shot off the tacks that were holding the target at 50 yards.

Here's a quick pic of my 10/22s

D96A5265-3024-42B7-995F-C2C3D7401E68-10076-0000066C4DB89181.jpg

The one on the bottom is a standard carbine that my dad gave me when I was 13. I gave it hell but it still looks good and functions perfect for a 30 year old gun.

Middle is my target version and the top one is my standard contour barrel savage 17 HMR that I paid $169 for brand new. My brother got the heavy barrel 17 but it doesn't shoot any better than mine.

That vid is sweet! I never tried shooting passed 100 yards with any 22lr. Now I'm going to have to try! Our range has gongs at 100, 200, and 300 yards. Should be fun.

James

I guess it is time to make a "Ruger 10/22" thread... Is there a moderator who could move the gun posts into a thread of it's own. This could go on for awhile and deserves a place of it's own. Thanks, Ryan

Edited by GrandpaX

Damn, some nice stuff in here! I really like the Charger and was eyeballing them pretty hard until I learned that they aren't approved for sale in Cali. I'm not sure if Ruger just didn't want to bother or if it is considered a modified/short barreled rifle (16" minimum length to be legal). Either way, no Charger for me... :angry:

As for blued VS stainless, I'll go with stainless any day for the better ease of maintenance but something parkerized or whatnot is acceptable also. It's just preference.

The 200 yard shots doesn't surprise me at all, but the 500 yards makes my jaw drop. I'm really wondering what ammo is being used.

Ok, I'll play too, but mine isn't nearly as advanced as the others posted. Here is my semi-stock 10/22 stainless/synthetic. It has see through scope mounts so you can use the iron sights, an old Simmons 3x9 I had laying around, an aftermarket extended, reversed direction mag release (like a second trigger in front of the trigger guard) and a spring kit in it. I hate the plastic trigger group so that will have to be changed out but I'm not sold on a bull barrel yet. I think for now I could better use the $ elsewhere...

101.jpg

To get around the California 10 round mag silliness, I have a tri-mag holder that bolts 3 of the stock 10 round clips together. You still have to drop the clip, rotate, reinstall and pull the bolt, but with the tri-mag to hold on to and the aftermarket magazine release, it goes pretty quick. I keep dust caps on the 2 mags not in use but still have 30 rounds on the gun.

096.jpg

I'm not a hunter so this is all for plinking, targets and zombies. :lol:

B

I'm familiar with the Volquartsen products, top of the line stuff! The link you posted is for the plastic trigger assembly (they mention no stoning required)? Do you have the plastic unit as well? For $40 I sure wouldn't mind trying if it should make the difference, but otherwise I was saving for a full metal drop assembly.

B

Something like this is what I would go for to improve the trigger.

http://www.midwayusa...ger-10-22-black

Saves time and your done with the trigger all in one purchase! A bone stock 10/22 is a very accurate rifle already though. How much could something like this improve it. I never tried benchrest shooting with either of my 10/22s other than to sight in the scopes. So not sure about improving groups.

B, If you want a bull barrel go for the carbon fiber tension barrel. They are supposed to be as accurate as factory bull barrels without all the weight. You wouldn't believe how heavy these things are!

James

That's kind of what I was thinking, but the big problem is the price. That's almost as much as I paid for the gun, and with the extra mags and other items, I'd be into the 22 for $500-600. I know people go way deeper than that, but that's a lot for a plinker to me. My thoughts were to go with a drop in trigger (I haven't decided on Volquartsen, Timney, Wolff, or whom ever else) and see if it fives me the feel and accuracy I expect.

I hear you about the bull barrels vs carbon fiber though. Mine unloaded is 5.5lbs, I certainly don't want to add weight. The other side is that if I replace the barrel, I'd have to get another stock as well (or seriously modify the stock) and here we are with even more $. Yeah, I'm cheap... :D

I'll drop in a trigger assembly and see what that does first. ;)

B

I hear you on the price. If your wanting a target 10/22 you would be better off starting with a factory target model. I bought mine several year back so I'm not sure what they cost now but I paid $275. Now I could change out the trigger housing and maybe a better recoil spring and firing pin and still be under $600 for a pretty accurate target rifle. Not having to change the barrel and stock saves me a couple of hundred. That carbine is a good take anywhere rifle, especially the stainless and composite version you have. They are light and easy to handle, short enough to hold in one hand and the barrel won't touch the ground. A perfect survival rifle!

Firearms is my first hobby so I don't worry too much on the price, if I want it I save up for it. I built a dedicated 22lr AR M4 that cost me $800. That's expensive for a 22lr but it's what I wanted and it's more accurate than my standard AR15 with the conversion unit. That was before S&W and all the other manufacturers started building them for a lot less. The good thing about mine though is it's a standard AR lower so I can change the upper to what ever caliber I want.

James

Very good points all around. I see that HK is now making a 22lr 'black rifle' and that is tempting me as I like most HK products, but then when limited to a 10 round mag, I don't see much benefit over what I already have.

That carbine is a good take anywhere rifle, especially the stainless and composite version you have. They are light and easy to handle, short enough to hold in one hand and the barrel won't touch the ground. A perfect survival rifle!

Which it pretty much how I intend to keep it, hence the see through mounts, etc. :aok:

B

• 3 months later...

Those are very nice, but then you know that... :D

I finally got out to the range a few weeks ago, and my stock 10/22 shot fairly well. It was the first outing with the gun and the wife and sighting it in, so I didn't have the time to test different ammo for accuracy changes. CCI Mini Mag 40 grain RN shot well at 50 yards, but seemed to drop and wander significantly at 100. Unfortunately, this range only has 25, 50, 100, 200 and 300 yards with paper targets only so its not the best for testing out a new gun. The wife liked to shoot it a lot, so I suspect she will be monopolizing it. We already talked about upgrades and she seemed interested... :whistle:

B

I've been wanting to get a 10/22 for my son's 13th birthday because I was 13 when my dad gave me mine, but they are not available anywhere right now! The guy at academy told me guys were buying the ones with the pink stocks and then changing them just so they could get their hands on one.

Obama definitely is the best gun salesman ever!

James

• 2 weeks later...